We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Beer Drinkers Corner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
After responding to a post concerning our favorite sandwiches ZeroG suggested having a post on Beer. Well, here it is. Beer not only opens people up to discuss many different topics but is a topic in and of itself. I am an avid Ale drinker and a collector of anything beer related. As I mentioned in the thread on Favorite Sandwiches, I love Arrogant ******* Ale. I did not know that ******* was a forbidden word on the Magic Café' (sorry but it is the name of the Ale). I enjoy Arrogant ******* Ale because it is the Hoppiest Ale I have found to date. If anyone knows of a Hoppier Ale, I would love to hear about it. The pride and joy of my massive beer bottle collection is one of the last bottles of Red Star to come out of East Berlin (the wall came down less than a month after purchase of the beer). I also have a "virgin" Red Star label and a piece of the Berlin Wall, laminated in a block of acrylic. That's it for now, I'll be interested in hearing from drinkers and collectors.
Hoppy Trails
Iven Smile
Smile Smile Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Three Floyd's Alpha King is a nice hoppie ale too! Not as strong as Arrogant B. but pretty nice!
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
I'm more of a wine drinker, but that's partly because good beer is hard to come by.

My top favourite beer is Old Thumper. I went to a beer festival last year and very much enjoyed Exmoor Beast. If I'm after something a little sweeter then Old Peculiar's quite nice. I used to enjoy Tanglefoot when I was younger but it's not so much to my taste nowadays.

For readily accessible and reliable beer I drink Guinness. If Old Thumper were available everywhere it would be a different story though!

Smile
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Schneider Weisse & Budweiser Budvar (not the stuff from St. Louis) are my two current favorites.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
magicjosh2
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester. UK.
134 Posts

Profile of magicjosh2
In my local pub John Willie Lees Bitter otherwise known as gut rot. Newcastle Brown Ale tends to have the desired effect. Miller Genuine Draft is an excellent drink.
Cheers Smile
Best Wishes,
Mark
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
I've not had Newcastle Brown for a while. Used to be one of my favourites. Smooth and reliable!
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
Toohey's Super Dry from down under is the perfect brew!
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Smile
Usually not the bottled stuff though the draft. Suppose its not a real beer though neither's Bud but I'm quite fond of that.

real beer: I like Bass (live keg), Old Speckled Hen (bottled) and I love testing ales in pubs with micro-brewerys. Mark (magicjosh2) is lucky because Manchester has several pubs like that
magicjosh2
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester. UK.
134 Posts

Profile of magicjosh2
Magicgeorge,
We also cater for our Irish friends round my area with several Irish themed bars.
Smile
Best Wishes,
Mark
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
MagicGeorge - I like Old Speckled Hen draft, but not so much in a bottle.

Anyone ever been to a beer festival? I'm going to another in November. They're friendly and very loud!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I also enjoy a glass or two of wine once in awhile as well as an occasional beer.
My favorite as of now is probably Negro Modelo.

Cheerio

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Hey GlenD,

Prefer red or white (as a rule)? I much prefer red. I'll drink anything red apart from Sirah which affects me much like if you eat ice cream too fast (a wierd sort of spiky headache up above my nose). Strange, but it affects a work colleague of mine in the same way.

I find Merlot pretty stable (ie. even the worse quality ones are still gluggable). I tried to "appreciate" wine more a couple of years back. Problem is I'm too busy drinking it to notice much.

(My father-in-law will have my guts for garters for saying that!)
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
I've tasted my fair share of beers and most of them I didn't care for. I prefer Budweiser or Coors light. I also enjoy wine on occassion. And going with Beetroot I too prefer red wine. You should try Yellow Tail Merlot 2002 from Australia it's very tasty. If you can find some Merlots from the Okanagan here in B.C. I also recommend them.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sorry, I don't drink any kind of alcohol or wine. I just wanted to mingle with you. Smile
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
In case anyone didn't notice - looks like Dynamike's the designated driver!

Smile
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hey Beetroot,
I like about all of them ! Smile
I enjoy reds, especially Italian wines. I used to really like Cabernets but now I enjoy a little more lighter types. The main reason might be due to food. I find that I order wine with my meal most often when I am at an Italian restaurant and I really like those Chiantis. But I like whites too and have a preferrence for Rieselings. Ever since my wife and I went to our first crush party a few years ago and "discovered" rieseling. They are getting more popular and growing in the types available locally as well.
I don't drink all that often so when I do it is always a tough decision as to which one to go with.
Nice topic.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Chimay, Guinness, Beamish, Murphy's, Waggledance, Leffe Blonde, Hoegaarden, ...
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
Victory Hop Devil and Victory Prima Pils
Who is John Galt?
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2003-10-10 15:26, magicjosh2 wrote:
Magicgeorge,
We also cater for our Irish friends round my area with several Irish themed bars.
Smile

Funny you should say that. I used to work in an Irish theme pub in Manchester. I was head barman in O'Sheas's in town for a while.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Mark (Farrar) - you've reminded me of Chimay. I've only had it once (this is the trappist monk ale?). It was good. There were two different bottles I seem to recall but can't remember the difference. It was bought for me by a colleague in Belgium before they stocked it in Tesco.

As for the stout - Guinness is number 1 for me, with Murphy's a really close second. I'm afraid Beamish is not on my list. Too sweet for my liking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Beer Drinkers Corner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL