The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Favorite Dealers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
For unique and hard to find items Denny and Lee is top notch. Denny is well respected in the magic community and he has years of experience and knowledge.

Penguin and Hocus-Pocus both focus on the new "must have" items. There are differences of course, but both offer great customer service, and will go out of their way to resolve any problems.

Penguin has "hot Box" specials almost all the time. Hocus-Pocus used to have % off deals for limited time periods......Haven't seen one for a while....have they stopped? Anyone know, please comment.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
I couldn't help notice that, with few exceptions, everyone is choosing online dealers. Yet, I'm always hearing people bemoan the fate of brick & mortar shops.

It is, indeed, too bad in several ways that the shops are vanishing, but that's just the way it is. Everything changes. A lot of us were lucky enough to have had shops to hang out at, but only because that was the time we lived in. I've heard people actually get angry about physical shops not being supported. I think it's time to lighten up. To everything there is a season.

I've made a few purchases from Penguin, and I can say that they have a very good and solid business model. When You Wish is pretty good, as is MJM. If you sift though his piles of garbage, Mark Mason has some GREAT stuff, and Mason himself is a top-notch teacher. Then again....that "garbage" I referenced could/would be pure gold to the beginner. No longer does the young wizard have to depend on Adam's fake vomit or pepper chewing gum to prove how magical he is.

The ones who take customer service seriously will rise to the top, as always. The way it should be.

A few shops continue to hang on. Denny's is a joy to be in! I do suspect that before too many more years pass, that shop will be in the nostalgia catagory, as well. And there's nuthin' wrong with that. You can take away the shops, but you'll have a tough time taking away the memories.

I wonder what the NEXT century of retail magic will bring us. If I wasn't so *** near 60, I'd be looking forward to it!
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Hocus-Pocus used to have %off promotions at least once a month. Does anyone know if they stopped?
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
I buy mostly books, but not always. Penguin has never let me down and is the first place I look when something new comes along that I must have. There are a couple of dealers on my "do not buy from list", but I'll keep things on the positive side here. I especially like the speedy service I get from Penguin. I did deal with Daytona once...no issues there...and they are a real shop...if I'm ever down that way I would love to drop in.
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
Since this is the "Flavors from the past" forum I will add to my previous post that in the late 70s and early 80s I bought mostly from local shops (in southeastern Virginia -- sadly, none remain). I also ordered from Abbott's, Tannen's, and Magic, Inc....switching over to Hank Lee's in the mid 80's...occasionaly ordering from the latter right up until the shocking news broke. However, for non-book purchases I was never as satisfied as I was with purchasing effects from a shop. In a shop the effect was demo'ed and I could make the decision as to whether it was "for me" or not, and after making the purchase I would usually receive a second demo with tips and pointers. I also miss the hanging out and "shooting the bull" so to speak. I did visit a shop north of Houston, Texas in 1984 that I was very impressed with...purchased a Hand of Cleopatra and a few utility items. I wish I could remember the name of the place...and I wonder if it is still there. Perhaps someone knows the shop of which I speak.
cbusch55
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of cbusch55
Danny's Kix and Trix
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, cbusch55 wrote:
Danny's Kix and Trix

The name does ring a bell...but the web site and images of the shop have zero resemblance to the shop I went to. Perhaps they moved, and like many shops from days gone by, no longer have a lot to do with magic. They appear to be a costume shop first and foremost.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Favorite Dealers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL