The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Old Wood Version Simular To Crazy Spots (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Way back when I was kid in the 60's I had a wood version that worked just like Crazy Spots.It was rectangle shaped had brass hinge light color hardwood wood very vice. Anyone know what the name of this item was called maybe Wonder Spots, Magic Spots? I just got Tenyo Crazy Spots with some other stuff quality of the wood one makes me wish I still had that one. Wood version was made before tenyo one which was made in 1969. Anyone know what the wood one was called or who made it?
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The trick "Crazy Spots" was being made in plastic in Germany for years before Tenyo put it out. My father gave me one when I was a kid.

I'm sure wooden versions were produced in the 1940s.

Many of the early Tenyo products were copies of items produced in other countries, often with no improvement. "Funny Dog," for example, is an exception, because the sponge "balls" are in the shapes of little dogs rather than rabbits.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Kinda rings a vague bell Mr.Wizard, but the name escapes me. I also remember a version which was a color blindness test type. Again, the name is elusive.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Wish I still had the old one. Like all my old magic when I got into high school I thought I am too old to be messing with these cheap toy tricks anymore and sold them all at swap meet. Now I wish I never did that not because they are worth much money. I wish I had them for the memories of those days. That Wood Crazy Spots was one on my favorites. Played with it until the paint was starting to come off the outside edges of both sides of the gimmick so got rid of it. Never thought I would not be able to go back to the fun shop and buy another one just like it anytime. If I thought I would never see another one I would kept it and repainted the spot since it didn't have to match anything.

Kinda like this item El Torero Magic Illusion Bull Fighter Toy by "Franco American". Why I ever got rid of that I'll never know. I can have it again on ebay for 60.00!!!!!! NOT!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270973371399?ssP......23.l2649
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Totally relate to those held memories of the days past my friend. Funny how it goes. For most people, I think music is the trigger. Ditto also that the money just doesn't matter...it was the time, the places, the friends, loved ones & shared experiences. True magic moments to go with the magic. The new skills learning curve was a joy also, (even if we didn't know it at the time). All new. All fresh. If we're doing things right...hopefully it is still this way.

I see that Bull Fighter went from 75 cents to $60. Isn't that illegal for a non-Tenyo item? Smile
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 22:00, Inert wrote:
I see that Bull Fighter went from 75 cents to $60. Isn't that illegal for a non-Tenyo item? Smile

I think so, but it is worse than that.

I got mine for 10 cents and 3 labels from cans of SpaghettiOs which is one of Franco Americans best ever selling items for kids. So for $60.00 I think he will be looking at that for some time.

Was an amazing toy in those days almost real magic to a kid. Love to see it on my shelf but even $30.00 I would have to think hard about it. Smile

As a side note I see a T-153 Diabolicus just sold for $80.99 new isn't that cheap for this item?
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I bought my Bull Fighter three years ago for 60 USD too ... I knew it was much but it's such a lovely illusion.

80,99 for a Diabolicus isn't a lot if it was mint in package.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Can either one of you guys tell me how the bulls' head gets into the case? Does the key thing just slide in? It's not exposing the secret is it? Am I right in thinking that the illusion is the sword appears to go through the neck of the bull, similar to the pin & wand effect?

Thanx in advance.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
You're absolutely right Inert Smile It does look VERY convincing, much more than Pin And Wand imo.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Quote:
Am I right in thinking that the illusion is the sword appears to go through the neck of the bull...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzJ8jSEt5ec
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Yes it is very convincing illusion.
Bulls head / pin goes in the front and can be seen sticking it the back.

It is really going all the way through the device.
Sliding lever makes loud clicking sound swords goes through the neck.
Slide the lever the other way it goes back through the other direction.

Can be done by anyone using it so not something the spectator cannot do when it's handed to them.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The decapitation illusion is great because it's one of those tricks that fools anyone who does it because you can't see the sword swing around in the other direction because it snaps so quickly. The wooden stick through the safety pin is a different story because that needs to be performed: it's not automatic. The performer knows how it works, but the spectators do not.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
WHAT !!??!! SIXTY DOLLARS FOR AN OLD TOY !!??!!

Perhaps some crazy collectors are hunting those well sought objects...

BTW, this one is still missing to my collection ... and my birthday's coming soon Smile
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Quote:
BTW, this one is still missing to my collection ... and my birthday's coming soon

Wow, $114 off! Now that's a bargain.
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Wow awesome collection....congratulations simcoscor!!!
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Seller of that El Torero says great WORKING conduction has a few light scratches on the plastic face. Sure would be cautious about those scratches. Just happens to be right where that plastic face cracks is from the center hole out and the bull head hole same way. If not cracked there now it will be. I also had that Yogi one too.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Simon are any of those you have from when you were a child or bought them all as collectables later.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2012-06-05 01:34, MrWizard wrote:
Simon are any of those you have from when you were a child or bought them all as collectables later.

I had a different model when I was a child; it showed a pirate, it was probably made in Japan, and it was different from the pirate's one showed in the above picture... I've always been fascinated by this "novelty trick", based on the eye inertia principle... It was invented by Heinrich Boninger Moritz in 1932, patented in 1933.
If you have (or remind of) a different model, please let me know! Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
...wow I thought I had an understanding wife but your's must be an angel Simon! <g>

John
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
LOL! Yes she is! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Old Wood Version Simular To Crazy Spots (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL