We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The world's unfunniest magic trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I fancy working on something new but am somewhat uninspired today.

When looking for something new I often try and think of effects that aren't funny then try and make them funny. It often proves more fruitful in the long run than looking for funny effects.

So my question is this;
What stage effects have you never seen a funny performance of?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Squeeze A Way Block is so mysterious that it doesn't even get a response, let alone a laugh.
It really is a great effect but possibly too good for words.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Sawing a woman in two, followed by the line, "I'll probably end of with the part that eats."
Or,"I'll probably end up with the part that wants to talk."
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I should've said it was a game. I'd have a list by now.

Jay, I looked at a video of Squeeze Away a block. Are the audience really stunned into silence?

To me it seems like one of those effects that will intrigue magicians because they won't be able to work out exactly how it works whereas spectators will just an assume an obvious (albeit) wrong assumption of how it works and not be that impressed.

However, I only saw a clip quick so I don't now how much one proves the blocks are solid before the effect. It would be cool if you could solve 3 rubix cubes then squish away the middle one.

I think I have seen a few gag versions of cutting a woman in half with and without the misogyny.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2867 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
"What's Next" ceased being funny forever after the first 25 times I've seen it done...
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I already do what's next.

I was looking for effects that you have never seen a funny presentation of rather than effects you don't find funny because you've seen them too often or aren't funny because you've seen people do them with hacky lines.

I guess you must've all seen funny presentations of all stage effects then...
Tomer
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
113 Posts

Profile of Tomer
I do the same thing! Here are a few that I'm working on as well:
- Magic Square
- Spoon/Metal Bending
- Invisible Touch
- Floating Rose
- Russian Roulette
- Gypsy Thread/Gypsy Balloon

I would also appreciate if you could post a few you're working on or effects you've made funny.
Also, if you have funny ideas for any of those I would love to hear them, you're more than welcome to PM me.

Tomer
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2598 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I don't think the lack of response is due to the fact that we've all seen funny presentations of every effect out there...

it's just that if you include effects that have had unsuccessful attempts at being presented in a comedic way it's rather interesting and surprising to realise that it really is rather difficult to come up with any effect that hasn't had a comedic presentation applied to it. (if you ignore how good or bad or successful or otherwise such presentations may have been that is)
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hey Tomer,
That's cool, it's a good way to work.

I sometimes do the Magic Square but as I have seen John Archer's version I've had a hard time making it my own. Apart from a few lines it's pretty much his version so I don't do it in my set but sometimes use it as an MC piece to rouse the crowd.

I was also looking at the Gypsy Balloon myself. It looks beautiful but no inspiration has struck me yet. Maybe I should buy the thing and see if any ideas come to me when I play with it for a bit.

That's a good point Neal. I was asking for effects without funny presentations rather than comedic ones but maybe folks won't want to name an effect that has a failed funny presentation...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The world's unfunniest magic trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL