The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The fear returns. Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Ive been getting a fear of performing again. I've had a payed gig in the past, and I did fine and had a rush. But lately I've been wanting to go practice magic in public but get scared? How do I overcome this fear? Any tips ? I even travelled to a far away town to see if that would ease the fear (not knowing anyone). But keep chickening out lol. Help please
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
There are some things you just have to walk through. You’ve already experienced this. I get “the willies” every time I know I’m going on, but I also know that as soon as I open my mouth, everything I’ve practiced and worked so hard on will come right into step.

Thinking about it is always worse than doing it.

Consider just a few simple questions.
  • Have you practiced it?
  • Can you perform it in practice with no mistake?
  • Do you know what you’re going to say?
  • Do you have a routine with a beginning, middle and end (even if it’s rudimentary at this time)?
Those are the mechanics.

Now just to get your head in the right place.
  • Do people (at least usually) enjoy what you do?
  • Do they laugh or gasp or (fill in the reaction you’re going for) when they see you work?
  • It is about them, and not about you?
  • When it’s over, do they generally seem like they enjoyed their time with you?
This is what you focus on.

See? You already know this. Now just step into it. Thinking too much about it only increases the anxiety. If you know what you want to do, then it’s time to stop thinking and start doing!

You already know by your second trick, you’ll be getting into it and having a good time yourself. Just get to that second trick! Smile

Go get ‘em!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1419 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Great advice from DW Rackley. Just don't try to do your second trick first. Fear is simply an emotion. It is neither right or wrong... it just is. An acronym for fear is False Emotions Appearing Real. Fear is only a feeling. You've performed before. You'll get through this.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Thanks DW- great advice.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Fear puts the focus on you. Perhaps you can find some place to perform that takes the focus off of you and puts it on the audience. A retirement home, the kid's ward at the hospital, a shelter home - some place where the people need the diversion your magic brings more than you need to perform. Let yourself be drawn into their world, and work to put a smile on their face because _they_ need it, not you.

Ed
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
For me, I get nervous every single time I am about to perform. Every time; it never fails. How do I overcome it? Easy--turn my fear into positive energy that likewise helps me perform even better.

Now, don't ask me how I do it--I just do.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
It helps to think of your anxiety as excitement, rather than fear. Make feeling nervous positive instead of negative. Most performers I know have stage fright when they first go on, then after telling a joke or two the anxiety goes away. Be excited about performing, not being fearful.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Owen
You have initiated a most encouraging and relevant discussion.
The above suggestions and insights are all worth considering as they all make sense and have been proven to help both in theory and in practice.
For many yeras I have lived with recurring anxiety and depresssion and find that the above insights make sense for me. I also enjoy performing magic.
I partcularly like the perspective of Mr Spartacus - recognising the link between anxiety and excitement.
I hope that you are able to enjoy the excitement of performing your magic.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 18:32, spartacus wrote:
It helps to think of your anxiety as excitement, rather than fear. Make feeling nervous positive instead of negative. Most performers I know have stage fright when they first go on, then after telling a joke or two the anxiety goes away. Be excited about performing, not being fearful.

Right, that basically is what I was talking about except spartacus explained it a little bit better. Nervousness is a god thing for me because it keeps me on my toes. It makes me quick to think. When I'm not quick-thinking, I make more mistakes.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Lots of good advice here.

I would add that it is important to develop a personal connection with your audience if you can. I always start out with a story or asking people about who they are, where they come from and what they do. This seems to relax me and make me feel we are just all friends having fun.

Secondly, it is important to me to have fun. That is why I do it. So, I remind myself of why I am there and try to get in an upbeat mood.

Third, I NEVER do anything difficult first off. Pick something that is self-working, with no complex steps to remember. I also always use a spec, again to make me relax and feel connected to the group. One of my best relaxers is a Rocky Raccoon type of routine. It is engaging, funny, connecting and easy to do. This settles me down, and gives me the confidence to move toward more challenging effects later.

Lastly, if you are not busking, try it. Many times I set up on the street and at first no one notices. Then I just start doing my routine as if I had an audience. First thing you know, one or two come around. I feel way more confident with a smaller group, so I continue and the group gets slowly larger. By then you are fully into your set and don't notice or care. You are just DOING and having fun...

Hope this helps a bit. We all go thru it from time to time and, as said above, you can use it to do a better performance. Learn to control it and not let it control you...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Being nervous is completely natural, I still get paranoid right before every single show that I perform, its like going swimming, You can try to ease your way into the pool even though the water is cold, or you can just jump in and get use to it. I am a jump in kind of guy, Just do it. You will see that after your first effect, and those spectators are trying to wrap their head around what just happened, those butterflies are gone, and you are now in the zone, almost as if nothing can stop you.

This feeling is a rush that we get, it’s a natural high, yes it can be super addicting, but its so much cheaper than crystal meth.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Lots of really good advice hear. Thanks to all for contributing. In my regular job I do a great deal of public speaking, and I am somewhat of an expert in what I am presenting. Nonetheless, I too get a twinge of stage fright at the beginning of every job. I like what the above posters said about False Emotions Appearing Real and thinking of those nervous feelings as excitement instead. I also remember what an acting teacher told me years ago. "If you aren't a little nervous, it probably means you just don't care, and that's not fair to your audience."
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Very helpful. Thank you
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
You know what in a funny sense I am in a similar position...here is the situation and here is how I am handling it...

I have decided to start busking. Just to add spice my first (OK second if you include an underwhelming airport experience) will be in a non English speaking country (as a first language) and where it is very possible I will have lost my voice.....so no challenge there then. So what am I doing to encourage myself to bite the bullet and do it?

First....I am telling lots of people I am going to be doing it (weather permitting). This adds the pressure to get out and perform and I know that when I am there I will enjoy myself (probably). I also know I don't want to come back and say "I bottled it" and didn't perform.

Second....I view a bad performance not as a failure but as a learning opportunity. In my performance career I expect to have several things go wrong. They will only be failures if I fail to learn from them.

So I am pressuring myself to go out. I realise I may bomb. Bombing is part of becoming a star.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Danny
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Several people recommend keeping a journal of your performances, especially in the beginning years. Perhaps that would help.

You could note the type of performance and the shape, size and color of your fear. Do you fear because of the type of tricks or performance? Do you fear because you're not solid on some routines? Is it general "OMG- people are watching!!" anxiety? After a while, you will begin to notice some patterns and perhaps work out some solutions.

Ed
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Read "Watch My Back" by Geoff Thompson.

All the advice here is great, but you want to know what it all boils down to? Face you fear and learn how to use it. Or, don't and don't. Simple as that. In the end you can do all the prep and all the other stuff, but at some point you have to open the closet and see just how hairy the monster inside is?

In most cases the 'fear' that comes with doing magic amounts to this: I don't want to look stupid, silly, foolish. I don't want to blow the trick. Think of it this way: What's the worst thing that REALLY can happen if you blow a magic trick. Let's say you blow it so bad that you actually give the secret away....a very, VERY rare screw up by the way. 99.5% of all screw ups only have the result of failing to complete the trick. Almost never is the secret being exposed involved.

So you blow the trick. So what. Consider this reality check: You screw up trick....how many children died world wide because of it? Is it like the butterfly thing. It wiggles it wings and a hurricane wipes out New Orleans? Magicians you screw up magic tricks are the cause of the most of the worlds poverty? You see it's a 'silly' fear. I know. I've had the fear. Still do to an extent, but that's why you have to see it's a silly fear. You won't die. And, if your ego is so bruised that you can't blow a magic trick and come back....seriously and I mean this kindly: Get help from a professional. Think folks will make fun of you? Make fun of yourself first. Jump the freaking gun...get there before they do. Make a wry face and say..."Sheesh...I REALLY blew that one!" The worst they can do it agree and then they have no bloody place to go mate.

I don't like messing up a trick. I've been nervous before every show I've ever done. REALLY nervous. All I had to do was get through the first trick. That's my ...well...'trick.' I get through that and the performing high just carries me to the end.

Get yourself a trick that YOU can do every freaking time no matter how nervous you are. A good, solid, not too difficult trick. My stand up show started with 6 Card Repeat or a simple 3 part rope routine.

Close-up...pick a trick you KNOW you can do drunk or scared silly. Go for it.

Good luck,
Brad Burt
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
I have PTSD and Anxiety disorder...I'm also one of the top demo guys around town. How do I put on my big boy shorts and get er done? I just talk to the folks. Straight up ask if they want to see magic. If so then I start with my favorite effects and some I'm working on. This way comfortability is established between us. If they decline then I tell them have a nice day. Also, take mental and physical notes of how different routines and ideas work on different demographics. Make it a sociological experiment. Have fun. Don't worry about failure, imagine the pen thru gimmick shooting across the room as you show pen thru dollar to a shop full of folks. It happens man, just pick up and continue on. Interaction between strangers becomes familiar to you after about a week of non stop performance. Then you have to watch yourself as you become the talker that people have to pay attention to because what you are presenting is powerful magic. A pre performance ritual may help to establish a regimen that makes it more comfortable to be in strange situations. The ritual is kind of like a child's blanket...where ever you go you have the element of familiarity. This is how I get over stage fright man. Like Nike says, Just Do It! Who cares if you make a mistake, you aren't the leader of the free world so You are allowed a screw up here or there.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
This is good stuff. Although I enjoy doing magic, and although I do public speaking for a living, I still find that my hands tremble every time I do magic ... I'm confident that this will eventually go with time and practice, though. The more I do the better I be one, and this advice on here is invaluable to new performers like myself. Thanks Owen for starting a useful discussion Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2012-06-18 13:25, munkywrench wrote:
I have PTSD and Anxiety disorder...I'm also one of the top demo guys around town. How do I put on my big boy shorts and get er done? I just talk to the folks. Straight up ask if they want to see magic. If so then I start with my favorite effects and some I'm working on. This way comfortability is established between us. If they decline then I tell them have a nice day. Also, take mental and physical notes of how different routines and ideas work on different demographics. Make it a sociological experiment. Have fun. Don't worry about failure, imagine the pen thru gimmick shooting across the room as you show pen thru dollar to a shop full of folks. It happens man, just pick up and continue on. Interaction between strangers becomes familiar to you after about a week of non stop performance. Then you have to watch yourself as you become the talker that people have to pay attention to because what you are presenting is powerful magic. A pre performance ritual may help to establish a regimen that makes it more comfortable to be in strange situations. The ritual is kind of like a child's blanket...where ever you go you have the element of familiarity. This is how I get over stage fright man. Like Nike says, Just Do It! Who cares if you make a mistake, you aren't the leader of the free world so You are allowed a screw up here or there.

+100. Best post of the whole series. Just do it, and say, Thanks for the clap Smile
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
I would suggest you join Toastmasters, just do their program and not magic, and by the time you are a CTM (10 speeches) you will be set for life.

Gil Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The fear returns. Help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL