The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..18..29..40..51..62..64~65~66 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 10:05, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 01:35, mastermindreader wrote:
It's not an either/or proposition, though. What if we are here because a Supreme Being had one big accident?


Be cause sby their very nature Supreme Beings don't have accidents. Now can you answer the question. or just add another clever response that has nothing to do with the original question?


Oh, I was unaware that you understood the "very nature" of Supreme Beings.

My bad.

But if that "very nature" means a fair and loving deity that doesn't order the destruction of those who hold other gods before him (which pretty much rules out the God of the Old Testament,) then, yes, I wouldn't mind that.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I don't believe there is a tooth fairy.

Just sayin'.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Jeff-

Well you might as well quit putting teeth under your pillow 'cause she doesn't believe in you anymore either. You've got to believe for this stuff to work. Remember what almost happened to Tinker Belle?

For what it's worth, though, I put my old set of dentures under my pillow hoping I could score some big bucks, but all she left me was a tube of Polident.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 17:24, stoneunhinged wrote:
I don't believe there is a tooth fairy.

Just sayin'.

At least you believe there's a Santa.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Then there was the bully who left other kids' teeth under his pillow...
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 00:05, acesover wrote:
Would you want there to be a Supreme Being or would you prefetr that we are here by one big accident?

I have thougth about asking this as a two part question. The second part of the question is obvious. WHY?

Not sure if this would be considered a poll or a question.

Anyway here is my answer.

I would opt for the supreme being deal. The reason is that I hope there is more than just this.

Not looking for a debate here just curious about what you would prefer and if possible answer why. Just don't want to start a debate with the why. So don't answer the why if you are going to debate.


Me too- who wouldn't? That is how all of this started in the first place. It is OK to whistle in the dark, just don't expect a response you are going to appreciate....

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16199 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Did I really belive that people would answer the question posed?
Answer: I hoped so but did not think it would happen. A few did. Thanks for that I was just curious.

A few answered but then it went off on a debate again. Isn't that a surprise here on the Café? Smile
The thing is I was pretty sure of those who would go off on a tangent or derail the topic. No real surprises there.

No one asked what kind of Supreme Being you wanted. No one asked if you believed in a Supreme Being or not. No one asked you to put all sorts of limitations on this made up supreme being. In other words no one asked you to build a supreme being.

It is like asking, would you pick up a 100 dollar bill if you saw it lying in the street? And the answers come back: Not if it was on fire and I had just spilled gasoline on myself. Or not if it was surrounded by rattle snakes. Ad nauseum.

It wasn't a trick question. Just a question. Not even asking what your beliefs are. Just a question asking would you...(read original post)

Seems like a lot of people want to create their own supreme being...is that ironic or what?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 17:35, mastermindreader wrote:
Jeff-

Well you might as well quit putting teeth under your pillow 'cause she doesn't believe in you anymore either. You've got to believe for this stuff to work. Remember what almost happened to Tinker Belle?

For what it's worth, though, I put my old set of dentures under my pillow hoping I could score some big bucks, but all she left me was a tube of Polident.


LOL!!!!!!

I SIMPLY ADORE how two threads now are evolving into dentistry, my second favourite subject

In fact, spirituality, magic and dentistry may easily cause me to cyber hug you all!!

Good root canal to all!

Kam
p.s I am the tooth fairy
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 18:10, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Then there was the bully who left other kids' teeth under his pillow...


And this is why I love you Mr Mollett lol!!

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 00:05, acesover wrote:
Would you want there to be a Supreme Being or would you prefetr that we are here by one big accident?

I have thougth about asking this as a two part question. The second part of the question is obvious. WHY?

Not sure if this would be considered a poll or a question.

Anyway here is my answer.

I would opt for the supreme being deal. The reason is that I hope there is more than just this.

Not looking for a debate here just curious about what you would prefer and if possible answer why. Just don't want to start a debate with the why. So don't answer the why if you are going to debate.


In answer to your question acesover...

I would prefer there to be a Supreme Being.

Why? Because it offers me a Supreme Power to feel unified under with others who may have diverse thoughts, opinions, and backgrounds.

But most importantly, it gives me a reason to sustain integrity when no-one is watching me. A Supreme Being-less society does not consider a crime a crime, unless you get caught doing it....

A Supreme Being allows for us to be responsible for our own actions, to take account of our own actions since we are going to be brought to a reckoning when we die.

"O SON OF BEING! Bring thyself to account each day ere thou art summoned to a reckoning; for death, unheralded, shall come upon thee and thou shalt be called to give account for thy deeds." - Baha'u'llah

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 00:03, kambiz wrote:

But most importantly, it gives me a reason to sustain integrity when no-one is watching me.


That's an interesting take. My inclination is the exact opposite - in a society with a supreme being, it's never the case that nobody is watching. And since by one definition, integrity is what you do when nobody is watching...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Well in that case then Lobo, I agree with you. A Supreme Being ensures I sustain integrity (full stop) Smile


Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Ummmm...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Maybe I misunderstood you?
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 15:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
It's a yes or no question. I'm pretty sure your comment didn't answer it. I don't care why you believe someone else might believe it's true or false, and I don't care about what the person "feels" to be true. A crazy person might feel that the statement that he's Abraham Lincoln is true; that doesn't make it true. It's not a trick question, and it's not a difficult question:

Do you believe that the statement "There is no God" is a true statement?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 00:05, acesover wrote:

Anyway here is my answer.

I would opt for the supreme being deal. The reason is that I hope there is more than just this.



Not sure why you think that if there is a "Supreme Being" that there would be more than just this. Just because there might be a higher power is no guarantee that we get anything more than this life. So best to live it as if this is the only one we get.

So in answer to your question it doesn't matter to me if there is a god or isn't. Knowing for certain of its existence wouldn't change how I am living my life on iota.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 17:35, mastermindreader wrote:
Jeff-

Well you might as well quit putting teeth under your pillow 'cause she doesn't believe in you anymore either. You've got to believe for this stuff to work. Remember what almost happened to Tinker Belle?

For what it's worth, though, I put my old set of dentures under my pillow hoping I could score some big bucks, but all she left me was a tube of Polident.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 17:35, mastermindreader wrote:
Jeff-

Well you might as well quit putting teeth under your pillow 'cause she doesn't believe in you anymore either. You've got to believe for this stuff to work. Remember what almost happened to Tinker Belle?

For what it's worth, though, I put my old set of dentures under my pillow hoping I could score some big bucks, but all she left me was a tube of Polident.


A tube of Polident is better than waking up the next morning and finding nothing. That stuff isn't cheap...lol.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 01:13, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 00:05, acesover wrote:

Anyway here is my answer.

I would opt for the supreme being deal. The reason is that I hope there is more than just this.



Not sure why you think that if there is a "Supreme Being" that there would be more than just this. Just because there might be a higher power is no guarantee that we get anything more than this life. So best to live it as if this is the only one we get.

So in answer to your question it doesn't matter to me if there is a god or isn't. Knowing for certain of its existence wouldn't change how I am living my life on iota.



...and this is where we are at a crossroads Payne.

I totally agree with you in that it is "best we live it as if this is the only one we get"

So how do you define what is best for you? Is it just what gives you enjoyment and pleasure?

This is a critical question, no?

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..18..29..40..51..62..64~65~66 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL