The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do you perform in English (if you are English speaking) when in non English speaking countries? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Do you perform in English (if you are English as a first language) when in non English speaking countries?

Many thanks,

Danny
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I'm working in Korea right now doing kids shows, and for the current presentation for my one cup routine, some Korean is needed. They just need to understand what it is I'm trying to do, so that when I fail to do it, it's funny.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Danny

In Australia we speak English with a distinctive accent (often referred to as a drawl) so even when I am in other English speaking countries there are language issues.

When in places where english is not the first spoken language I do my best to present my performances using as much local language as possible. I will often make a list of relevent words and phrases and attempt to insert them in ways that make sense for the peformance of the routine.

This has worked well in places like Indonesia and China.

Soon I will be traveling in Europe and am making my list of words and phrases for my busking show and seperate routines with the aid of "Google Translate" and discussions with people that speak the relevant languages.

The other option is to go for the silent act which has proven successful for many people over the years.

A funny story: I perfrom my vesion of John Kaplan's "mind reading Orange" - In Indonesia the word for Orange is "jeruk" - I was performing at a special awards ceremony as part of the independance day celebrations with many government officials etc - in the local island dialect (Nusa Lembogan near Bali)a very simlar word "Jerok" means snot - When I was saying "the orange will read your mind" they were hearing something else - I could not work out why there was so much laughter at this phrase - it was very funny but un planned.

Some unexpected humour - this can be a bonus.

I work on the principle that attempting to speak the local language will comunicate that that I respect my audience and their culture.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Hi Bob,

thank you for your help. My first busk with my first every busky table has now been completed....hurray! Quite enjoyed it actually....at least when I had an audience!

Danny
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-06-19 07:56, troppobob wrote:

A funny story: I perfrom my vesion of John Kaplan's "mind reading Orange" - In Indonesia the word for Orange is "jeruk" - I was performing at a special awards ceremony as part of the independance day celebrations with many government officials etc - in the local island dialect (Nusa Lembogan near Bali)a very simlar word "Jerok" means snot - When I was saying "the orange will read your mind" they were hearing something else - I could not work out why there was so much laughter at this phrase - it was very funny but un planned.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)

That's up there with Thurston (I think) using a magic word that turned out to translate into; "Hey, taxi man!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I've done kid's shows, street magic, and tablehopping in Japan, Germany, Holland, France, Italy, Hong-Kong, and Western-Samoa. (Really nice kids in W.S.!!)

Usually, I learn 10 key words in the language (watch,where-is,help,why-me, etc.) and the rest of what I say is in funny-accented gobbldygook. I use body language to get across the meaning of what I'm saying. Kids find this absolutely HYSTERICAL, and it will even prove funny if you do it for an English-speaking audience! Now France however....they get a little....prickly when you openly speak a foreign toungue, and if you simply babble nonsense like I do, they find that even MORE insulting. So in Paris, I found it was best to--as troppobob suggested--go silent. This worked out fine since the French culture is so heavy with mime!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do you perform in English (if you are English speaking) when in non English speaking countries? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL