The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..16..27..38..49..60..64~65~66 [Next]
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:45, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Who said we are here by accident? The fact that we are even disucussing this on a computer is the the result of millions of years of evolution. That's no accident.


Does this post express a belief?


Why are you so intent on saying atheists have a belief? We don't have a belief. Get over it.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I always had a weird thing for pursuing truth. Sorry for the inconvenience.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5815 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:35, mastermindreader wrote:
What if we are here because a Supreme Being had one big accident?
Well that could certainly be interpreted in different ways. :0 <-- old scool!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:56, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:45, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Who said we are here by accident? The fact that we are even disucussing this on a computer is the the result of millions of years of evolution. That's no accident.


Does this post express a belief?


Why are you so intent on saying atheists have a belief? We don't have a belief. Get over it.


Actually, I'll put it in the form of a question. A yes/no question, even. Maybe our difference is entirely semantic.

Let's say someone says, "There is no God." Do you believe that person has made a true statement?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27103 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:35, mastermindreader wrote:
...What if we are here because a Supreme Being had one big accident?


Supreme being has an accident? And just who would decide whether it was an accident, a supremer being? And we're supposed to clean up the mess?

I heard a bulimic interpretation of cosmology once. A big binge theory where for six days god ate, and on the seventh...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:59, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:35, mastermindreader wrote:
What if we are here because a Supreme Being had one big accident?
Well that could certainly be interpreted in different ways. :0 <-- old scool!


I think you picked up on the meaning I intended. I mean, how can you discuss eschatology without the schat?

:eek:
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:56, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:45, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Who said we are here by accident? The fact that we are even disucussing this on a computer is the the result of millions of years of evolution. That's no accident.


Does this post express a belief?


Why are you so intent on saying atheists have a belief? We don't have a belief. Get over it.


Actually, I'll put it in the form of a question. A yes/no question, even. Maybe our difference is entirely semantic.

Let's say someone says, "There is no God." Do you believe that person has made a true statement?


Let's say somone says that there is no Santa. Is that person making a true statement?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:11, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:56, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:45, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Who said we are here by accident? The fact that we are even disucussing this on a computer is the the result of millions of years of evolution. That's no accident.


Does this post express a belief?


Why are you so intent on saying atheists have a belief? We don't have a belief. Get over it.


Actually, I'll put it in the form of a question. A yes/no question, even. Maybe our difference is entirely semantic.

Let's say someone says, "There is no God." Do you believe that person has made a true statement?


Let's say somone says that there is no Santa. Is that person making a true statement?


I don't blame you for not wanting to answer.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:11, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Let's say somone says that there is no Santa. Is that person making a true statement?


Obviously not:

Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:52, MagicSanta wrote:
Supreme cuz sometimes you want more than pepperoni.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:16, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:11, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:56, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:45, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Who said we are here by accident? The fact that we are even disucussing this on a computer is the the result of millions of years of evolution. That's no accident.


Does this post express a belief?


Why are you so intent on saying atheists have a belief? We don't have a belief. Get over it.


Actually, I'll put it in the form of a question. A yes/no question, even. Maybe our difference is entirely semantic.

Let's say someone says, "There is no God." Do you believe that person has made a true statement?


Let's say somone says that there is no Santa. Is that person making a true statement?


I don't blame you for not wanting to answer.


It sounds like you learned indoctrination at the same church as mine. Are you the one knocking on my door on the weekends telling me you have "good news"?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:32, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:16, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:11, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:56, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:45, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Who said we are here by accident? The fact that we are even disucussing this on a computer is the the result of millions of years of evolution. That's no accident.


Does this post express a belief?


Why are you so intent on saying atheists have a belief? We don't have a belief. Get over it.


Actually, I'll put it in the form of a question. A yes/no question, even. Maybe our difference is entirely semantic.

Let's say someone says, "There is no God." Do you believe that person has made a true statement?


Let's say somone says that there is no Santa. Is that person making a true statement?


I don't blame you for not wanting to answer.


It sounds like you learned indoctrination at the same church as mine. Are you the one knocking on my door on the weekends telling me you have "good news"?


I'm the one asking you a very simple yes/no question. If you can't or won't answer it, you really have no cause for complaining that I'm misconstruing your position.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:32, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:16, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:11, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 02:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:56, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:45, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Who said we are here by accident? The fact that we are even disucussing this on a computer is the the result of millions of years of evolution. That's no accident.


Does this post express a belief?


Why are you so intent on saying atheists have a belief? We don't have a belief. Get over it.


Actually, I'll put it in the form of a question. A yes/no question, even. Maybe our difference is entirely semantic.

Let's say someone says, "There is no God." Do you believe that person has made a true statement?


Let's say somone says that there is no Santa. Is that person making a true statement?


I don't blame you for not wanting to answer.


It sounds like you learned indoctrination at the same church as mine. Are you the one knocking on my door on the weekends telling me you have "good news"?


Calling it anight, but if the suspense is killing you...

I'm not a theist;
I've never been a theist; and
I wasn't raised to be a theist.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Not tough for me to answer. I really, truly wish there was a supreme being, and I truly wish that he or she or it was a benevolent being, and it would give me great comfort to know that I might be reunited with loved ones who have passed away.

That's what I would like to believe.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16042 Posts

Profile of tommy
I would vote for a god that created things the way they are.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
DiabolusMagic
View Profile
New user
East Coast
23 Posts

Profile of DiabolusMagic
My answer would be neither. We, as magicians, should know better than anyone that everything has an explanation, and it's never supernatural.
Satanas vobiscum et cum spiritu tuo
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:37, LobowolfXXX wrote:
My answer to the OP is that it depends on the nature of the supreme being.

Bingo.
If the supreme being is benevolent, non-judgemental, undemanding, non-narcissistic and VERY OBVIOUS and CLEAR in its communications with us: YES.
If the supreme being is malevolent/dictatorial: NO
If the supreme being is ambivalent, uncommunicative and mysterious: NO; such a being may as well not exist for all practical purposes.

ACCIDENT I can (and do) live with--accidents happen. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 08:18, DiabolusMagic wrote:
My answer would be neither. We, as magicians, should know better than anyone that everything has an explanation, and it's never supernatural.

We're not discussing "what is," but rather "what you would prefer."

If not 'supreme being' and not 'cosmic happenstance' (aka accident), what 'third option' are you describing when you say, "Neither"?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2766 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 00:05, acesover wrote:
Would you want there to be a Supreme Being or would you prefetr that we are here by one big accident?

I have thougth about asking this as a two part question. The second part of the question is obvious. WHY?

Not sure if this would be considered a poll or a question.

Anyway here is my answer.

I would opt for the supreme being deal. The reason is that I hope there is more than just this.

Not looking for a debate here just curious about what you would prefer and if possible answer why. Just don't want to start a debate with the why. So don't answer the why if you are going to debate.



I say, supreme being. IF he/she/it (I call him God) were fair to all. If he kept things simple and the plan included everyone. The plan would need to include men, women, all races, children, the blind, the deaf, the poor, the rich, the uneducated, and all the members of the Café. And if you didn't need a lawyer to understand the contract because it simply read, "just trust me." In exchange for that trust I would be guaranteed peace of mind forever. Now that would be a deal.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 00:38, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 00:25, The great Gumbini wrote:
I'm just glad God does exist so we can have discussions like this. Without God we do not exist. Why? Because I think deep down we love the idea of someone loving us the way only God could.


Good magic to all,


Eric


How very tautological of you.

As to the OP, it certainly may feel "nice" to some to have the safety net of "it all has some purpose, some plan," I honestly don't think I have a desire for it to be one way or another. I do, however, know that IF there were some supreme being, especially if they resembled the one described in "the bible," then I would want nothing to do with them. This is presuming an omnipotent and omniscient being.
Unlike Critter, I do not have a particular desire for such a being to blame, or absence of one to blame, I just know that they would BE to blame.


Did you answer the original question or just comcment on critters response? I am not sure.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:21, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 00:05, acesover wrote:
Would you want there to be a Supreme Being or would you prefetr that we are here by one big accident?
...


Being a person it's difficult not to project that sense of personhood onto the rest of existence when dealing with sentimental issues.

That said, would you really want all of existence to be at the whim of anyone, including yourself? Consider the chaos inherent to an existence where one plus one would be two or something else depending on the mood of the supreme being - which you can never know, predict or expect. What would be the basis of any expectations of the world in such a situation?

Once you put limits on the caprice of your posited supreme being you are also presuming to take on a role which permits you to be more than your supreme being. So, my vote is "no" to all such models... I'm simply not that arrogant.


That is all well aand wonderful as are all yor posts. Did you answer the question of the original post?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..16..27..38..49..60..64~65~66 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL