The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..30..38..46..54..62..64~65~66 [Next]
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 17:26, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 17:18, Payne wrote:
The sun doesn’t orbit the earth.

According to Einstein, this is as reasonable a position as saying that the earth orbits the sun.

You weaken your argument when you include citations such as this.


Hi Bill!

This made me think... if it's reasonable to conclude that the Sun orbits the Earth, then wouldn't it also be reasonable to conclude that the Sun orbits ALL the planets in our Solar System? I mean, if your perspective was from Mars, the same "logic" would apply and you could say the Sun orbits Mars. And so forth for each planet. And that's a model that's unsustainable. Agree or disagree?


Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Payne,

The Bible does not define pi as 3.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
To those of us who believe the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God, it was not given for the purpose of arguing with non-believers. Any attempt to do so just conjures up the old saying (no, not in the Bible), "When you wrestle with a pig you both get dirty - and the pig likes it."

As 1 Cor. 1:18 says, "For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." Arguments such as those put forth in this thread only support that verse.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 20:23, Woland wrote:
Hi Payne,

The Bible does not define pi as 3.


From 1 Kings 7

23 He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits[o] to measure around it.

Looks like 3 to me Smile

Kind of difficult to compute the actual value of Pi in roman numerals and without a decimal point. It'd look something like III.XIV So in Biblical times I suppose Pi was three and a little extra. It can't be exactly ten cubits across and thirty cubits around. The math doesn't work that way. So if the Bible was going to be literally accurate it should have said "Thirty Cubits and a little bit more".
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 19:28, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 17:26, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 17:18, Payne wrote:
The sun doesn’t orbit the earth.

According to Einstein, this is as reasonable a position as saying that the earth orbits the sun.

You weaken your argument when you include citations such as this.

Hi Bill!

This made me think... if it's reasonable to conclude that the Sun orbits the Earth, then wouldn't it also be reasonable to conclude that the Sun orbits ALL the planets in our Solar System? I mean, if your perspective was from Mars, the same "logic" would apply and you could say the Sun orbits Mars. And so forth for each planet. And that's a model that's unsustainable. Agree or disagree?


Ron
:)

Howdy, Ron!

Yup. It's not that the model is unsustainable, it's that the viewpoints are inconsistent. That's OK. (Sort of like you and me disagreeing on things. I say "sort of" because for the solar system model any of the viewpoints is perfectly valid, whereas for our disagreements, clearly I'm right and you're wrong. Smile )
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 17:58, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 17:28, acesover wrote:
Scientific evidence of world wide flood: http://www.earthage.org/EarthOldorYoung/......lood.htm

Sorry, this is not scientific evidence as it hasn't been peer reviewed. Thus it's only opinion.

Not-being-peer-reviewed isn't sufficient to prove that it isn't scientific evidence. All peer-reviewed scientific evidence wasn't peer-reviewed until it was . . . well . . . reviewed by peers; but it was equally scientific before and after.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
I have finally decided to take this stance. Here is the explanation: My buddy while playing Texas Holdem said he has a flush and the board shows 1 spade, 1 diamond, 1 club and 2 hearts and everyone says you can't have a flush. To which he replies, "believe what you want" and just looks at his cards and raises.

So, BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Until the showdown, when he loses the pot. Reality doesn't care what anyone believes.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16249 Posts

Profile of tommy
Your are learning Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 22:03, acesover wrote:
I have finally decided to take this stance. Here is the explanation: My buddy while playing Texas Holdem said he has a flush and the board shows 1 spade, 1 diamond, 1 club and 2 hearts and everyone says you can't have a flush. To which he replies, "believe what you want" and just looks at his cards and raises.

So, BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.



acesover, that's the worst case FOR a belief system I have ever seen lol

I cant believe anything when what I am looking for will be the worlds greatest ever recorded miracle.

The question is, for how long will your eyes be shut from the reality that there is no flush on the table....its laughable that you cant stand up for all your ancestors who believed as you believe, and say "ENOUGH"....its time to stop this delusion...

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Acesover,

I would like to share with you a wonderful book called Misquoting Jesus: http://www.amazon.com/Misquoting-Jesus-S......60738170

I read this a few years ago. It was written by a former evangelical minister and bible scholar. What he discovered in his research was that much of the new testiment was re-written by the scribes of the 12th and 13th century, and that whole sections of the new testiment (including the "Let him without sin cast the first stone" ) was actually written by one of the scribes in the 1300's. You can read his research if you like. As a result of his study, he went from being an evangelical to an agnostic.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Slide-

I agree. Bart Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus" is one of the best non-fiction works I've read in recent years. Funny you should mention it because I was just rereading part of it earlier today.

I would offer two minor corrections, though. As Mr. Ehrman point out in his work, he did NOT discover these things about the Bible. They have been well known to textual historians and religious scholars for decades. He wrote the book because most lay people aren't the least bit familiar with textual criticism and what has been learned from it.

Also, he didn't become an agnostic because of what he "found" in his research. He clearly states in the question and answer section at the end of the book, that he lost his faith for other reasons related to the problem of an all-loving god presiding over a world in which horrific tragedies are allowed to happen regularly.

Good thoughts,

Bob
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 22:07, mastermindreader wrote:
Until the showdown, when he loses the pot. Reality doesn't care what anyone believes.


I don't think you are a poker player or you would have asked what the cards actually were before saying he lost the hand. Let me just give you a hint. A lot of hands beat a flush.

Think ouside the box. Come on you are smarter than that. So his "believe what you want" could very well be a come on. Just like me saying believe what YOU want it does not matter, only the truth matters. All is well that ends well. So believe what you want it is definitely your decision to gather the information and decide what you will, or as I said...believe what you want. Just like the saying goes. You cannot see the forest because of the trees. No flush, BUT. No scientific proof BUT.

In the end no one knows for sure do they? There are some who claim to know one way or the other. There are some who know they are right they are the devout believers. But for the most part I believe like my buddy says. Believe what you want...it does not matter to him what you believe. He knows the truth, he knows what he is holding and all you are doing is guessing and taking into acount his statement saying I have a flush. A simple analogy here would be the two cards inhishand are the bible and that holds al lthe answers to the hand, because he is holding the nuts. Hope you undersand poker terms.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
I have a question....

In the womb, which is the environment given to you when you were a foetus, would you consider your mother all-loving for providing for your needs in the womb?

What if for some reason you went through a heart palpitation (which can be a traumatic occurence for the foetus)....would you dishonour your mother for all that she has provided for you?

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The fact is that I've been a poker player for over 40 years and have won a large number of local hold em tournaments.

I really won't stoop to condescending comments like, "I know you are smarter than that," because I'm sure you understood exactly what I meant. Your little poker story was presented as an example of how people can believe whatever they want, not as a lesson in poker strategy.

Nice try at back peddling, though.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I don't know whether he won the hand, but I know he didn't have a flush. That's proof, not faith.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16249 Posts

Profile of tommy
You don't need the best hand to win always as you can bluff. Is the man bluffing? No! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5698x5qVWeg
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Acesover-

To get a bit back on topic, though, do you agree or disagree with the following statement. I'd really like to know:

The question about the origins of the world and of man has been the object of many scientific studies which have splendidly enriched our knowledge of the age and dimensions of the cosmos, the development of life-forms and the appearance of man.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 23:23, mastermindreader wrote:
The fact is that I've been a poker player for over 40 years and have won a large number of local hold em tournaments.

I really won't stoop to condescending comments like, "I know you are smarter than that," because I'm sure you understood exactly what I meant. Your little poker story was presented as an example of how people can believe whatever they want, not as a lesson in poker strategy.

Nice try at back peddling, though.



Bob, do you play any online stuff?

Myself and the boys have our own little poker league that's been happening the past 3 years or so....fancy some external challenges lol

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I did play on line frequently until they made on-line gambling illegal in my state. Bummer.

But I prefer live casino tournament play. I play much better when I can see my opponents.

Good thoughts,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..30..38..46..54..62..64~65~66 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL