The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dan Harlan LIVE: Saturday June 9th @7:00pm Eastern (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's tonight:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2699

From Penguin:

Dan Harlan LIVE: Saturday June 9th @7:00pm Eastern

What will Harlan cover in this lecture?

For the first time EVER, Dan is letting us get a peek into his private “Brain Box" (his personal stash of strange ideas). Some of these effects and routines are Dan Harlan’s most closely guarded secrets that he’s never revealed to anyone! Some are vast improvements of familiar plots, and others venture into uncharted territory. The methods employed range from devilishly clever to shockingly simple, yet every routine is structured to squeeze the most magic from each moment for maximum impact. Of course, Harlan will cover all the nuances that go into creating professional quality presentations, and (if you watch it live) you can ask any questions you may have.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It just started!

Dan is psyched up and on fire right from the opening!
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2507 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
So it wasnt cancelled? Must have been a false message on the board. Said it was rescheduled for july
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2507 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Oh I see now it was a different performer
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-06-09 19:13, MagicBrent wrote:
So it wasnt cancelled? Must have been a false message on the board. Said it was rescheduled for july

Michael Eaton ( The Drop'N Project ) had a schedule conflict, so it's Dan Harlan tonight.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
FANTASTIC lecture. Dan was wonderful. He has a background in theater, so Dan just doesn't demo tricks he's invented. He set it up like an actual show. You get more than great tricks and methods, but the choreography of performing ( David Copperfield had a great deal of theatrical training in case you don't know the importance of it ).

Thank you Acar ( Penguin ) and Mandy ( Papercrane ) for bringing Dan to us.
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
I was really impressed. What a RANGE of material! Most surprising to me was that the tricks Dan taught were innovative AND fully developed routines (not just "trick concepts"). With all the emphasis on the originality of the material, I wasn't expecting it to be so commercial and well routined. The next time I have to put together a standup act, I'm going to poach about half the stuff in here. It's perfect.

I loved the "sucker" routine, and passing the Coca-cola through the air the best, but it might just be that those two popped into my mind first. No filler here. Bravo, Mr Harlan! Encore!!!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4502 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Missed this Live. I really want to dig through this one Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12060 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 00:04, Blindside785 wrote:
Missed this Live. I really want to dig through this one Smile

Me too. Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I'm re-watching it today. Attending live lectures is wonderful, but the next day you know the magic was fantastic, you just don't remember the details. The Penguin/Papercrane live lectures is the gift that keeps on giving because you can re-watch as many times as you want.

Thanks Acar and Maddy!

Oh and thank you Dan Harlan for giving 100% and making this more than just a lecture of "tricks".
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I watched this again. At the end, Dan did 3 effects. Then he took some questions that were being sent in. Last night I 'thought" the last 3 effects were just amazing pieces that he wasn't going to tip. I was ok with it because of everything else. I had to take a phone call and I figured I re-watch later and listen to the question segment.

WELL.......I watched again, he took the questions and then he tipped the methods of the final 3 tricks.

Two I knew I'll use. One of them, was AMAZING.

On a small table he has an opaque container, sticking out at the top is a soda bottle. He lifted out a full bottle of cola and showed it around ( You could she the soda movement at the top of the bottle, so it wasn't a Nielsen). He put it back in the container, the top clearly seen sticking out.

On another table he had a brown paper sack. Behind him was a clear, plastic drinking cup. He took the cup in one hand and lifted the soda out with his other hand one more time. As lowered the bottle into the container, he also lowered the empty cup into the paper sack.

He snapped his fingers and.......then took out the cola bottle and...it was empty. He placed it on the table He lifted the cup out of the sack and it was full of soda. He crumpled the bag and drank from the cup.

I had no clue. He could have marketed this for $100.

Dan, THANK YOU for sharing this amazing piece of magic.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4936 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Dan's version of gypsy thread was awesome! I was saying "No way he is going to restore it" but he did. He really could market that on a DVD by itself. It's a closer. Great story, just fantastic! It seems like these guys do Penguin lectures and they really give it all away. I suppose Acar treats people so well that they want to reciprocate. I know he has done some really nice things for me personally. Great Job Dan and Penguin Magic!
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
Is this still available even though the lecture is over? it seems to be on penguin still.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 23:40, MagicMaddy wrote:
Is this still available even though the lecture is over? it seems to be on penguin still.

Yes, you can still purchase the lecture:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2699
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
Wow... that was the best lecture I've ever seen. Ever.
Gleemax17
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
64 Posts

Profile of Gleemax17
The lecture was awesome! Dan is such a great teacher and such a great performer. Every trick in this lecture is a worker and ready for the real world.

Highlights were:

- Candle up the nose (what a great opener of the whole show)
- Passing the Coca-cola through the air (first trick in 6years, I had no clue how it was done!) WTF!
- Ballet (very funny and charming)

I have bought the live lectures from Richard Osterlind, Gazzo, Oz Pearlman, Joshua Jay, David Regal, David Roth and Shawn Farquhar and they were all great.

But if you wanna see some real great innovative new magic: Dan is the man!

BTW all magicians should read the game by Neil Strauss, it improved my performance.
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1053 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 18:04, Zombie Magic wrote:
I watched this again. At the end, Dan did 3 effects. Then he took some questions that were being sent in. Last night I 'thought" the last 3 effects were just amazing pieces that he wasn't going to tip. I was ok with it because of everything else. I had to take a phone call and I figured I re-watch later and listen to the question segment.

WELL.......I watched again, he took the questions and then he tipped the methods of the final 3 tricks.

Two I knew I'll use. One of them, was AMAZING.

On a small table he has an opaque container, sticking out at the top is a soda bottle. He lifted out a full bottle of cola and showed it around ( You could she the soda movement at the top of the bottle, so it wasn't a Nielsen). He put it back in the container, the top clearly seen sticking out.

On another table he had a brown paper sack. Behind him was a clear, plastic drinking cup. He took the cup in one hand and lifted the soda out with his other hand one more time. As lowered the bottle into the container, he also lowered the empty cup into the paper sack.

He snapped his fingers and.......then took out the cola bottle and...it was empty. He placed it on the table He lifted the cup out of the sack and it was full of soda. He crumpled the bag and drank from the cup.

I had no clue. He could have marketed this for $100.

Dan, THANK YOU for sharing this amazing piece of magic.

WOW, I want to see it right now.
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
985 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
"Thank You"s all around to Zombie Magic, Acar, Xiqual, MagicMaddy and robwatrin! It is the best feeling in the world when my efforts inspire and motivate others. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the show/lecture. I've had a chance to watch it myself... and honestly, even my biggest critic (me) had a good time! I'd love to hear from everybody who was there (or has seen it subsequently)... what did YOU like most? Are there any other questions YOU would like to ask? I'll answer them here.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
Dan, I was curious about the card trick you did in the beginning with the 5 of clubs. That was a really neat little moment! I think my 3 favorite effects were:

1. Knitting A Yarn
2. Crayon Eating Monster (I'll be using this)
3. Toast

Some other highlights were Pistachio, Guess the sucker and Dirty Doodles.

The whole time I was watching the performance of Pistachio I was thinking "There's no way it's going to match...There's no way its going to match!...Crap, it matched" Talk about a creative routine.

I will definitely be using Guess the Sucker in my kid shows. I remember using the old horrible sucker gimmick when I was little. This is such an improvement.

Dirty Doodles is a great mentalism effect. The method is clever and it produces a great end result.

And I just wanted to mention, as others have, this lecture was so well put together and thought out. Dan gave some brilliant presentations and a great, fun time of learning. All of the routines were so well done and well thought out. Every nuance was covered.I want to use every single one of the effects that were shown in the lecture. They were all brilliant.

Thanks so much Dan for doing this with penguin and papercrane. I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.

-Madison
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I'm sold! Got to find some time to buy and watch this week.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dan Harlan LIVE: Saturday June 9th @7:00pm Eastern (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL