The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Tricks for the Blind? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
thatmatt
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of thatmatt
Wow! I would have never imagined there were so many tricks that could be performed for the visually-impaired. I haven't come across any blind people in my audience so far. Other than tricks based on mathematics (calculation, magic with numbers) and the multiplying sponge balls, I couldn't really think of anything else.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of edshern
If this post interests you, then I challenge you to seek out the blind with some of these effects !!!
Call your local association for the blind and offer your services.
That's what I'm going to do.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of edshern
I have looked at tons of tricks and picked a dozen or so that I can do in the hands and/or minds of a blind person.
My problem now is how to convert these basic tricks from a ta-da moment, into a magical event for a blind person. How many tricks to perform? In what order? Do I write a script verbatim or just an outline and ad lib? I have never done this & I need help.
I need the help of a teacher to help me routine and script it.

When done, I would like to donate this routine to any magician assuring me that they will contact & perform at their local association for the Blind.

If this interests you or if you know someone please Email me at edshern@gmail.com. Would you charge by the hour or set price for the project.

THANK YOU,
Ed Shernoff
edshern@gmail.com
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
I would explore the field of mentalism. Reading minds is not as visual dependant and there are probably many effects that can be done without
needing vision to appreciate the magic. Get a hold of some mentalism books and see what you can use.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Thanks to everyone for all of your thoughts. I thought I'd add mine as well. Here are tricks that I think would work for the visually impaired:

Hey y'all, this subject comes up a lot. Over the years I have collected different effects that I think would work.

Here's my current list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0K4qDiD-W0
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
256 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Hi
One thing to keep in mind about blind people is that relatively few are blind in the sense that they cannot see anything at all. Many if not most blind people have some degree of residual vision and many have what’s called low vision. Maybe they can’t see details but can make out shapes and colours. Maybe they have no central vision but can see peripherally or the opposite might be the case. Maybe they can’t see in the dark or in dim light but can see in the daylight. Maybe they can’t see under bright sunlight. Maybe they can’t see colours properly. Likely they have combinations of the aforementioned conditions to varying degrees.

My advice is don’t assume what blind people can or cannot see. The best thing to do is ask them. With a bit of understanding and adjustments you might be surprised at what kind of tricks you can do for them
mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
Juan Tamariz has famously done tricks guided over the radio (often card tricks). He just released a tutorial book on these tricks this year. These may be things you could talk a blind person through because they happen for you right in your own hands. While I'm not particularly familiar with the tricks, check them out. Using braille cards they could do the tricks in their own hands per the instructions.

There are a wide variety of these tricks out there. Both from him and other people.

Penn and Teller have done a couple as well.

I wish I could tell you the names. I'm just not very focused on these in my own stuff, but it may be a good way to go.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1140 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Highly recommended!

Coin Casket
Airship Magic
https://airshipmagic.com/store/home/139-......ket.html

A spectator places a coin inside a brass container.
The magician instantly knows if that coin is heads or tails side up.

Truly incredible.
No-one will EVER discover the secret.
This can be handled by anyone, and they will not find the secret.
This uses no electronics of any kind.
The magician does not have to see the coin casket which is placed in their hands.
Yet they immediately know which is heads or tails.

A complete mystery.
Osyris706
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Osyris706
I would think most propless mentalism would work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Tricks for the Blind? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL