The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Does anybody know this Tenyo item? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Does anybody know the Tenyo item 'UM-3A Trick Box' that is currently for sale on Ebay right now? I've never heard of this. Sorry, but I am unable to post a link for this.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-OLD-TENYO-U......c73b2b8f

I don't see anything in the pictures that identifies this as a Tenyo item.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Thanx Dave. This will help everyone find what we're talkin' about. True nuff...maybe not even a true Tenyo. It appears to be a cross between Card Case & Mindscanner.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
I wrote the seller asking for confirmation this is Tenyo, with the promise of potentially interested bidders if he does, so we'll see.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Yes it's Tenyo Item like this one :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Stereo, do you have any idea what the effect is all about?
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I think it's not magic, just gadget. Is to store your deck of card and The case open automaticaly with sound maybe.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
What the heck is this ?! And what language is the second picture on the top? Never seen this item before ... perhaps some kind of novelty item and not a magic trick?

[EDIT] Ok Davy was ahead of me Smile
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Bedtime Party, Chocolates and Cigarettes WHOA! Smile
Wonder what happens when that case opens automatically. Smile
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
meridianfan
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
I can solve at least part of this mystery. I recognize the cigarette case and book from the days when I used to work in a magic shop. Those two are shocking items. In the case of the book, whenever someone holds the book and opens it, a circuit is connected giving the reader a shock. The cover, spine, and back cover are a heavy gauge metal foil. We used to sell the books, lighters, and pens. They are battery powered, so I assume those are shocking decks of playing cards.

John
meridianfan
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
One more thing, the worst/or best depending on your perspective was the shocking mini-slot machine. We used to have one sitting on the counter for unsuspecting people to try. A person would hold it steady at the top with one hand and pull the lever with the other. You know what happens when they did that...

The problem with all of the others is that when people get shocked they immediately drop the item, and they tend to break. The slot machine worked on the counter, so it never fell on the floor.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
I had the shocking book as well mine said on the cover Famous Nudes. It had a penlight battery with a magneto coil inside and a magnet on a piece of spring steal that would stick to a little metal plate attached to the inside of the front cover. When opened the magnet would let loose of the cover bouncing up and down many times making contact with circuit to simulate a pulsing shock. And they would certainly drop it so I tried to have in over a carpeted area. I used to open it over and over shocking myself to see how long I could stand it. About 6 or 7 times was enough of that. I see the contacts on the card case where you have to grab it to open so it is for sure a shocking card case. "SHOCKING" Stereo has not put batteries in that card case to experience it's wonder. Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Yes, it's an item that shocks the person.
Tenyo items from the early 1960s and earlier can be hard to identify.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Well, I guess the riddle is now solved. A true team effort on this one. Thanx all for your investigation, knowledge & wit. As an offshoot, it even answered a long standing question of mine... what is Tenyo Shock Clock?
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
OK. The seller did respond (seems like a nice guy) by adding some more pictures, one of which shows the inside of the box. Zooming in on this clearly shows 'Tenyo', so it is indeed a legitimate Tenyo item. Who said the Japanese don't have a sense of humor.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Yes indeed it is a Tenyo and can clearly see it doesn't work. The green wire is broken loose. I may also add the green wire in my opinion isn't original it is too new and the only insulated wire in the device so it is a broken repair job already.
You can see the original broken wire doubled back laying in bottom. Looks in sad condition but can be repaired if that is all that is wrong with it that is. Smile
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
On a much closer zoom inspection looks like the wire in the bottom is not that wire. Looks like by the new shinny solder the short piece of wire the green wire is attached to most likely originally went to the other shinny solder area next to it on angled metal piece. Easy fix
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Update to the above I told him it was broken and how it was broken. He replied he has reattached the green wire, has new pictures with batteries installed and is working. I think I now see part of the plastic cover that is suppose to be over the electronics as seen in stereo's pictures now also. Plus in the last day of the auction he has raised the starting price 3 bucks! So it is at least working now for anyone that would like to have it Smile Go look at the new pictures looks much better.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Has now been confirmed the plastic cover plate is missing so that's too bad but works without it. But also ruins it as a complete collectable. Thank me very much. I am done now. Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I think it's much nicer if it does NOT work. Innocent items that shock the cr*p out of people are really to be avoided at all costs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Does anybody know this Tenyo item? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL