The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Openers. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
What do you guys like to use for your opener? And what sort of things for different situations? For example a casual performance, a paid gig etc. If I have missed a previous thread on this please point me towards it Smile
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
This has been discussed a lot. Here's what my favorite search engine found:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=openers+site%3Athemagiccafe.com

Personally, I've got a lot of mileage out of Bill Abbott's Five-Card Opener.

Good luck.
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I usually always open my kids shows with my [mako tendo] appearing cane.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Six Card Repeat

Any short punchy Rope Routine

The venue doesn't matter...Look for:

1- Routines you could drunk you know them so well

2- Routines that do not use a spectator

3- Routine that has a solid punch and effect: You want to establish yourself as a pro right off. Not some guy who stumbles through his magic barely knowing what he's doing. If you haven't done a lot of shows? THIS first routine should be close to the best you do as far as 'how well' you do it. You 'know' it, etc.

That's it: Get them on YOUR side by giving them something good right off. Don't dilute YOU by starting with a trick that uses some one from the audience. Do NOT screw up this first trick. If they like you right off you can do almost anything after and you are safe.

Best,
Brad Burt
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Crazy man's handcuffs.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
THIS (Improved) with a huge Line of Silks production.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Er1tro
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
124 Posts

Profile of Er1tro
I do a lot with card so I do the chicago opener (seen from Daryl) but I am an amateur. When people ask me to perform something with card and I see them interest I perform the Couè Test (Card College V1), which is easy to do, strong, and because I'm an amateur and it's the first effect people believe I've really done the trick wrong and so the surprise is bigger Smile
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
With cards, it's Rise And Swap, Topsy-Turvy Cards or HaLo Aces

For general stuff, I use D-Lites to get people's attention or I' do a sponge ball routine or two without a spectator. That usually attracts everyone. Then once I have everyone's full attention I'll do a routine with a spectator.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I most often open with my own HaLo Aces also, metaljohn. That sure is an attention grabber.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
In close up situations I will often start off with my own Ambitious Card routine.
Mentalism in Ontario.
littleboy
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of littleboy
Anything with flash paper to capture audiences attention
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I like coins across as an opener. It has multiple phases so I have plenty of time to become familiar with how those around the table react to magical moments. This enables me to key in on those individuals who have the most visual reactions to assist with the subsequent two tricks. I also like that it ends with the magic occurring in the spectators hands. Finally, at each phase the spectators hold the coins during some point which implies that I use "regular items". But most importantly, I really enjoy this effect and I think the spectators pick up on that.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
1. 'Thompson's Aces' followed by (my slightly different handling of) the 'Quick Change Artists' both from Card College vol. 5. and my handling of 'A Story Of Crime' by Theo Annemann.

2. 'Oil & Queens' (Complete Roy Walton vol. 1), foloowed by a few more packet tricks using ordinary cards.

3. Colombini's 'Pyramid' followed by Peter Marucci's 'Tomb of the Pharaoah' and then 'The Magus Card' from Card College vol. 1

mlippo
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I also open with the appearing cane. Really gets their attention! On large audiences of kids, I open with the Measle Teasle wand.

Jim
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Stage show or palour is use a appearing cane then go in to a rope routine.
Busking door shows I use purse frame with sponge ball.
close up gigs I use purse frame again but with either sponge ball/coins or bottle caps.

If I need an eye catcher for something I use appearing bananas or a rope routine like fiber optics.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
The Fire Wallet works well for me for parlour or stage. Instant attention grabber.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Openers. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL