The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..27..36..45..54..63..64~65~66 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Oh, I thought ABBA meant "Swedish band loved by all."
Well, I have learned something today.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:38, kambiz wrote:
Well Eric, I can put hand on heart and tell you that the President of the Unitarian Church in Australia is a dental patient of mine...

Kam


So I take it there isn't something like HIPAA where you live?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:40, acesover wrote:
You naysayers of the bible confuse me. Why would you worry about something you know does not exist and is all made up? Why would you discuss the bible when you know it not to be true or factual? What would be your point?


I discuss books from everyone from Shakespeare to Stephen King that aren't true or factual. I love literature. What is so confusing about that?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:43, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:38, kambiz wrote:
Well Eric, I can put hand on heart and tell you that the President of the Unitarian Church in Australia is a dental patient of mine...

Kam


So I take it there isn't something like HIPAA where you live?


No HIPPA but they have kangaroos.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:57, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:43, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:38, kambiz wrote:
Well Eric, I can put hand on heart and tell you that the President of the Unitarian Church in Australia is a dental patient of mine...

Kam


So I take it there isn't something like HIPAA where you live?


No HIPPA but they have kangaroos.


....and koalas too.....now they're cute Smile

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:52, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:40, acesover wrote:
You naysayers of the bible confuse me. Why would you worry about something you know does not exist and is all made up? Why would you discuss the bible when you know it not to be true or factual? What would be your point?


I discuss books from everyone from Shakespeare to Stephen King that aren't true or factual. I love literature. What is so confusing about that?
I just finished Grisham's Calico Joe. Good tale with lots of baseball.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I like the Devils.
I knew about kangaroos 'cause of the poacher scene from Crocodile Dundee.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:40, critter wrote:
Oh, I thought ABBA meant "Swedish band loved by all."
Well, I have learned something today.


You know people who like ABBA?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
I’m going to bare my heart here and answer acesover’s question about what would prove the existence of God to me.

My mother has Alzheimer’s Disease. Seven weeks ago she had a mini stroke. She’s recovering from that, physically, but she’s losing blocks of memory with increasing frequency. There are blocks of years that she can’t remember now. My dad had a couple of strokes last year and is losing control of his body in different ways each day. Monday he couldn’t stand or walk. Tuesday he could. This afternoon he couldn’t recognize who my mom was. This evening he could. I am staying with them now and have stopped taking gigs to care for them full time. And I am watching them die a little more each day.

My cat has been my source of comfort through this. I hold her and pet her and cry myself to sleep some nights. It’s difficult to explain how important she is to my wellbeing. Last month I was told she has cancer and will die in three to four months. She’s eight years old. Almost all of the other pets I’ve had lived to be 18 to 20 years old, so I was kind of counting another eight years with her.

My heart is breaking and I am in such sadness that I can literally feel the life force leaving me. I have accepted what is happening to my parents since I have seen it with three of my grandparents too. But with all of this happening at once I really no longer have a desire to live. In fact, I feel now that I plan to leave this world after I have taken care of my family’s final needs.

I have prayed, prayed sincerely. I have prayed that my cat’s cancer disappears and that I can have her for at least a few years after my parents are gone. I have no one else. If that would happen, not only would it prove for me the existence of God, but also the power of prayer. And if that would happen I state here and now, in public, that I will dedicate my life to preaching and proclaiming the Word of God and the power of prayer to all who will hear me.

All I ask is to have my cat. I am in tears now and can’t write anymore.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 02:20, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 01:40, critter wrote:
Oh, I thought ABBA meant "Swedish band loved by all."
Well, I have learned something today.


You know people who like ABBA?


Do you not hear the drums, Fernando?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Jesus was very clear He was/is the Son of God."

oh man...clearly you've never read the bible. NO WHERE does Jesus say he was the son of god. He said he was the son of man, as we all are. It is shorthand for saying he is "everyman". Please show me anywhere in the kings james version of the bible where jesus said he was the son of god.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 15:51, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 15:33, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 15:23, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 13:52, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 13:48, acesover wrote:
Is it really that difficult for people to see that they must accept God through their Free Will?

It would mean nothing if he made you accept Him.

It is like giving you a piece of marble and asking you to create a masterpiece. But instead of using a chisel and sculptor tools we set up a computer system that does all the work for you and carves out a statue. All you had to do was turn on a switch and it was done for you. Is that really a masterpiece? Well that is the arguement that many give here. Why doesn'tGod just make me do it as he is God? Because He loved you so much He gave you free will to determine your own destiny. It is really quite simple.


He loves you so much that he gave you a chance to go to Hell?

Smile


And some choose it.

If He gave you no choice what would that be like? Take responsibility for your own actions. Grow up. Blame no one but yourself for your situation. You had choices and you made them. Now live and die with those choices. Simple as that.


Hmm, too bad for Gandhi. He was such a nice man, did some good things too...

Well...


Are you comparing yourself to Gandhi? If not what point are you trying to make?


That Gandhi was not Christian and is destined for eternal ***ation by the Christian version of God.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Why would you worry about something you know does not exist and is all made up? Why would you discuss the bible when you know it not to be true or factual"

Well, there are so many answers to this, it is hard to know where to start. First, the King James version of the bible is one of the most important books of western literature. Unless you've studied it, it is impossible to make sense of most of western art: music, literature, painting - all had references and imagery drawn from the bible. Certain sections of the King James bible, the psalms, ecclesiastics, are some of the most beautiful passages in the english language, certainly matching shakespeare in eloquence.

But you assume that atheists were just born that way. Some of us, like myself, have done years of study on religion. I have been a member of a few churchs, studied buddism, and I have done extensive reading in christianity. Add to that I used to teach meditation classes at the local Episcopal church and sat zen medication for 10 years. It was only after a thorough study, many many hours spent in mediation, prayer etc that I came to the conclusion that christianity was incorrect and actually did much more harm than good. In otherwords: I undertook my own study of the subject and I didn't just believe what some nutjob in the pulpit spewed at me. My question to you is: if you believe in christianity than wouldn't it be important enough to you to find the TRUTH? Rather than blindly accepting what you are told as whole cloth? Even when I was involved with the church, I knew the church wasn't the answer: the answer comes from deep meditation, forgetting what you've been told and finding the answers yourself, the same way Jesus AND the buddha did.

And third: books like mein kampf, and other books of prejudice and hatred must be studied so that those ideas can be exposed when presented in more modern terms. Know your enemy. In today's world, with religious Fundamentalists creating one of the most dangerous threats to human survival, it is vastly important that fundamentalism be challenged and fought on all fronts. Including a magic forum.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 02:53, Bill Hilly wrote:
I�m going to bare my heart here and answer acesover�s question about what would prove the existence of God to me.

My mother has Alzheimer�s Disease. Seven weeks ago she had a mini stroke. She�s recovering from that, physically, but she�s losing blocks of memory with increasing frequency. There are blocks of years that she can�t remember now. My dad had a couple of strokes last year and is losing control of his body in different ways each day. Monday he couldn�t stand or walk. Tuesday he could. This afternoon he couldn�t recognize who my mom was. This evening he could. I am staying with them now and have stopped taking gigs to care for them full time. And I am watching them die a little more each day.

My cat has been my source of comfort through this. I hold her and pet her and cry myself to sleep some nights. It�s difficult to explain how important she is to my wellbeing. Last month I was told she has cancer and will die in three to four months. She�s eight years old. Almost all of the other pets I�ve had lived to be 18 to 20 years old, so I was kind of counting another eight years with her.

My heart is breaking and I am in such sadness that I can literally feel the life force leaving me. I have accepted what is happening to my parents since I have seen it with three of my grandparents too. But with all of this happening at once I really no longer have a desire to live. In fact, I feel now that I plan to leave this world after I have taken care of my family�s final needs.

I have prayed, prayed sincerely. I have prayed that my cat�s cancer disappears and that I can have her for at least a few years after my parents are gone. I have no one else. If that would happen, not only would it prove for me the existence of God, but also the power of prayer. And if that would happen I state here and now, in public, that I will dedicate my life to preaching and proclaiming the Word of God and the power of prayer to all who will hear me.

All I ask is to have my cat. I am in tears now and can�t write anymore.


God or no God, you stay strong okay? So sorry to hear all that befalling you...

Be with them as much as you can.

Prayer does help, even if God isn't there.

We will all die, no need to hasten the inevitable, still many more sunsets to see... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 02:53, Bill Hilly wrote:
I’m going to bare my heart here and answer acesover’s question about what would prove the existence of God to me.

My mother has Alzheimer’s Disease. Seven weeks ago she had a mini stroke. She’s recovering from that, physically, but she’s losing blocks of memory with increasing frequency. There are blocks of years that she can’t remember now. My dad had a couple of strokes last year and is losing control of his body in different ways each day. Monday he couldn’t stand or walk. Tuesday he could. This afternoon he couldn’t recognize who my mom was. This evening he could. I am staying with them now and have stopped taking gigs to care for them full time. And I am watching them die a little more each day.

My cat has been my source of comfort through this. I hold her and pet her and cry myself to sleep some nights. It’s difficult to explain how important she is to my wellbeing. Last month I was told she has cancer and will die in three to four months. She’s eight years old. Almost all of the other pets I’ve had lived to be 18 to 20 years old, so I was kind of counting another eight years with her.

My heart is breaking and I am in such sadness that I can literally feel the life force leaving me. I have accepted what is happening to my parents since I have seen it with three of my grandparents too. But with all of this happening at once I really no longer have a desire to live. In fact, I feel now that I plan to leave this world after I have taken care of my family’s final needs.

I have prayed, prayed sincerely. I have prayed that my cat’s cancer disappears and that I can have her for at least a few years after my parents are gone. I have no one else. If that would happen, not only would it prove for me the existence of God, but also the power of prayer. And if that would happen I state here and now, in public, that I will dedicate my life to preaching and proclaiming the Word of God and the power of prayer to all who will hear me.

All I ask is to have my cat. I am in tears now and can’t write anymore.


Man oh man, Bill, I pray for you brother....

I pray God responds to your prayers in a way that is eternally best for you my friend.

Please be aware that prayers are always answered. Sometimes prayers are answered to strengthen ones resolve during tests.

I'll be honest with you mate, there is really good chance that your cats cancer will not just disappear, but rather God will bestow upon you the will and desire to find the courage to overcome and detach yourself from the pain of these tests. Youre services that you are rendering to your parents are admirable indeed, and I pray that these sorts of contributions you are making towards service to others will be continued through other means when your parents and cat do eventually pass away (and, as with all life, they will pass away some day).....find that strength brother, I know you can do it and use that inner strength to resume your services in their honour and in memory of your love for them Smile

I , for one will always be here for you

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
It's really funny how ignorant many people are when it comes to Christianity...including me.

According to the majority of Christians, including me, Gandhi is not going to receive eternal ***ation just because he had different religious beliefs.

And we do not beat our children when they show signs of being gay. We understand that being gay is a natural process. However, marriages under Catholicism are supposed to be formed for the sake of creation. Last time I checked, two guys or two girls together cannot create another life form. That is why we don't condone same-sex marriage; not because we don't think the two people shouldn't love each other, but because of our basis of marriage to begin with. If two males or two females could create life together, then Christian viewpoints would probably be different.

And again, Slide, you are wrong in thinking that all Christians preach about the end of days and go door-to-door to tell you how you need to be saved. That is wrong; I make fun of people who do that kind of stuff. I blow them off just as much as you or the next guy.

I think it's funny how people always think that Christians are controlling, trying to take away everybody's freedom. That, again, is not true. However, it seems to me that people are becoming more and more morally bad for the sake of "freedom." For instance; abortion. People promote it for the sake of "freedom," but in every case abortion is not the answer. Never. And yet it is acceptable because of "freedom."

Is it freedom when people look down on you when you say your religious beliefs? I think not. Is it freedom when you are not allowed to speak against other beliefs and ideas like abortion? I think not. Is it freedom when people are murderers are killed? I think not.

In all of the above cases, one group or person has more authority or "freedom" over another. When expressing my beliefs and being looked down on, the people who look down on me have more power than me to express their non-beliefs. When dealing with legalizing abortion, the people who legalize it have more power to do so than me. When dealing with capital punishment, the people who punish the murderer have more power than the victim.

Any way you look at it, every single side is fighting for power. EVERY SINGLE SIDE. Christians, Buddhists, atheists, Jews, the government, whatever. Every single side is striving for more power, so--in theory, no side can win. Ever.

Now, I know what you're thinking. If I'm trying to promote freedom, then why am I arguing against gay people?

I'm not. I embrace them just as much as you. What I don't want to happen is same-sex marriages. But, then again, that's just me trying to take control over them. You're right--it is. But, the other way around, legalizing same-sex marriage would be taking control over me. Neither side can win.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
So Gandhi will go to Christian Heaven?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

The concept of "Abrahamic religions" is tendentious and polemical. Islam actually rejects the Bible, and considers the received texts of the Jewish and Christian scriptures to have been falsified by the adherents of those religions. Although the Noble Qu'ran and the Hadiths refer to versions of some Bible stories that differ signficantly from the versions in the Bible texts, there is no real continuity between Judaism and Christianity on the one hand, and Islam on the other.

Hi Pakar,

I fear that Gandhi was not as good a man as most people seem to believe. The Jews however do not believe that he would be consigned to hellfire simply because he did not follow their religion.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 10:04, Woland wrote:
Hi Bob,

The concept of "Abrahamic religions" is tendentious and polemical. Islam actually rejects the Bible, and considers the received texts of the Jewish and Christian scriptures to have been falsified by the adherents of those religions. Although the Noble Qu'ran and the Hadiths refer to versions of some Bible stories that differ signficantly from the versions in the Bible texts, there is no real continuity between Judaism and Christianity on the one hand, and Islam on the other.

Hi Pakar,

I fear that Gandhi was not as good a man as most people seem to believe. The Jews however do not believe that he would be consigned to hellfire simply because he did not follow their religion.


Well, okay then. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-06-06 21:44, Steve_Mollett wrote:
One psychological theory on the development of religion is that faith in a higher intelligence with a higher purpose helps to:
A. Reduce the fear of our own mortality;
B. Give life purpose where none can be observed and;
C. Explain neatly all that is beyond our understanding.

Faith in positive forces gives comfort and hope; belief in the existence of negative (evil) forces gives form to our fears and a neat explanation for life's tragedies and injustices.

That's one set of ideas on the subject; needless to say, there are many more.


From a different thread. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..27..36..45..54..63..64~65~66 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL