The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Hyrum vs. Glorpy (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24011 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Is there any advantages one have over the other? Do they have the same manufacture?
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1252 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
They are the same thing. You can find better quality glorpys around. Eugene Burger sells what I have heard are good quality glorpys, but I have heard they are smaller than the usual and they cost $30.

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Namzyr
View Profile
New user
Northern New Jersey
53 Posts

Profile of Namzyr
Okay, I'm lost.

Anybody care to tell me what a glorpy or hyrum is?
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
441 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
I own Hyrum, it has stood the test of time and I still perform with it to this day.

Namzyr--Both Hyrum and Glorpy are Silk Handkerchiefs. Casually shown on both sides, then a story about a special Ghost is told--As if by unseen forces, the Ghost comes to life inside these Silks. Each will perform some spooktacular effects. Then, just as quickly as the Ghostly apparitions manifest themselves, the silks are shaken free of this whimsical Spirit. Again the Silks are shown on both sides--And the Ghost has vanished.....There is a very comical kicker at the very end, however I won't spoil it here. Usually each of these can be purchased for under 15.00 dollars, sometimes even less. Check either online at one of the fine sponsors here at the Café, or check your local Magic Store. Hope that helps!!
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Namzyr
View Profile
New user
Northern New Jersey
53 Posts

Profile of Namzyr
Wait! Flashback! Oh wooowwww!

Yes, I know what a hyrum is- I own one!

It was one of the first effects I purchased, and it was actually made from a cloth bandana-looking thing.

Although I don't think it was ever called that.

As a matter of fact, I was going through the old stuff just the other day, and wondered if I'd ever use this again ...

Thanks!
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I would make my judgement only based upon the pattern or quality of the handkerchief...whichever one you like best. If in fact you see them side by side and get a choice. Otherwise, I would not worry either way.

quack
bobdomeros
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of bobdomeros
Does anyone know a source for instructions on making a Hyrum or Glorpy? I'd like to have one made with a certain kind of fabric, and have a duplicate non-gimmicked one for another effect.

I guess I could always buy one, take it apart and make another. (ReverseEngineeringMagic.com?)

Are there any sources for magic seamstresses who could make these and similar props, besides going to someone like Owens?
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Geesh. Buy one, take the gimmick out and put it in a piece of fabric you like. When you see the apparatus , you are gonna realize you do not need to hire anyone to make this up. Someone who had never sewn a stitch could make this if he or she had a hanky that was seamed to start. Frankly, I would go to a dealer and pick through the glorpys and hyrums till I found a silk I liked and then forget it. Many of these effects are made of very pretty hanks. If you do not live near a dealer, then call some dealer (probably not one of the big ones), but chazpro, Daytona or one of those guys. Tell them you want a red one, a blue one, a green one... give some preferences and they will probably be able to pick one you will like.
quack

quack
DrDale
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DrDale
I have had several of these in both varieties, and other than liking one silk better than the other, they are all the same
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have a couple of the hyrums and I never liked them due to the stupid paisley pattern.
It doesn't really fit my persona anyways.
Daniel Faith
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20487 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I have a post in "Innovative Glorpy" that addresses most of what has been discussed here. I was not personally as hapy with the gimmicks in Hyrum as I was with the ones in Glorpy. There are other brands out there too. I still vote for Glorpy. None have had consistant patterns for silks, that I can tell, since the 1970s when I started using them. They used whatever scarves were currently available. You can too!

In fact, why not match Glorpy to a dove harness and produce a dove from him after his regular routine?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
I got Hyrum for my six year old who is getting into magic. He actually kills with it...It's a neat little trick. Made me think for a sec why I spent $200 on the Thing Platinum Edition but you can't really compare the two.

Still, for a fraction of the price, it's a great effect.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of malaki
Here in Oklahoma, the only version I have ever seen available since the 1970s has been Hyrum.
The only problem with Hyrum is they have continued to use the same, nasty looking, red and green paisley "silk" <polyester> for ever.

I simply buy the Hyrum, remove the gimmick and insert it into a good looking silk. It takes a bit of time and patience, but your newer, better looking Hyrum is ready. With a bit of care, it will last for years.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21183 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The last patch of Hyrum at the local magic shop was terrible. The gimmick was bent in the wrong direction. Glorpy is no longer made by Madblood creations. Copies I have seen are not up to the original product.

Only draw back with this effect, you need a large table that is clean. It is fun to perform and gets great spectator reaction.

How many use the blow gag?
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of malaki
Halloween is on it's way, when my Hyrum gets it's biggest workout of the year. It works quite well in low light, and looks very creepy when properly played.

I don't use the blow gag, for we already have too much wind in Oklahoma, I feel no need to add to that situation...... ; )

I instead talk of how, "...during this time of the year, the veil between the worlds is at it's thinnest. The spirits tend to roam free... at times they can even penetrate that veil."

My favorite bit is to incrementally "control" the rise of the spirit with my hand gestures, then, after smoothing it down again, end the routine by allowing it to leap completely off of the table, into the air. If you get the right momentum with the gimmick, it can leap up to a couple of feet. Played correctly, it looks as though it was all you could do to catch it before it flew away.

I have literally had people run away, screaming, kids dropping their candy, the entire nine yards!

By the gods... I love Halloween! I haunt my own house, and I laugh more on this night than any other night of the year! ; ) At what other time of the year do you get to go out and scare the h3ll out of the neighbors w/o worrying about having to talk to the cops?

PS
I have a "Boo Box" planned for this year!

PPS
So how do you present your Hyrum/Glorpy?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2757 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Spellbinder came up with 20 variations on the Hyrum/Glorpy business that he simply calls "Hank, the Ghost Hank" all contained in The Wizards' Journal #16.

Gimmicks:
Ghost Hank 1 –Spellbinder’s variation #1
Ghost Hank 2 – Spellbinder’s variation #2
Ghost Hank 3 – Impromptu
Ghost Hank 4 – Invisible Gimmick
Ghost Hank 5 – Superball Gimmick
Ghost Hank 6 – Magnetic Gimmick
Ghost Hank 7 – Long Gimmick
Routines:
Ghost Hank 8 – Flapping Fairy
Ghost Hank 9 – Leprechaun's Irish Whiskey
Ghost Hank 10 – Pompom Critters with Ghost Hank
Ghost Hank 11 – Abominable Snowman Ghost Hank
Ghost Hank 12 – Ghost Hank and Matching Necktie
Ghost Hank 13 – Ghost Hank D’Lite
Ghost Hank 14 – Ghost Hank Easter Eggs
Ghost Hank 15 – Ghost Hank Candy Kisses from Cupid
Ghost Hank 16 – Ghost Hank Goo
Ghost Hank 17 – Live White Mice or Hamsters with Ghost Hank
Ghost Hank 18 – Ghost Hank Flea Circus
Ghost Hank 19 – Ghost Claus
Ghost Hank 20 – Halloween Hauntings
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1517 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I have both a Glorpy and a Hyrum.
I prefer the Glorpy but they both work fine.
Has anyone ever tried putting a business card in the Glorpy and making it rise?
I’m in Phoenix now but will try it when I get home
Ihor
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21183 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There use to be a 2 part gimmick, by George Blake (as I remember) sold through the defunct Supreme magic back in the 1960's. It could then twist and make more movements and raise the silk in different ways. It came on a real magicians silk. I did not care for it that much. But it was different and worth mentioning.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21183 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2018, Ihop wrote:
Has anyone ever tried putting a business card in the Glorpy and making it rise?

The original Glorpy instrctuons came with a small one inch square white card, there was a line drawing of a simple ghost figure. The performer dropped the card in the center of the cloth as the folds were being made.

No reason you could not palm your business card and drop it, as you were folding an end over to use for cover. Just some good timing is all it would take.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention that the fold is slightly different between Glorpy and Hyram instructions. I like Glorpy's better.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Hyrum vs. Glorpy (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL