The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » A LOT of mousetraps. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
I havent asked. Maybe ill get more. Its my first tv show, so I'm happy to just be there. Going from a childrens magician in the middle of montana to a natinal tv show? Ill take it...
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
I've talked to them... good luck getting anything.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Free is a Bad precedence to start, on any level...applause without financial backing is just applause...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

But what about free publicity? Being on national tv is a big deal in little mt...
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Oh yeah, it is. Heck, if I could get in on this I would do it in a heartbeat.

However, I'm still a young up and coming and I lack the experience and knowledge of some of those posting.

(Also, Stephon: You are most welcome. However, if you were asking about anti-inflammatory drugs and blood thinning because of an underlying condition or malady of yours, it would be best to check with your healthcare provider before beginning dosing with them. You know, just for safety and all.)
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
I have never performed any intentional injurious act...much less for Free, Although I have broken limbs performing... How many folks in Montana watch Tru?, How many folks in Montana that will watch will Hire you because of it? Bottom line is if you feel it is worth it, Go for it...Free became just another four letter word early on in my Career...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
The one time I had a horrible rip on stage was during a free show for "publicity". I have heard of Tru, never watched it. Kameron, you need an agent. The Guinness Show you're referring to contacted me about a year ago, their offer was paltry. My agent got them to a bid of $3,000 + expenses. I turned it down as I was already booked for Italy. The GWR company is owned by HIT entertainment (think Muppets). They have LOTS of money. The way they keep having lots of money is by not spending it. It is standard practice for them to NOT pay anyone who appears in their books. I am one of the few people who Guinness ACTUALLY paid to be in the book. They sent out a camera crew to my house and pulled a full out photo shoot with a famous British photographer and I got a nice check to boot. I won't disclose HOW much, but I will tell you that had I not had my agent involved, I would have gotten the "free publicity" everyone here seems to love talking about so much.

Kam, if you do end up doing this attempt, make sure you bring a hat to pass around.... you'll need it for the doctor visit bill, lost wages, food, etc. This trip may cost you more than you stand to earn. That's my two bucks.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
As far as I know, there is little you can do to "prepare" for the act beyond figuring out the layout of the traps and how you are going to grab them. There is really nothing you can do to lessen the damage to your tongue.
I did 19 in one minute setting the initial record. I actually did 26 quickly because I did not hear the timer end the session.
My tongue swelled up to about an inch an a half thick and turned black.
Sweet Pepper started bleeding at 27 the first time he tried it.
It was two days before I could talk normally, a week before the bruising went from purple to a normal tongue color and I have a scar across my tongue from the impacts of that day. The edge of my tongue has a slightly scalloped edge.
I still do a lot with mousetraps but will no longer do more then 6 tongue snaps a day. I try to keep it at three or less.
Be careful, watch your teeth and be prepared for some real pain. It is hard to describe a fully bruised tongue. It is quite unique.
Oh...and until the swelling goes down, everything will taste like blood. This is because of all the broken vessels in the tongue...Tastebuds taste things inside your tongue as well.
Best of luck.
Gwyd
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
These Guinness Shows typically aren't funded by the Guinness World Records company itself. In fact it is quite the opposite. A network or TV entity decides they want to have a Guinness show and then they pay GWR for licensing rights as well as the costs of the adjudicators. Having said that, trutv has the money but good luck getting them to fork it out. Gwyd was the first person to hold/break the record as far as I know, his insight should be like gold for you.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-19 14:01, erikkloeker wrote:
trutv has the money but good luck getting them to fork it out.

This is where having a manager and an agent come into play. This separates the boys from the men so-to-speak. A performer has NO leverage whatsoever when it comes to compensatory negotiations. I have no skill in that field, my agent DOES however. He also has, lemme see.... 5 decades in the biz with LOTS of leverage. I never worry about having a vendor fork out the money, that's HIS job. MY job is my act, and that's all I need to focus on. That's what makes you a professional.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Gwyds words have been going through my head as soon as I read them.

The way I see it, last year I was wanting to go full time magic/side show. I was working a part time job and hating it. Now I am doing ONLY magic/side show, just got an offer to appear on TV, and just last night got found on a radio show in Boston and they are calling me for an interview tomorrow. I am in talks to fly to Ohio for the highest paying job I have ever got. What I'm saying is, I was expecting to just do kids shows my whole life. To go from working at a subway part time to being on TV and radio is amazing to me. Once this is done and if all goes better, THEN I'll get an agent. Im not expecting the world from this appearance, I want a cool story and a free trip. This is my first huge deal kinda thing for me. It's a step towards something. I'll worry about agents and stuff later. This doesn't seem like the type of thing where I negotiate for thousands. It's the type of thing where if I start to barter, they will just say "never mind"...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Agents only want you, when yo don't need them.

Congratulations! You're never done paying your dues, but you'll get to go some interesting places along the road!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

If anyone is still reading this thread, the mouse trap gig fell through. I got the biggest gig I have ever had so far and I had to take it... SO there you go... money won over free publicity...
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Now THAT'S the best decision you've made so far. kudos to you, man! That higher paying gig just gave you a pay raise, keep it up and you will succeed beyond your imagination.
Zagam
View Profile
New user
Silver Spring, Maryland
64 Posts

Profile of Zagam
Sounds like a winner. Do the mousetraps on your terms sometime later. Promote it yourself and get all the money. Fortune and glory kid, fortune and glory.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » A LOT of mousetraps. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL