The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..64~65~66
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Aces, can I ask: would you opt for there to be unicorns or would you prefer them being just a fantasy? And why?

Or to put it another way: what is the point of these questions that can't be answered.

Better question: would you like to believe in something that you know doesn't exist just because it made you feel better? Would you actively believe in unicorns even knowing that they don't exist because it made you feel better to believe in unicorns then to face the idea that there are no unicorns.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27103 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 11:40, Slide wrote:...would you like to believe in something that you know doesn't exist just because it made you feel better? ...


depends... does that come with sanctioned feelings of rightousness, smugness, and the feeling that it's okay to belittle others and they can't belittle my behavior - while any other such expressed patterns of claimed belief are actively belittled by the managment?

Nobody is born as or with a religion. All have to be indoctrinated.

Any thoughts on the recent 'created worlds' dramas in current fiction?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I would like for there to be unicorns.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27103 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 15:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I would like for there to be unicorns.


There are in fiction and paintings and toystores. What would you imagine happening if there were intelligent horselike animals around? Would you let them vote?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 16:00, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What would you imagine happening if there were intelligent horselike animals around?

There are intelligent, horselike animals around.

They're called . . . horses.

Many are a lot more intelligent than a lot of people.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Let 'em vote--they've got good horse-sense.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27103 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 16:51, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 16:00, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What would you imagine happening if there were intelligent horselike animals around?

There are intelligent, horselike animals around.

They're called . . . horses.

Many are a lot more intelligent than a lot of people.

Must be fun to believe Mr. Ed was real and a Houyhnhnm. I was under the impression that he was faking it with peanut butter and a thread. Why not also make Mr. Ed a ventriloquist with Wylbur Post dumb?

Real question: How could you know if another creature is intelligent - and would you really want to know that? It's disengenious in this sort of discussion to pretend that "yes but less intelligent than me" is a useful criterion - as they might just be fooling you - and then what?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I think there is a good case to be made that there are more intelligent creatures than us, or certainly close to us: the dolphin comes to mind.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27103 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 17:40, Slide wrote:
I think there is a good case to be made that there are more intelligent creatures than us, or certainly close to us: the dolphin comes to mind.


How so? Do you have an answer to the question about how to know if a creature is intelligent? If so, care to share it? I don't see any news about dolphin votes swinging elections.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 17:58, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I don't see any news about dolphin votes swinging elections.


Maybe that's the evidence Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27103 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 18:11, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 17:58, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I don't see any news about dolphin votes swinging elections.


Maybe that's the evidence Smile


hmmmm not according to The Mice or Elmer the tiny pink invisible flying elephant.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 11:40, Slide wrote:
Aces, can I ask: would you opt for there to be unicorns or would you prefer them being just a fantasy? And why?

Or to put it another way: what is the point of these questions that can't be answered.

Better question: would you like to believe in something that you know doesn't exist just because it made you feel better? Would you actively believe in unicorns even knowing that they don't exist because it made you feel better to believe in unicorns then to face the idea that there are no unicorns.


What are you talking about? why can't they be answered?

I wish there were Unicorn. I really like the concept.

Why can't you answer the question? Don't you understand it? It is a very noncomittal question. You really have issues if you can't answer this. Its not a belief, it is just a question. Even if you do not believe in a Supreme Being maybe you would prefer if there was one. Maybe you believe in a Supreme Being an you wish there wasn't one. It is not a trick question.

No one is asking you to believe in anything. The question is which would you prefer to be true. Jeeez. Not asking you to believe in anythinig get that through your head.

And I wil say again I wish there were unicorns. Not believe in them, I wish they were a reality.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I wish there were genies in the Barbara Eden mold.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 15:55, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 11:40, Slide wrote:...would you like to believe in something that you know doesn't exist just because it made you feel better? ...


depends... does that come with sanctioned feelings of rightousness, smugness, and the feeling that it's okay to belittle others and they can't belittle my behavior - while any other such expressed patterns of claimed belief are actively belittled by the managment?

Nobody is born as or with a religion. All have to be indoctrinated.

Any thoughts on the recent 'created worlds' dramas in current fiction?


It was a stupid question for slide to ask as it has nothing to do with the original post. He is talking about beliefs. Not what is. You have to understand slide. He is biased and wears blinders. Oh yes he is into unicorns. Of course I realy wish they existed.

Slide really, if you don't care to answer the question, keep your mouth shut, or at lest keep your foot out of it.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 11:40, Slide wrote:
Aces, can I ask: would you opt for there to be unicorns or would you prefer them being just a fantasy? And why?

Or to put it another way: what is the point of these questions that can't be answered.

Better question: would you like to believe in something that you know doesn't exist just because it made you feel better? Would you actively believe in unicorns even knowing that they don't exist because it made you feel better to believe in unicorns then to face the idea that there are no unicorns.


Your posts just get dumber and dumber. Why do you keep bringiing up believe? It has nothing to do with the question. Or are you just talking to yourself?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4953 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 17:58, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 17:40, Slide wrote:
I think there is a good case to be made that there are more intelligent creatures than us, or certainly close to us: the dolphin comes to mind.


How so? Do you have an answer to the question about how to know if a creature is intelligent? If so, care to share it? I don't see any news about dolphin votes swinging elections.

That's what they'd like you to believe.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 18:50, Steve_Mollett wrote:
I wish there were genies in the Barbara Eden mold.



Amen.


Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Some posts really crack me up. Moat often, their authors aren't kidding. As Ira Corn once said, "That's what makes it so great."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27103 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
So tempting to quote a wiser Jonathan's poetic rhapsody in reference to magicians.
Landmark, we are writing in a venue where most have not read Swift's lines about fleas and of them fewer still have inverted the notion.
Perhaps we can go with Johnson and ask:
Who made my cheese?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..64~65~66
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL