The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » On Competition break downs.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I was thinking about this after attending our local ring competition. I was wondering why the IBM is not organized to have competitors come from other competitions.

You see, in other organzations, you can not compete at such levels unless you one prior, smaller compeitions.

Perhaps this is logistically impossible, but why doesn't the big IBM compeition only feature those that have one from Regional or National competitions?

I would of expected that competitions would begin in local rings; then from local rings one person would compete at regional area (as there are regional presidents); then compete at a multi-regional level, and then national. Up until the Big IBM compeition.

Just curious...or is it like that already?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I don't know the answer, but I am guessing the local competition in NY is even greater than that in Kansas City.

We also just had our close up competiton. Did you compete? If so how were the competitors and do you think the judges were fair in seeing and grading your act?

Was it stage or close up competition that you had?

I am looking forward to the 2014 I.B.M & S.A.M combined convention. It will be in Kansas City area.

It was back in 2003 that they had the big I.B.M. convention here. I did not enter the sanctioned contest, but won the strolling comedy division of strolling magic.

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I'm lucky because my home Ring is Ring 35 in Birmingham and we have enough active members at a meeting to actually have a competition. That is simply not available to all IBM members. The annual convention is their only shot at competition. There is nothing to keep a magician that lives in a lighthouse from being competitive. I like the open competitions and I quit competing several decades ago. IBM dues are the same for everyone. Why should the opportunities be any different?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 15:09, Harris wrote:
We also just had our close up competiton. Did you compete?

Yes, this was my first. My new years resolution was to "particiapate" more. So, I attempted one of my walk around pieces that I've have yet to perform to a real audience. This was like litmus test for the magic. Now I have to put more to the routine (i.e. presentation); which, was most of the feed back I received...and I received ideas on that from several folks in the ring...which to me is priceless.
Quote:
If so how were the competitors and do you think the judges were fair in seeing and grading your act?

There were 9 competitors, and I think the judges where pretty much spot on.
Quote:
Was it stage or close up competition that you had?

This is difficult to say and also leaves me indifferent a little bit. This competition is anything as long as you do not do cards or mentalism. So you can do close up, stage, or parlor...it is pretty much open. To me this is very difficult to judge on a level playing grownd and I'd rather much prefer something along the lines as you mentioned above. I would say this is more akin from parlor to stage...
Quote:
I am looking forward to the 2014 I.B.M & S.A.M combined convention. It will be in Kansas City area.

I have yet to attend one of these but plan on doing so sometime in the future. But with that said, I would think such organizations would have a formal structure of competitions and one would have to win at various levels to get to the "Big Convention".
Quote:
It was back in 2003 that they had the big I.B.M. convention here. I did not enter the sanctioned contest, but won the strolling comedy division of strolling magic.

So mainly, it was to test a new routine out and get some flight time amongst my peers. It's vastly different for me when I perform to a audience versus magicians. So now that I have a feel, I'll be back next year with something better if not an enhancement to this routine. Maybe you'll see me at one the big ones.
Congrats btw!!!
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 17:34, Bob Sanders wrote:
I'm lucky because my home Ring is Ring 35 in Birmingham and we have enough active members at a meeting to actually have a competition. That is simply not available to all IBM members. The annual convention is their only shot at competition. There is nothing to keep a magician that lives in a lighthouse from being competitive. I like the open competitions and I quit competing several decades ago. IBM dues are the same for everyone. Why should the opportunities be any different?

Ah, good point.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
We also have an active ring. We have a great mix of collectors, stage, strolling, parlor and true close up magicians. Our contest are stage and close up.

This year at the close up contest I chose not to create a competition act, but to include things (include silly bits) that I do for "lay folks".

It was a mix of killer sleight of hand, self revelation(monologue),simple magic and use of my other love music.(I opened and closed with Ode to joy played on my harmonica) Thanks to a wonderful mentor I also used a magical tie in to finish. At the beginning I told the joke of going from un even sideburns to un even spots on my balding head. The Bic razor at the beginning morphed into an electric one at the end.

Oh what fun it will be to have the big convention back in the KC area in a couple of years.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-20 19:07, solrak29 wrote:
I was thinking about this after attending our local ring competition. I was wondering why the IBM is not organized to have competitors come from other competitions.

You see, in other organzations, you can not compete at such levels unless you one prior, smaller compeitions.

Perhaps this is logistically impossible, but why doesn't the big IBM compeition only feature those that have one from Regional or National competitions?

I would of expected that competitions would begin in local rings; then from local rings one person would compete at regional area (as there are regional presidents); then compete at a multi-regional level, and then national. Up until the Big IBM compeition.

Just curious...or is it like that already?

The IBM (and many other conventions) are already having difficulty getting acts to compete. Making it more difficult to qualify isn't going to be beneficial in attracting quality, competition worthy performances. Also the IBM and SAM aren't set up for a round robin type of selection process. They don't have "sanctioned" regional conventions to compete in and allow you to move up to the next level. Even if they did this would put an excessive burden on the performer as now he would be forced to enter several local and regional conventions if he wished to enter the national one. It would also keep acts out that don't have local rings to attend and contests to enter.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Error..the Big combined convention with the S.A.M. will be in St. Louis.

Should bring in the "big guns".

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » On Competition break downs.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL