The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..62~63~64~65~66 [Next]
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 18:01, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 16:33, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 16:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Aren't we all?

I have to agree.

I don't agree. I am an A-agreeist.

Ron
:)

I disagree with you, but I'm too occupied with who's going to win Americas Got Talent! Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-04 23:17, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
At a guess you're missing that "klatu" is just a low level messenger who happens to look presentable to the savages that the ship is visiting.

I prefer the story in its 'as written' form. As effective as the B/W film is an enthymeme about Americana, IMHO the rest of the message of the story is lost to a jingoist message. IMHO Klatu's parting speech gets lost into echos of the other alien's (Eros) speech from Plan Nine about stupid earthmen and solarite.

Any thoughts on the Scalzi story? How about Peter Watts's take on the Star Trek IV warning? Waiting for what Stross and the Laundry call "Case Nightmare Green"?

The ship is not as you say "just visiting". They came to earth to deliver a message now that the earth has entered the nuclear (atomic) age with the advent of the Atomic Bomb. The earth now becomes a threat because of this power and must be watched by the guardians of which Gort is one and no one can deter him from his mission of destruction if he sees this power used in a threatening way which includes expanding into space with such weapons. He is one of several guardians.

"The decision rests with you", a phrase almost as well know as "Klaatu barada nikto" by those in the know.

I have read the book in this instance does not do the movie justice.

To be honest I have not had the pleasure of readiing your other mentionables.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Acesover, you haven't answered the question about who's gonna win AGT...

What's ya gonna do, what's ya gonna do? I can't get that song out of my head. Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-04 23:28, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Being a bad boy here - a link to the other alien's speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhvDMhrws1o

mash that into Michael Rennie's moment in Day the Earth Stood still Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_seKyGYlTHY

stupid! Stupid! You could also notice how well the "any group anywhere" is lost on so many

race of robots... absolute power... nice Smile .

Jonathan,

I am not sure what point you are making here. But this movie was made in 1951. There was all kind of talk about atomic power and end of the world senarios. Puttng things in perspective, we used to have air raid drills at school where we would hide under our desks for protection, then it was changed to hide aganist an inside wall for protection away from windows in case of attack. 1951 not 2012

The movie was a classic and will remain so. The remake is a dud and will remain so.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-04 22:23, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-04 22:19, acesover wrote:... I think I would have to smack him. Smile

So your version of faith, piety and humility is about smacking people who dissapoint you. Glad you are where you are. Peace be upon you.

Not my version of faith but rather my revlusion of stupidity.

Or I could answer your post by saying 64 Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm not arguing about the movie as enthymeme. It did a fine job with characters and sets and music. Frank Capra does science ficiton - it's a wonderful Earth. Please know that I was in NYC during the scare/showdown with Russia/Cuba and had adults around me who made sure I understood the themes which the movie addresses. I read the short story some time later in jr high school. IMHO Plan Nine was informed by The Day the Earth Stood Still and took a more direct stab at the "message" speech. The Star Trek IV movie does something similar but less direct with the dialog and no grand-stand speeches.

Any thoughts on the paths offered by those who sent Klatu in either movie? Police state with ultimate powers run by robots?

Maybe getting back to the topic of living in a created universe would be better. Your thoughts on the Scalzi book?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I was going to start a thread to proselytize for agnosticism, but I don't know what to say.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-06 20:45, mastermindreader wrote:
I was going to start a thread to proselytize for agnosticism, but I don't know what to say.

You're a prophet of Agnes? She speaks to you?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Tom White has dyed his hair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hOjRqwc8d4
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

? Tom White?
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-07-04 23:58, acesover wrote:
I am not sure what point you are making here. But this movie was made in 1951. There was all kind of talk about atomic power and end of the world senarios. Puttng things in perspective, we used to have air raid drills at school where we would hide under our desks for protection, then it was changed to hide aganist an inside wall for protection away from windows in case of attack. 1951 not 2012

We were still doing that (under the desks) in my school in 1962. And I remember the teacher telling us that we wouldn't have gas stations but our cars would run on little "atomic pills" that we would put in ourselves.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
That's what I thought Jon. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
So we all agree God exists. that's all I was trying to say.

Good magic to all,

Eric
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-07 00:00, The great Gumbini wrote:

Good magic to all,

Eric

How did you come to that conclusion from this thread? Don't you think the opinions of the atheists count?

Obviously, we DON'T all agree that God exists.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-07 00:16, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-07 00:00, The great Gumbini wrote:

Good magic to all,

Eric

How did you come to that conclusion from this thread? Don't you think the opinions of the atheists count?

Obviously, we DON'T all agree that God exists.

Actually that's not correct Bob. Perhaps "supernatural" gods don't exist, but there are some tribes who's god is is something like a physical carving for example of what they believe in and worship. They can see it, touch it. In that case, their god DOES exist. If I decide that a tree that looks like Elvis is my god, then my god exists.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I guess that's what I get for standing up for the atheists right to have an opinion! Smile

Eric, though, said "I guess we all agree that God exists." NOT "I guess we all agree that various religions have various deities, some of whom are physically represented in carvings which, while we Christians would call those idols and not Gods, can nonetheless be considered Gods in order to make my conclusion at least remotely true."

At least I don't think he said that.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-07 00:42, mastermindreader wrote:
I guess that's what I get for standing up for the atheists right to have an opinion! Smile

Eric, though, said "I guess we all agree that God exists." NOT "I guess we all agree that various religions have various deities, some of whom are physically represented in carvings which, while we Christians would call those idols and not Gods, can nonetheless be considered Gods in order to make my conclusion at least remotely true."

At least I don't think he said that.

I have to play the devil's advocate now and again. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

LOL!

But the only way that Eric's statement can be true is if you and Payne (and all other atheists and agnostics here) acknowledge that God exists.

I'm still wondering why he posted something that is demonstrably not true. We don't all agree on ANYTHING in this forum.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-07 00:49, mastermindreader wrote:
We don't all agree on ANYTHING in this forum.

I think we can all agree with that.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

This sentence is false.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..62~63~64~65~66 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL