The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Matrix effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
For the benefit of the non-Canadians here, in Matt's post "Moosehead" is a brand of beer in Canada.
In the U.S., I believe, it is a felony.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
My personal favorite is Bob Kohler's reverse matrix from Impossibilia. It uses only four ungaffed coins and two cards. It is definitely a money trick and in addition to frying people, has earned me numerous tips.
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Quote:
On 2002-02-09 21:09, spfranz wrote:
Actually, Fredrick, I did mention it three posts before yours Smile

I agree with you one hundred percent.

Scott

Scott,

Apologies, I must have been scrolling faster than my eyes can read. Thanks for the 2nd!

Smile

------
While on the list of matrix effects, there is the reverse matrix theme. I believe started by Paul Gertner, then amplified by others. There is four coin version in CoinMagic.

Another worth considering is the All-American Matrix in CoinMagic. It uses four different coins.

Peter's question is interesting. What is the theme or frame for the effect? For me, it is one of the only silent close-up effects I perform. I shut up and let the magic happen...
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3842 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
You might want to check out my Quadra coin reverse matrix from my original videotape series made in 1985 in West Germany (the series that predates the L&L re-release). This is a much cleaner handling, and can even be done with a penny, nickle, dime, quarter, and 4 business cards! I perform it as an "observation test" in my show, using 4 different half dollar sized coins. The routine is also written up in my fourth set of lecture notes. - Michael Rubinstein
First edition sold out in RECORD TIME, and the supplies of the reprint are dwindling fast! but don't despair, they are still around at dealers everywhere!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!! ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
My personal favorite Matrix is by Dean Dill,
no extra coins, and can be incorperated to a backfire or standard matrix... Very easy and very clean....I have never been called on the method.. However, I have not seen many of the Matrix effects mentioned in previous posts here, Maybe I need to check those out.
take care
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I finally mastered Rubenstein's Two Card Reverse Matrix, what other reverse matrix effects exist?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have a couple in my book, Great Scott! It's Coin Magic!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1564 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Daryl does a pretty standard matrix routine on Coin Classics Vol.1 from Steven's Magic. I like his get ahead method better than the one I use and he has some nice subtleties for showing the fronts and backs of the cards.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1874 Posts

Profile of Platt
I've messed with a lot different routines, including Daryl's, Columbini's, and Dean Dill's, but always go back to the very, very basic routine. Does anyone know the name(and inventor) of the middle finger/thumb move to get ahead? It was the first Matrix move I learned and I always assumed it was the most common method of getting ahead. Is it?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
968 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
To Coolmoney84:

David Williamson has a Reverse Matrix routine in the book "The Magic of Michael Ammar." I believe it is simply called just that, "Reverse Matrix." Hope this helps!

Smile
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6244 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Okay, for some killer routines in Matrix you have to check out my friend Shoot Ogawa. He will be performing this weekend at the convention in Miami and then in two weeks at the convention in Minnesota. He does over a dozen variations. Including a one handed, two card version with a kickback. And recently he has added a double matrix: eight coins, four cards, and doing four coins at a time, simultaneously, with each hand... and a surprise ending. Some time in the summer we will be working on putting together several videos on his routines. The videos will include subjects such as Matrixes, Resets, Purse Frame, Coins Across, & Rope routines... he has dozens of variations on all the above.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Yep, Matrix, in the right circumstances, is a very magical effect. I did several versions of Schneider, Williamson and even tried Gertner, until I saw Dean Dill's Coinmagic 2000. Don't know if it's the style, the routine or the passion...probably all of it but Dean does Real Magic!
Now I like to "jazz" with all of his routines along with some ideas of my own.

...And then Dean introduced me to Armando Lucero in Vegas.
Incredible his name did not pop up yet. He might be kinda underground but watch this man!
He kicked my ... along with Paul Harris', tommy Wonder's and Vanni Bossi's! Smile Smile Smile
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Dan,

Allan Ackerman wrote the following in the August 2001 issue of "MAGIC":

"Armando Lucero is one of the best close-up magicians I have ever seen."

High praise from someone who has seen many close-up magicians over the years.
"One arrow. One life."
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Platt,
Are you referring to the Al Schneider/Derek Dingle pickup move?
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
MattSedlak
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of MattSedlak
Four Coins In The Countin' from Dingle's Deceptions is probably the most perfect of the matrix routines I have seen, and I have seen a lot. First, the handling makes it seem impossible that any other coins are being used. Second, it is a very well thought out routine and only needed very minor modifications to fit my style. Third, it has a great kicker ending, the silver dollar really kills them because of the suspicion that you create for the last coin. Not to mention the steal and load is very deceptive. Finally, not only does this routine play well for laymen but it also fools most magicians, who I guess didn't read Dingle's Deceptions because they thought the material was too hard.
marcusone
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of marcusone
Although I have only tried a few matrix effects, i must admit I love John Kennedys impossible matrix. Using just two cards its simple and clean from start to finish. I like being able to show the cards both sides and hands completely empty after each transposition.The gimmick does the work and with some polished handling you are left to concentrate on presentation and entertainment. Suits me !
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Dean Dill has some of the cleanest non gimmick matrix routines around...2 cards or 4 cards...he's the man!!!
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Greg,

Looking forward to your project with Shoot. I've seen him do amazing stuff at Hollywood Magic (a few versions of the matrix, ribbon through 3 Chinese coins--yes only 3 coins).

Regards,
Tony
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Man, oh man...I totally forgot to mention Shoot. This guy is just not human!! He had my brain bleeding when I first saw his matrix routines.

I wasn't drinking that night, but I had to be carried out of the Castle.

He's a super bad mamma jamma!

Guys....just keep your eyes peeled for Shoot's video. It's going to be awesome.

you dig?
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Re: John Bannon’s book "Impossibilia":

Quote:
On 2001-09-24 20:29, Robin Parker wrote:
I dont recommend the book, just some of it’s routines. In all, I dont think the book is very good.

Good one, Robin. Discourage others from reading it so we can keep all those goodies to ourselves.

VERY clever!
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Matrix effects » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL