The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Matrix effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I think from a lay-person’s perspective, "Shadow-coins" would have to be one of the best. No cards, only a handful of coins. If you do it the way Michael teaches it, it gets a great response.

I have my own presentation, but do use his patter. What follows is what I love to see when I’m finished. Smile
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
KirbyC
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
8 Posts

Profile of KirbyC
Well David, and I guess everyone else, I wasn't talking about Knihc-a-Knihc.

I was refering to "Top Billing", the effect using bills instead.

Really, it's a pretty basic matrix, but it has a nice ending and the bills are logical.

Smile
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
I think that you all should check out Jim Paces matrix routine on his Restaurant Workers tape, "Trick from my Lecture" It is awesome, and very difficult. It has a great matrix flow with a KILLER ending! Check it out.

ouT.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I found that a good matrix effect is good as gold if done correctly. The ones that I feel have class and a punch are

1. Ammar’s two card matrix

2. David Neighbors’s "Slow Motion Matrix"

3. Robert Bengel’s "Bill Matrix & Solid

Gold Matrix Smile

Posted: Nov 20, 2001 7:00am
I am new to the Café, and was just looking around. I was happy to see your name. I used to live in Colorado, Springs. I used to visit the magic shop there. Ken Simmons ran it back then. It has been a few years since I’ve been there.

I was wondering if you ever got around to putting together all your books into a large one? I have a few of your books and love them all.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4835 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi,

The Hard Bound should be out sometime next year hopefully. The last edit is being done right now. It will have 8 updates from the past notes. The rest will all be new stuff.

Thanks for asking. I now have A web site it’s

http://www.coinjurer.com

If you ever get back to Denver let me know thanks.

Best David Neighbors

The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Michael Ammar’s Shadow Coins is the greatest effect that I can think of today concerning matrix illusions. Its so easy to do also! Smile Smile Smile
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
John Kennedy’s "Impossible Matrix" is absolutely fabulous. It involves the use of a simple yet diabolical gimmick that truly makes the effect look impossible. And if you use Kennedy’s routine, you end absolutely clean.
I also agree that Shadow Coins is great because it is so visual.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I Love matrix effects and I have even come up with a few crazy ones of my own. I really like using just 2 cards cause it’s just fun to be doing all that dirty work. And I love doing matrix effects with my hands and no cards cause you can be caught without your cards or your coins one day and it’s not a big deal to borrow for quarters, pennies or nickels from a person and you go about your business with thier coins and no cards. Dean Dill has a pretty cool effect called no extras that I do all the time. It’s on his first video called Intimate Miracles. Dean is a matrix freak! Check out his stuff.

http://www.deandill.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have several matrix routines with different kickers in my book, "Great Scott! It's Coin Magic!"
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Well, I love Chink-a-Chink type effects too!!

I love all coin magic. Have you guys hugged your coins today?
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Rune Klan is a Danish magician who works wonders with coins. On his 1st video he does a matrix with 3 coins. It is absolutely the most clean and visual matrix you will ever see! (I think anyway). I do it if the situation is right. I also do my own version that uses an offbeat principle (not gimmick!) to move the coins. It can be performed surrounded and with people burning your hands. It is a 'knack' thing. But it will fry anyone who sees it.

Chad
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1630 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Hi guys,

I don’t know how many of you are in the L.A. area but if you are and you really like Matrix style or Shadow Coin routines, then there’s a guy you should probably watch. His name is Luis Solorzano. It’s the way that he gets the coins into proper position to be moved around magically that is what is interesting. It will most definitely take you to the cleaners. Luis showed Dean’s matrix to Dean Dill and and even Dean was taken in. He hangs at the Castle. Check him out!

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
Personally, I think the original is still the best. Lots of great versions out there to do for other magicians, but the original has it all for lay people. Short, sweet, clean, and to the point.

Watching Al Schneider do it is like watching real magic.
Never ask a dog to watch your food.
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
576 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
Brother magi,
Here is an easy challenge for you.

Try to develope a matrix with one card.

Card is placed face down on the table.

On the table are seen gold half dollars. Magi picks up one of these and in a waving gesture towards the face down card, the coin vanishes from his hand and appears under the card.

This is repeated 3 more times and all this is done with one hand.

For a finale, the left hand slowly removes the card showing the final 4 card appearance and replaces the card under the 4 gold half dollars.

Magi asks the spects if they would like to see how it is done.

He slowly removes the card from underneath the coins and a silver dollar has appeared from "nowhere".

It is a thing of beauty to watch in slow motion.

I just combined moves from a lot of magicians and added one of mine for the final load.

Looks like real magic, which is why I really like it.
Tom
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Another matrix effect that I like is the Two card reverse matrix. That one really hits people upside the head.
Check it out on the third volume of Michael Rubenstein's Knockout Coin Magic Video.
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Al Schneider's original routine. If you have access to the March (?) 2001 edition of Genii, please go back and study his handling. I believe you will find, as I did, that what I was performing was far from what was intended...
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5331 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
What a wonderful list of Matrix effects. I am familiar with most of the routines noted here. I remember the first time I saw Al Schneider perform the Matrix and thinking how beautiful and simple to follow it was. I especially like Paul Cummings version using borrowed bills as the cover (the version I tend to perform the most).

One worker not mentioned so far is David Neighbors. He has published a couple of nice variations on the Matrix theme. One is actually very direct, very magical, and routined for people with small hands (too small for a clip or matrix steal). I taught it to my 8-year-old godson to good results.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Thirty years ago, coin matrix was THE trick that every magician did.
But even then it bothered me:
What was this supposed to mean?
Why are the coins laid out in a square?
So I came up with the coins in a diamond shape and adapted the patter from the classic Abbott and Costello routine Who's On First?
It appeared in my second One-Man Parade in the Linking Ring magazine of August, 1968 (the one with a MUCH younger me on the cover).
I still think it's an effective routine (he said modestly); it plays equally well for magicians and lay people; and there is some logic in why you are doing it (rather than just a 'look what I can do and you can't' sort of thing).
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Matt
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Matt
In regard to meaning . . .

Greg Webb (I think) put a matrix routine on allmagic.com that used bottle caps instead of coins. I thought it would be fun to do something along the lines of this, this is how (I'll pick on Peter) Canadians teach their kids to count, introducing the cards and some Moosehead bottle caps. Then things get confusing, as they generally do after too many Moosehead. I never really worked it up, but it's been in the back of my mind/notebook.

Matt
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
Actually, Fredrick, I did mention it three posts before yours Smile

I agree with you one hundred percent.

Scott
Never ask a dog to watch your food.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Matrix effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL