The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rsvpmagic presents - 'Carey On' with John Carey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Everyone,

We thought you'd like to see the trailer for one of our upcoming FISM releases, "Carey On" by John Carey.

This is the third and final part of his trilogy following on from his other popular releases "Handle With Carey" & "24Seven". Again the magic and the plots are direct, hard hitting, to the point and technically everything has been streamlined down using John's trademark way of doing things. We think you'll find many routines that you'll all use and we've featured a complete routine on the actual trailer that can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y9r57nZCQE

We hope you like what you see!

Best,
Russ
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
The material on this disc is great. Can't wait to see the finished product!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Hi Guys,

Was a pleasure to put down this new material on dvd recently with R.S.V.P magic. I believe there is truly something for everyone on this new collection which will be released at F.I.S.M on July 9th
A big thank you to Russ and also to Lee Smith for all his assistance with the facilities and help on the teaching and explanations segment of the dvd. All the material uses an ungaffed deck and practicality as usual are the key words here. I will be at F.I.S.M where it will be a pleasure to show you the material.

Here is a table of contents:

1. Ambitious all the way- John's beautiful 4 phase ambitious card with an unexpected finale!

2. Packet stroller- A no nonsense piece of card magic using just a few cards and packed with strong magical moments and a memorable climax!

3. Illogical invisible countdown- One of John's favorite approaches to card at a number. So simple, but so strong.

4. Kollossal Sillier! Mentalism combined with sleight of hand produces a very strong unexpected prediction effect.

5. Opening Salvo- A four of a kind production inspired by Richard Sanders. Minimum work, maximum impact.

6. You have the power!!! A delightful presentation piece which makes the spectator the star.

7. Classical ambitions- John's tribute to Larry Jennings.

8. Summer of 76- A powerful sandwich effect inspired by Alan Ackerman.

9. A trick with no name! Just watch it!!!

10. The Beer glass effect- Another approach to the classic card at a number effect using the Carey approach of minimum work- maximum impact.

11. Bullet snatcher- A short n sweet transformation effect using a great John Bannon idea.

12. Whisper it softly- John's streamlined approach to a Jerry Sadowitz classic.

13. Going for a subway- An action packed approach to the sandwich plot.

14. A little game of true or false- if you like the lie detector plot you will use this.

15. 3 and easy- a hands off divination and discovery of 3 selections using a wonderful Chad Long ruse. Read their tells and their minds!!!

Toolbox section:

The Tommy Tucker pass
2 Frank Thompson false cuts
Hindu bottom control
Erdnase colour change- the correct way to perform this beautiful transformation.
Hofzinzer/ Fechter force
Hofzinzer spread cull
The optical false shuffle.

I also know that Russ has launched a new website at http://www.rsvpmagic.com and as way of celebration, he's offering 15% discount on all products until midnight 21st June and that includes my new DVD. So head on over and snap up a bargain!

Have a great day everyone

Kind regards

John Carey
RichardSand
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
56 Posts

Profile of RichardSand
Yaaaaay, Excellent! Cant wait my dear John. (hug)
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Not long to F.I.S.M and the release date now!!!

John
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
939 Posts

Profile of andykean
I ordered to complete my Carey set
Russ please stop putting such good stuff
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
"The Beer Glass effect" What an excellent name for an ACAAN Smile You've gotta love a good pun!

best
Sean
enigmagik32
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of enigmagik32
John

Been away for a few weeks, so catching up on emails etc, This AGAIN looks looks like fantastic commercial Magic, just seen the trailer (But as you know always loved your work) do you ever sleep Smile

Mark Bendell (the unknown)
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
This will be another excellent release as anything with Johns name on is always top notch.

Just a note- there is a magazine called the VIZ which was put together by someone from the North East of England. Many years ago when David Berglas had a tv series( he has had many I know)he was actually in the Viz but they called him David Beerglas. Anyone familiar with the publication will know it's a satirical type of comic book.

Anyway can't wait for this as it will be full of amazing, workable stuff.

Mike Donoghue
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
This looks great John! I love your magic. I performed the off by 6 miracle from your promo last night. Man does that go over well!

Ryan
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-06-26 07:11, mike donoghue wrote:

...there is a magazine called the VIZ which was put together by someone from the North East of England. Many years ago when David Berglas had a tv series( he has had many I know)he was actually in the Viz but they called him David Beerglas. Anyone familiar with the publication will know it's a satirical type of comic book...

Mike Donoghue

I knew I'd that before somewhere. I used to love Viz when I was a kid. Roger Mellie was brilliant. Good memories Smile

best,
Sean
RichardSand
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
56 Posts

Profile of RichardSand
Eeeyy, I performed the promo trick too! Also got a lovely reaction.
John C and John G have an amazing gift for constructing unreasonably simple but highly effective magic.
I'm very proud to say I'm emulating you more and more.

Thanks for the magic epiphany's.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Ordered and super excited!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Penguin has it in stock:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14541
Billybonkers
View Profile
Loyal user
Diamond Bar L.A
251 Posts

Profile of Billybonkers
I love Handle with carey and 24seven, I've ordered this to complete the set.Big fan on hard hitting straight forward card magic, leaves plenty of room for presentation.

The Beer glass effect and Kollossal Sillier excite me....
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Bought it on Sunday, already has come - amazing.
More info coming soon!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Review of ‘Carey On’ by John Carey
This review is brought to you without bias, as I do not know John and paid for the DVD. I have not performed these effects commercially (only a few to family / friends), so treat this review as a ‘first impression’. Also, all of this is just my own opinion based on my taste in card effects (preference for instant reset, minimal set up or gaffs, in the hands, easy to follow effects).

Production quality – RSVP. Sorry, should I say more? OK then, you get market leading production values, a decent menu and live ‘ish’ performances. To clarify, there are live performances, but to individuals or small groups, who look like they have been invited to participate (filmed at Lee Smith’s residency perhaps?). In other words, no fake reactions, but perhaps the reactions may be stronger if John was with a crowd or at a venue like Illusions.

I won’t comment on John’s performance style, beyond stating that he appears to be a friendly, easy going guy and a more than competent performer. I wouldn’t be buying or not buying a DVD based on the performer’s style (be inspired, don’t copy!), although DVDs like the ‘Usual Suspect’ by Matthew Wright can give lessons on making an effect your own.

Crediting: John appears to have an almost encyclopaedic knowledge, and gives plenty of credits and references.

The explanations: John is a very thorough teacher and Lee works well as a ‘co-host’.

The effects (FASDIU = from a shuffled deck in use):

Ambitious all the way - A short, almost FASDIU-ish ACR with a novel finish (which could then set you up for another effect). This is a nice and easy variation on the ACR, for when you don’t have your CTW, WOW gimmick or hollowed out elephant (what do you mean, you don’t do ‘card to elephant?’).

Packet stroller – An ACR type effect with a small packet of cards. The final revelation of a flush is nice, but I would present the final cards in order (10, J, Q, K, A).

Illogical invisible countdown – A FASDIU card at a spec’s chosen number. This got a nice reaction from the volunteer. I haven’t performed it but I think part of the method may be easy for some to work out. Nice spectator involvement

Kollossal sillier – This one needs a small set up and a couple of stranger cards. This will also need a quick clean up after the effect. Although gaffed, this is a very strong magical effect that is easy to follow and will get a real wow factor. The only reason I wouldn’t use this, is because I already do a strong effect with a single stranger card. I would definitely consider this as an alternative, if I needed one.

Opening salvo – An almost FASDIU four of a kind production with a twist. Nice, quick direct and simple. This would make a great lead in to another effect.

You have the power – An effect where the spec does most of the work. I am not a fan of such effects, although I acknowledge their power. I generally don’t have the right performing conditions / choose not to do them… having said that, this looks to be a powerful effect with building revelations.

Classical ambitious – Many love the Ambitious classic – I don’t. Sorry... A small packet trick that needs a small set up on the pack. This has a nice surprise twist, but I’m still not converted.

The trick with no name – A multiphase, colour changing four of a kind production. A well-constructed effect which builds on each climax. Needs stranger cards. Not my cup of tea though.

Summer of 76 – I seem to remember this from ‘Spotlight on Carey’. An almost FASDIU effect which is a solid and simple ‘working’ sandwich effect.

The beer glass effect – A card at number, which is very direct and a nice effect. This needs a small set-up / prep. John has an interesting presentation for this, with some psychological subtleties.

Bullet snatcher – An almost FASDIU effect. This is an excellent, easy to follow and powerful effect. I would definitely use this if it wasn’t for John’s mystery card effect on 24/7, which I marginally prefer. A top class effect.

Whisper it softly – A nice effect with solid magic which needs a small setup. Strong but not a ‘bruiser’.

Going for a subway – A very quick and direct sandwich effect which needs a small setup. I liked it.

A little game of true or false – A do as I do type effect with a small setup. This may need sober-ish participants and / or solid audience management, but there is a good payoff. The lie detector plot nearly always has a strong hook for specs.

3 and easy – Needs a small setup. Another strong effect which gets a few people involved.

Toolbox section: Detailed instruction on a range of moves. All easily achievable.

Overall:
Pros: Excellent varied working routines which are ideal for the worker or the hobbyist. A lot of FASDIU (or nearly) stuff. Live performances, excellent teaching and a detailed toolbox. Lee Smith adds value to the explanation section and works well with John. Most, if not all can be done without a table, or else adapted.
Constructive cons: I try to give a constructive critique to make the review more valid, but it’s hard to say anything bad about this, especially at the price.

Final thoughts – I was torn between this and ‘Let’s go Dutch’, but went for Carey On in the end. All the material is suitable for a new – intermediate card worker… But I’m not sure I’ll use any of it! I only use 10-15 card effects in my work (or for friends). My ‘problem’ is that of the 3-4 routines that really appealed to me, I prefer other versions, two of which are from John Carey's body of work!! e.g. Gemini Detector is my ‘go to’ Lie detector effect. Don’t take this as a negative - John Carey has a real talent for creating direct hard hitting effects and this is a cracking DVD.

Excellent value, great production, I really would recommend this to any card magic fan.
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
3 and Easy is a great trick.
I felt like Basil Fawlty when he won on the races:"For once in my life I'm ahead!"
Pure baffling card magic...
Then it all came crashing down when the method hit me in the face.
Great stuff, nevertheless.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Great collection of material. I had the privilege of seeing a lot of this material as John was developing it and it's all stuff I would/could use. Simple handlings. Strong effects. Not much more you could ask for.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Thank you to everyone for their kind words re this latest collection.
Have a great weekend everyone

jc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rsvpmagic presents - 'Carey On' with John Carey (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL