The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..20..31..42..53..64~65~66 [Next]
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Kam,

We don't look to define God---we seek to KNOW Him. In a relationship we look to know one another and to find out more about the one we love. When people try to put God in a box conflict will occur. His ways are higher than ours. Yet we still try to know Him the best we can for one reason---we love Him. I have a personal relationship with Him and I am always trying to know Him more. As a result He draws closer to me and I learn more and more about Him and I'm glad I do. For those who don't know Him or believe in Him I feel sad for you because you are missing out on a relationship that will be like no other. Even if you don't believe in Him now at least keep seeking. A closed mouth won't get fed and a closed mind won't find answers.

Good magic to all,

Eric
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Eric, in general I agree with your post above.

There is however a mysterious relationship between God, his chosen earthly Representatives, and humankind. The nature of that relationship, for me at least, is a fascinating exploration, filled with awe and wonder......

Good magic to you too my friend Smile

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 01:52, critter wrote:
Most people aren't aware that I was raised Southern Baptist by a far-right family. I was even a hard-core creationist all the way through Junior High and the beginning of high school. I even remember plugging my ears when talk of evolution came up in school so that I wouldn't be "corrupted."
Well, this thread isn't about my beliefs anyway. Just some fun Critterivia there for ya'.

I feel your pain. I grew up in the Catholic church and was afraid to even have an impure though up till my mid 20's. It was a tough puberty. Smile
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
For the record, I too was brought up Catholic. Baptized in the Catholic church, went to Sunday school, received communion, confirmation - the whole thing.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Please don't confuse being raised in ANY church with a real relationship with God. In fact I have found when I'm alone with God I feel the closest to Him. The best way to describe it is you are all by yourself yet you know you are not alone. Churches do a lot of good. But I know they can be in the way at times depending on the church you go to. I am fortunate I came to God before I ever sat in any sermon. Anyway get away with God for awhile and just see what happens.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 17:24, R.S. wrote:

For the record, I too was brought up Catholic. Baptized in the Catholic church, went to Sunday school, received communion, confirmation - the whole thing.

I guess I was fortunate. My mother was the religious one but she couldn't drive. My father was more apathetic than agnostic. He just wanted Sundays to himself and not waste it by going to church. So I was 25 before I ever attended a church service. And I must admit it was sort of hard to keep from laughing when I did. American Baptist. When the minister came out wading waist deep in the font behind the alter I almost lost it.

Probably a good thing I didn't go to church any earlier as I would have been a problem child. I ask far too many questions and saw through the whole scheme. I remember being six or seven when someone tried to explain the devil and hell to me. I told them that that was just stuff you told people to make them act good. I never bought it for a second.

Then of course when you get older you find out about other religions, a lot of them far older than the current ones. You start to put two and two together and come to the realization that they can't all be right, but they can all be wrong. Consequently I don't suffer from guilt or shame so it's hard for religion to get a foothold in my life as I don't have any "sins" that I feel need to be somehow forgiving by an invisible father figure in the sky.

Life's been good so far for me. I've not suffered hardships nor difficult times so I've really never had reason to seek solace in some supernatural entity. I suppose if there was a god and it really wanted me to believe in it it would have provided me with a reason to do so. So far, I can't see how my life would be any better nor different if there was such an entity in it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 12:13, kambiz wrote:
Eric, in general I agree with your post above.

There is however a mysterious relationship between God, his chosen earthly Representatives, and humankind. The nature of that relationship, for me at least, is a fascinating exploration, filled with awe and wonder......

Good magic to you too my friend Smile

Kam

God chose no one to represent Him in these times. In case you have forgotten they choose to do so through Free Will. Some God may be pleased with and others not so much. Either way though they made the decisions not God.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 01:57, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 17:24, R.S. wrote:

I guess I was fortunate. My mother was the religious one but she couldn't drive. My father was more apathetic than agnostic. He just wanted Sundays to himself and not waste it by going to church. So I was 25 before I ever attended a church service. And I must admit it was sort of hard to keep from laughing when I did. American Baptist. When the minister came out wading waist deep in the font behind the alter I almost lost it.

Probably a good thing I didn't go to church any earlier as I would have been a problem child. I ask far too many questions and saw through the whole scheme. I remember being six or seven when someone tried to explain the devil and hell to me. I told them that that was just stuff you told people to make them act good. I never bought it for a second.

Then of course when you get older you find out about other religions, a lot of them far older than the current ones. You start to put two and two together and come to the realization that they can't all be right, but they can all be wrong. Consequently I don't suffer from guilt or shame so it's hard for religion to get a foothold in my life as I don't have any "sins" that I feel need to be somehow forgiving by an invisible father figure in the sky.

Life's been good so far for me. I've not suffered hardships nor difficult times so I've really never had reason to seek solace in some supernatural entity. I suppose if there was a god and it really wanted me to believe in it it would have provided me with a reason to do so. So far, I can't see how my life would be any better nor different if there was such an entity in it.

I can only say I am happy for you in that you feel that your life is going well. I am also happy for you that you have a not sinned. So in that respect you already know God somewhat but are not yet aware of it. You have done nothing to warrant displeasure with God other than to poke a little fun at Him here and from your post have lived a perfect and sin free life. You seem to be a shining example of a good christian minus the belief. That is if we can believe all tha stuff about a sinfree life that you say you have lifed. That is not for me to judge.

Your only flaw and I do find it a major one is tht you say you have no reason to seek God because you have not suffered any hard ships etc. If that would be your only reason for seeking God I am sorry to say you are probably lost already.

It would seem to me that you should have sought out God a long time ago for all the wonderful things that He has already bestowed on you in this life, if we can believe your story. However you seem to be doing it in reverse in that you would be seeking God for a favor because you have suffered a hardship and now need His assistance to help you throoughthis hardship. That is not seeking God. That is nothing more than seeking the good life until something goes wrong and then blame God for it Then to top it off ask for His help after shunning Him all of your life. How do you think that would turn out if it was a person that you slighted all your life and poked fun at them every chance you got? Then suddenly found yourself in need of their assistance for whatever reason after all thrse years because you fell on bad times and now want their help. Well I cannot answer for God but I can probably answer for most people if they were the one shunned and poked fun at. I think it would probably go something like this, "tough darts, that's a shame Payne". Suck it up, as they say, you reap what you sow.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 10:20, acesover wrote:

It would seem to me that you should have sought out God a long time ago for all the wonderful things that He has already bestowed on you in this life, if we can believe your story. However you seem to be doing it in reverse in that you would be seeking God for a favor because you have suffered a hardship and now need His assistance to help you throoughthis hardship. That is not seeking God. That is nothing more than seeking the good life until something goes wrong and then blame God for it Then to top it off ask for His help after shunning Him all of your life. How do you think that would turn out if it was a person that you slighted all your life and poked fun at them every chance you got? Then suddenly found yourself in need of their assistance for whatever reason after all thrse years because you fell on bad times and now want their help. Well I cannot answer for God but I can probably answer for most people if they were the one shunned and poked fun at. I think it would probably go something like this, "tough darts, that's a shame Payne". Suck it up, as they say, you reap what you sow.

Who said I was going to ask the great invisible sky daddy for anything if and when my life becomes filled with pain and adversity? It would be kind of silly for me to ask anything from something that doesn't exist. I'd get as much help and comfort from those Pink Unicorns on Alpha Centari than I would from the equally imaginary gods.

No, if I fall flat on my face I'll get through it on my own. No need to beg made up celestial entities for help. Life isn't fair and there are no promises and guarantees. I've gotten this far on my own. I'm pretty sure I'll finish the race under my own power as well.

But thanks for your concern.

As for the sin thing. It is quite true that I have never committed one. Since I'm not a devote of the faith the rules and regulations simply don't apply to me. Thus I can do all those things that are forbidden to followers of your faith without guilt or fear of admonishment. So I can happily eat Ham and Bacon, shellfish, wear poly-cotton blends, and do most anything I like on Saturday and Sunday without the slightest bit of guilt. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 11:07, Payne wrote:
Since I'm not a devote of the faith the rules and regulations simply don't apply to me. Thus I can do all those things that are forbidden to followers of your faith without guilt or fear of admonishment. So I can happily eat Ham and Bacon, shellfish, wear poly-cotton blends, and do most anything I like on Saturday and Sunday without the slightest bit of guilt. Smile

To say nothing of theft and murder!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Payne, I think the problem with your acid wit with regard to religion is that people feel insulted. I am not a believer, but I don't feel that believers are beneath me in any way. In fact, I envy them. You say that you don't need any help. Well, I would like some; I just don't believe it's available. You seem pround of your lack of belief. I am disappointed by my inability to believe.

It's not important, but it interests me how two people with similar points of view seem to have such different points of view. You come across as angry, as if the existence of religious belief insults you personally. I truly don't think that's how you mean it, but that's how it comes across to me.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 11:07, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 10:20, acesover wrote:

Who said I was going to ask the great invisible sky daddy for anything if and when my life becomes filled with pain and adversity? It would be kind of silly for me to ask anything from something that doesn't exist. I'd get as much help and comfort from those Pink Unicorns on Alpha Centari than I would from the equally imaginary gods.

No, if I fall flat on my face I'll get through it on my own. No need to beg made up celestial entities for help. Life isn't fair and there are no promises and guarantees. I've gotten this far on my own. I'm pretty sure I'll finish the race under my own power as well.

But thanks for your concern.

As for the sin thing. It is quite true that I have never committed one. Since I'm not a devote of the faith the rules and regulations simply don't apply to me. Thus I can do all those things that are forbidden to followers of your faith without guilt or fear of admonishment. So I can happily eat Ham and Bacon, shellfish, wear poly-cotton blends, and do most anything I like on Saturday and Sunday without the slightest bit of guilt. Smile

OK lets answer your questions as you asked them You start off by saying Who said I was going to ask the great invisible, etc. etc... Did you forget what you posted originally? Here is a cut and paste of it: Life's been good so far for me. I've not suffered hardships nor difficult times so I've really never had reason to seek solace in some supernatural entity. Which by its wording if you had these haardships you would ask. But I am sure you will say that is not what you meant.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This next part of your post is really off the wall you must admit. It makes for a horrible defense. Here it is as another cut and paste: As for the sin thing. It is quite true that I have never committed one. Since I'm not a devote of the faith the rules and regulations simply don't apply to me. Thus I can do all those things that are forbidden to followers of your faith without guilt or fear of admonishment. So I can happily eat Ham and Bacon, shellfish, wear poly-cotton blends, and do most anything I like on Saturday and Sunday without the slightest bit of guilt. Smile

With this thought in mind as long as YOU feel that murder and robbery and lets throw in rape for good measure is not a sin or an offence this gives you the right to do these things. Well alrighty then. I can see now why you feel you hve done nothing wrong in your life. Smile Just as an example in your defense Icanhear it now. Your honor I saw the watch lying on the counter of the jewerly store and I really believe in my heart tht if I took it there is nothing wrong with that.. The judge looks at you and says "OK I understand. NOT GUILTY. Smile Next case". Joy breaks out in the courtroom with all of the defendants jumping up an down saying I thought it was ok to do that.
:dancing: <-----defendants Payne-------> Smile

Thanks for your input on this topic Payne I think it goes a long way into seeing who you are.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Wow, you just love putting words in peoples mouths don't you?

Where did I say that I would break man's law? It's only the silly irrelevant list of sin's that I ignore. I don't steal because somebody's deity supposedly told some old guy on a mountain top that it was wrong. I don't steal because it's against man's law. Society eons ago figured out all by themselves that a flourishing and vibrant culture needed to maintain certain rules of conduct if it was going to survive. Societal evolution in action. This is how the golden rule eventually got worked out. Not because of some made up supernatural entity carved them in stone. But because people sat down and worked it out for themselves. Clever creatures we humans be.

I obey the laws of the land, the laws of man. The laws we vote on, reject or ammened as we move ever forward. I don't pay any attention to the completely irrevelant sins listed in ancient books.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 12:54, Payne wrote:
This is how the golden rule eventually got worked out. Not because of some made up supernatural entity carved them in stone. But because people sat down and worked it out for themselves.

Of course, you cannot possibly be certain of this.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 11:48, stoneunhinged wrote:
Payne, I think the problem with your acid wit with regard to religion is that people feel insulted. I am not a believer, but I don't feel that believers are beneath me in any way. In fact, I envy them. You say that you don't need any help. Well, I would like some; I just don't believe it's available. You seem pround of your lack of belief. I am disappointed by my inability to believe.

It's not important, but it interests me how two people with similar points of view seem to have such different points of view. You come across as angry, as if the existence of religious belief insults you personally. I truly don't think that's how you mean it, but that's how it comes across to me.

I'm not angry. Some of my best friends are believers. It's just fun to yank their chains and upset the apple cart from time to time. Everybody needs a hobby. Smile

Not even I believe half the stuff I write here. Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 13:23, S2000magician wrote:

[Of course, you cannot possibly be certain of this.

Of course not, but cultural anthropologists have done a lot of research in this regard. I'd trust their findings over a bunch of superstitious bronze age shepard's any day Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 14:00, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 13:23, S2000magician wrote:
Of course, you cannot possibly be certain of this.

I'd trust [cultural anthropologists'] findings over a bunch of superstitious bronze age shepard's any day Smile

Sounds like elitism to me. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
In response to Payne, acesover wrote:

Quote:
With this thought in mind as long as YOU feel that murder and robbery and lets throw in rape for good measure is not a sin or an offence this gives you the right to do these things. Well alrighty then. I can see now why you feel you hve done nothing wrong in your life. Just as an example in your defense Icanhear it now. Your honor I saw the watch lying on the counter of the jewerly store and I really believe in my heart tht if I took it there is nothing wrong with that.. The judge looks at you and says "OK I understand. NOT GUILTY. Next case". Joy breaks out in the courtroom with all of the defendants jumping up an down saying I thought it was ok to do that.

That has to be one of the most blatant examples of the straw man fallacy I have ever seen. Payne was very clearly referring to "sins" such as failing to observe the Sabbath, etc. He was clearly not implying that he was not bound by civil and/or criminal laws.

Payne certainly doesn't need me to defend him, but since you decided to use a court room analogy, and since I'm a former defense attorney, I can't resist. Therefore:

Legally speaking, your response was irrelevant, incompetent and immaterial. Additionally, it assumes facts not in evidence and thus should be stricken from the record.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 14:15, S2000magician wrote:

Sounds like elitism to me. Smile

You say that as if it's a bad thing Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 14:28, mastermindreader wrote:

That has to be one of the most blatant examples of the straw man fallacy I have ever seen. Payne was very clearly referring to "sins" such as failing to observe the Sabbath, etc. He was clearly not implying that he was not bound by civil and/or criminal laws.

Payne certainly doesn't need me to defend him, but since you decided to use a court room analogy, and since I'm a former defense attorney, I can't resist. Therefore:

Legally speaking, your response was irrelevant, incompetent and immaterial. Additionally, it assumes facts not in evidence and thus should be stricken from the record.

Thanks for the support!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..20..31..42..53..64~65~66 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL