The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..33~34~35~36~37..43..48..53..58..63..64~65~66 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2805 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
How you answer before I ask. LOL

Sorry, I don't have answers for your questions.
I'm far from being an expert with all the bible details.
Wish I could help.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-20 03:34, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Metaphysics is still out there, as science doesn't answer moral questions. And if you're looking for someone to advance the case for psychics, you've come to the wrong place. Well, actually, you've come to the right place, but I'm not the right person.

I just wonder how many "scientific facts" that you're so sure of today will be scoffed at and dismissed in the next century or two.


There will probably be many facts" that will be scoffed at not just in the next century or so, but even in the next decade or so. That's the beauty of science. We don't look at one book and say "there's the answer - no more research needed!" Scients LOVE to be proven wrong. That's how science evolves and that's why we are no longer healing mental illness by casting out evil spirits or Satan (expect for some hardcore church members who still think excorcism is a cure).
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 21:55, TomBoleware wrote:
How you answer before I ask. LOL


God told me lol....

Now there's proof if I ever saw one lol

Alternatively, I just asked Bob Smile Is Bob God? that's another question.....

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, "Bob" is God, kind of. Provided you are a member of the Church of the Sub-Genius.

J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.

Image


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._%22Bob%22_Dobbs




Get slack!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 21:14, TomBoleware wrote:
Payne,

Where do you get this, "god(s)'" from. There is only One God for me.
I understand some do worship God in a different way, but I can't speak for them.

Kind of like you talking out of both sides of your mouth when you say, god's. Smile



Just trying to be all inclusive. god(s) is my way of saying that there have been thousands of god(s) worshiped by multitudes of people over the ages. So what makes one of them the correct one and all the other wrong?


Quote:

You don't 'know' God and then turn around and say, oh there is no God. That doesn't even make sense.
You either believe there is a God or you don't. You don't 'know' for sure and then all of a sudden not know.



You don't know for sure that there is one either. Your belief in there being one is just as Strong ans my belief there is no such thing. Neither of us can "prove" our position. But we believe it just the same. Fortunately since I am not the one making the extraordinary claim I don't have to prove my position. After all atheism is the default position. No one is born with a belief in god(s). They have to be indoctrinated. Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
No one is born an atheist, either, I think the default position would be agnostic. (Inasmuch as a newborn doesn't really have an opinion on the issue.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 22:57, mastermindreader wrote:
No one is born an atheist, either, I think the default position would be agnostic. (Inasmuch as a newborn doesn't really have an opinion on the issue.)


+1
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:


You don't know for sure that there is one either. Your belief in there being one is just as Strong ans my belief there is no such thing. Neither of us can "prove" our position. But we believe it just the same. Fortunately since I am not the one making the extraordinary claim I don't have to prove my position. After all atheism is the default position. No one is born with a belief in god(s). They have to be indoctrinated. Smile


Theists, especially, those of the Abrahamic faiths are sure, as it is called faith. From a theological standpoint, atheism is not the default position as everyone is born with a conscience and, more importantly, a soul which is always trying to reconnect with it's Creator in spite of misdirected desires and influences.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 19:04, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 17:53, mastermindreader wrote:
So what day of the week was Last Supper on, how many angels were at Jesus' tomb, how many women came to the tomb, where did they go directly after, and to whom, if anyone, did they tell what they had witnessed?


BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.



BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT? Are you atheist/agnostic, or do believe in a non-Christian book? (I'm asking because I honestly don't know for sure what your faith is or isn't.)

1 Peter 3:15 (KJV) says: "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear"

Saying "Believe what you want" is not what the Christian Bible asks of you. That particular verse was the beginning of the end of my religious beliefs. I tried to find answers to defend my faith, but the more I read, the more it bacame impossible to give answers to legitimate questions about my faith. At least I tried though. I tried for years.

If a "believer" ever responds to questions about the Bible with a remark like "Believe what you want", they have either given up on their beliefs or well on their way.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 23:07, Dreadnought wrote:
Quote:


You don't know for sure that there is one either. Your belief in there being one is just as Strong ans my belief there is no such thing. Neither of us can "prove" our position. But we believe it just the same. Fortunately since I am not the one making the extraordinary claim I don't have to prove my position. After all atheism is the default position. No one is born with a belief in god(s). They have to be indoctrinated. Smile


Theists, especially, those of the Abrahamic faiths are sure, as it is called faith. From a theological standpoint, atheism is not the default position as everyone is born with a conscience and, more importantly, a soul which is always trying to reconnect with it's Creator in spite of misdirected desires and influences.

Peace and Godspeed.



+1

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 22:54, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 21:14, TomBoleware wrote:
Payne,

Where do you get this, "god(s)'" from. There is only One God for me.
I understand some do worship God in a different way, but I can't speak for them.

Kind of like you talking out of both sides of your mouth when you say, god's. Smile



Just trying to be all inclusive. god(s) is my way of saying that there have been thousands of god(s) worshiped by multitudes of people over the ages. So what makes one of them the correct one and all the other wrong?


Quote:

You don't 'know' God and then turn around and say, oh there is no God. That doesn't even make sense.
You either believe there is a God or you don't. You don't 'know' for sure and then all of a sudden not know.



You don't know for sure that there is one either. Your belief in there being one is just as Strong ans my belief there is no such thing. Neither of us can "prove" our position. But we believe it just the same. Fortunately since I am not the one making the extraordinary claim I don't have to prove my position. After all atheism is the default position. No one is born with a belief in god(s). They have to be indoctrinated. Smile


I am sure you mean informed. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 23:51, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 19:04, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 17:53, mastermindreader wrote:
So what day of the week was Last Supper on, how many angels were at Jesus' tomb, how many women came to the tomb, where did they go directly after, and to whom, if anyone, did they tell what they had witnessed?


BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.



BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT? Are you atheist/agnostic, or do believe in a non-Christian book? (I'm asking because I honestly don't know for sure what your faith is or isn't.)

1 Peter 3:15 (KJV) says: "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear"

Saying "Believe what you want" is not what the Christian Bible asks of you. That particular verse was the beginning of the end of my religious beliefs. I tried to find answers to defend my faith, but the more I read, the more it bacame impossible to give answers to legitimate questions about my faith. At least I tried though. I tried for years.

If a "believer" ever responds to questions about the Bible with a remark like "Believe what you want", they have either given up on their beliefs or well on their way.



I really have to say that the last line in your post is one of the most off the wall assumptions I have ever heard. I am a devout catholic and if you have been following this thread at all you would know that.

However I am not a missionary. That is not my calling. If you really think you can change someones mind on a thread on a fourm go right ahead. Knock yourself out. But I will stick to my saying.

BELIEVE WHAT YoU WANT.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I suspect it's more that Aces has read the bit about trying to teach a pig to sing.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 23:51, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 19:04, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 17:53, mastermindreader wrote:
So what day of the week was Last Supper on, how many angels were at Jesus' tomb, how many women came to the tomb, where did they go directly after, and to whom, if anyone, did they tell what they had witnessed?


BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.



BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT? Are you atheist/agnostic, or do believe in a non-Christian book? (I'm asking because I honestly don't know for sure what your faith is or isn't.)

1 Peter 3:15 (KJV) says: "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear"

Saying "Believe what you want" is not what the Christian Bible asks of you. That particular verse was the beginning of the end of my religious beliefs. I tried to find answers to defend my faith, but the more I read, the more it bacame impossible to give answers to legitimate questions about my faith. At least I tried though. I tried for years.

If a "believer" ever responds to questions about the Bible with a remark like "Believe what you want", they have either given up on their beliefs or well on their way.



Read my post of Jun 21, 2012 8:45pm ....and stop assuming. Smile

Oh yea I almost forgot. BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 23:51, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 19:04, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 17:53, mastermindreader wrote:
So what day of the week was Last Supper on, how many angels were at Jesus' tomb, how many women came to the tomb, where did they go directly after, and to whom, if anyone, did they tell what they had witnessed?


BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.



BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT? Are you atheist/agnostic, or do believe in a non-Christian book? (I'm asking because I honestly don't know for sure what your faith is or isn't.)

1 Peter 3:15 (KJV) says: "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear"

Saying "Believe what you want" is not what the Christian Bible asks of you. That particular verse was the beginning of the end of my religious beliefs. I tried to find answers to defend my faith, but the more I read, the more it bacame impossible to give answers to legitimate questions about my faith. At least I tried though. I tried for years.

If a "believer" ever responds to questions about the Bible with a remark like "Believe what you want", they have either given up on their beliefs or well on their way.


Not really. Atheists always want proof of God's existence. I don't have to prove anything. I don't have to prove God's existence as their conversion is not my concern, because I don't care what they believe or choose not to believe. I care about them as a person, as a child of God, I pray for them, but I don't care about their belief or unbelief. I don't worry about things I have no control over, like them converting and drones circling the countryside spying on people (another thread). I can't even control whether I will go to bed at night or wake up in the morning. I just ask that when atheists quote or rather interpret Sacred Scripture they know what they are talking about, they know theology and they get their history straight. History is always hit or miss, quoting/interpreting of Sacred Scripture and theology are ALWAYS a big miss.

I also have to say your quote from 1 Peter is a bit out of context. Verses 13-22 instruct a believer how to act in the face of persecution. They are to remain Christ like, courageous and steadfast in faith, rejoice in their suffering because of their hope and not suffer the fear of sinners. They are not to return evil for evil and when someone sees them and questions why they do not fear then they respond with "Faith and Hope in Jesus Christ."

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-22 00:03, acesover wrote:

I am sure you mean informed. Smile



BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT TO BELIEVE :_
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 23:07, Dreadnought wrote:

Theists, especially, those of the Abrahamic faiths are sure, as it is called faith.



I am just as sure that no such thing as a god(s) has ever existed. It's called reason Smile

Quote:

From a theological standpoint, atheism is not the default position as everyone is born with a conscience




Debatable.

Quote:

and, more importantly, a soul which is always trying to reconnect with it's Creator in spite of misdirected desires and influences.



Highly debatable as there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a soul.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
So what day of the week was Last Supper on, how many angels were at Jesus' tomb, how many women came to the tomb, where did they go directly after, and to whom, if anyone, did they tell what they had witnessed?

Believe what I want? You mean I should just pick one of the Gospels and go with that account?

But I can tell you this- when I was a practicing Catholic I would have had no problem answering that question. I am not trying to argue that the events described in the Gospels didn't happen. I'm simply pointing out the serious problems that arise when one insists on a literal interpretation of Scripture.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 22:57, mastermindreader wrote:
No one is born an atheist, either, I think the default position would be agnostic. (Inasmuch as a newborn doesn't really have an opinion on the issue.)


Bob, how do personally differentiate your definition of atheist and agnostic? I find them to be very similar and consider myself an "agnostic atheist", but many people have their own definitions of each. I'd be interested in hearing yours.

Jeff
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-22 00:08, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 23:51, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 19:04, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 17:53, mastermindreader wrote:
So what day of the week was Last Supper on, how many angels were at Jesus' tomb, how many women came to the tomb, where did they go directly after, and to whom, if anyone, did they tell what they had witnessed?


BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.



BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT? Are you atheist/agnostic, or do believe in a non-Christian book? (I'm asking because I honestly don't know for sure what your faith is or isn't.)

1 Peter 3:15 (KJV) says: "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear"

Saying "Believe what you want" is not what the Christian Bible asks of you. That particular verse was the beginning of the end of my religious beliefs. I tried to find answers to defend my faith, but the more I read, the more it bacame impossible to give answers to legitimate questions about my faith. At least I tried though. I tried for years.

If a "believer" ever responds to questions about the Bible with a remark like "Believe what you want", they have either given up on their beliefs or well on their way.



I really have to say that the last line in your post is one of the most off the wall assumptions I have ever heard. I am a devout catholic and if you have been following this thread at all you would know that.

However I am not a missionary. That is not my calling. If you really think you can change someones mind on a thread on a fourm go right ahead. Knock yourself out. But I will stick to my saying.

BELIEVE WHAT YoU WANT.


Have you read your Bible? The last sentence of my post wouldn't make any sense to an atheist or someone of a different religion, but as a Catholic, you should understand why it not only makes sense, but you should be important to you in your faith if you want to call yourself a Catholic as I did for 20+ years.

It has nothing to do with me changing anyone's beliefs on anything, it's about the believer follwing what their Bible tells them to do. I'm not the one who's claiming to follow the word of the Bible. It's up to the believer to do as the Bible tells you.

You can pick and choose what parts of the Bible you choose to follow, but don't get offended when you are called on the parts you prefer to toss aside.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..33~34~35~36~37..43..48..53..58..63..64~65~66 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL