The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Do You Replace a Computer's Video Card? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I need to buy a new video card for my computer. The one I currently have is an ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series card, and it's on its last legs. I have not been happy with this ATI card. My other older computer has an NVIDIA card, and it continues to work fine to this day. I'd like to get an NVIDIA card for my newer computer. What would you recommend? The specs on my newer computer (3 years old) are:

8.00 GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz
64-bit Operating System (Vista, which I hate).

Was also thinking of getting rid of Vista and going with Windows 7. Not sure how to go about changing operating systems. Do you simply delete the old one (Vista) that's on the hard drive and then install the new one? Should this be done before or after the new video card is installed?

Thanks!
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Buy an IMac.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
You could get a Mini Mac if your monitor is still good.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2843 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think you should address these issues to real computer people.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hoodrat, can't help you with replacing the video card but you are supposed to be able to change from Vista to windows 7 with much trouble. As a Vista owner, you can download the upgrade but I'm always afraid I'll screw something up. I think taking it to a professional is the best thing to do.
Where the magic begins
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
If you wait till next year Windows 8 will be coming out. You can buy Win 7 now and just install over the Vista, does it automatically. Video cards just slip in and out. There are plenty of tutorials with pictures. Google "change video card instructions." A very simple task. You have more than enough RAM I would keep what you have if you don't have money to buy new.. Consider the costs of a new video card and the price of a new computer. You can take the Ram out of the old if it is a new 64 bit and place it in the new one if it has the space for additional RAM
If you have the bucks get a MAC, I have a Mac laptop. Computers are cheap these days, I usually get a new one every year and keep the previous or give it to a kid in school.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2012-06-02 16:40, ed rhodes wrote:

As opposed to people who've been using Apple products since the late 70's, and never had such such problems?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Disconnect the computer from the plug to the wall socket
If you live in a place where youoften get a shock touching a doorknob, ground yourself out by touching a wall-connected metal pipe.
Open the computer
Did you unplug the computer?
Remove the old video card
Place in the new one in the same slot.
Reconnect all the wires.

If the new card comes with a software DVD use that for the install
If it does not, windows should recorgnize it automatically by "plug and play"

I have done this personally more than once. The first time seems like a big deal. It is not that hard to do.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Also, be aware that some video cards might not work on all motherboards. The situation isn't super-fragmented, but if your motherboard is old you might not be able to use a newer video card.

Otherwise, yeah, it's as simple as Cliff said: ground yourself, power down, open case, disconnect wires (and really, there's probably only one wire, running to the power supply), remove old, insert new, and reconnect power. Then install drivers. I guess all I can add to that is make sure you keep track of annoyingly-small screws to your case (if any).

If you're really anxious, there are probably videos on youtube.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
Draw a picture on art paper, crush it to a crystal and stuff it in an hole.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Replacing video cards is easy, even I could do it. you can download the new op system.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Your ATI Radeon video card is probably a PCI Express 2.0 card. PCI Express 2.0 is the port that your card plugs into. You will want to get a new video card that is also PCI Express 2.0 as this may be the only format supported by your motherboard. (If you know your motherboard, you can also look it up and see what formats it supports.)

Once you've got your card, it is easy to change. Unplug everything from your computer. Lay it on it's side and open it up. Ground yourself or touch something metal to remove any static electricity. Unplug the old card and plug in the new card. Close it back up and plug it all back in and when it boots up, it will probably ask you for the install DVD to install the new cards drivers.

As far as upgrading to Windows 7.0. I have been told that it is best to re-install the operating system completely from VISTA to Windows 7.0 and not just perform an update because VISTA will leave too much legacy junk on the system and cause problems. I don't know if that is accurate but I have found that it is sometimes best to re-install the operating system completely just to clean things up. Be aware that you will need to re-install all software that you want to use although as long as you don't format any of your harddrives, you shouldn't lose any data.

Good luck!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
And of course, backup first!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I tried to upgrade my video card earlier this year. Turns out the newer, top of the line video cards require their own power connection and a second slot in the case for the fans. My computer, a rebuilt Dell, had neither available. Luckily I double-checked the specs, then my case, before I opened the box.

I'd advise you to do the same; hardware requirements don't just include the CPU speed and memory anymore.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2843 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 08:16, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-02 16:40, ed rhodes wrote:

As opposed to people who've been using Apple products since the late 70's, and never had such such problems?

I have nothing against Apple. I just felt he didn't need a entire overhaul as a solution.
...and, Apple users never need to upgrade their video cards?
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I've been building custom computers since the mid 90's. First, you don't have a bad processor, although it's getting a bit outdated. The video card you have probably cost quite a bit, but can be easily replaced with a card for a fraction of the price you paid. You don't have to do any backups or anything. Just unplug the power supply and switch them out.

As far as Vista, it's not as terrible as some portray it, but it has it's flaws. Windows 7 fixes a lot of them. You don't need to wait for Windows 8 unless you have a tablet computer.

Don't spend too much on a new video card. Anything much more than $100 is going to give you diminishing returns unless you plan on using it in a future PC. You're much better off increasing the memory. It used to be that 4GB was more than enough. Now, 8 GB is a good minimum.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 04:17, ed rhodes wrote:

Not so much a matter of "never need to" as "can't". With a Mac, it's not nearly as simple as taking the cover off, replacing a part, and putting the cover back on.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
8gb may be a good minimum but make sure you're using 64bit windows or anything more than 4gb will be ignored.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 15:27, ClintonMagus wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 04:17, ed rhodes wrote:

Not so much a matter of "never need to" as "can't". With a Mac, it's not nearly as simple as taking the cover off, replacing a part, and putting the cover back on.

High end graphics cards are mainly needed for the latest games and since the Mac can't play them, you really don't ever really need to update your graphics card!
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 17:46, rockwall wrote:
8gb may be a good minimum but make sure you're using 64bit windows or anything more than 4gb will be ignored.

Good point. I forgot to mention that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Do You Replace a Computer's Video Card? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL