The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Al Baker Rice Bowl help to get them back on the market? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-06-24 21:13, Alan Munro wrote:
Silicone would be a better choice to shine the gimmick, since it won't cause the gimmick to break down over time. Olive oil will eventually do that.

Either might cause problems if the goal is to transfer the gimmick from A to B, and not just remove.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5762 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-06-24 21:18, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-24 21:13, Alan Munro wrote:
Silicone would be a better choice to shine the gimmick, since it won't cause the gimmick to break down over time. Olive oil will eventually do that.

Either might cause problems if the goal is to transfer the gimmick from A to B, and not just remove.

The key would be to use very little. A drop is too much. The excess could be blotted with a towel.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Now I see why Phineas stopped posting here. And I am surprised you started this entire topic up here, asking for photos of the original trick, and it didn't seem to bother you when wmhegbli posted actual photos of the gimmick and bowls. But I can take a hint. If anyone wants me, I'll be at The Magic Nook until Spellbinder gets back. The "other" Spellbinder.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I'd be "in" for a new set of Baker Bowls. I agree they should not be crockery or china. Melamine, plastic or wood. Be sure to include an extra gimmick. I was going to mention Levent's Roy Benson book as a great source of information and pictures, but the author beat me to it! Also the Al Baker book compendium published by Todd Karr.
yakutyokel2
View Profile
New user
Oregon
5 Posts

Profile of yakutyokel2
So, any word on Wack-O-Magic's progress or how to get on the waiting list? I did the ***k method when I was a kid, and have always wanted the Baker version. And, yes, the Benson book is fantastic for a LOT of reasons.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Al Baker probably did not "manufacture" the bowls, he probably found some restaurant supplier of the day and then made up the gimmicks. It always amazes me that people fabricate what was a common item.
I think if you search bowl companies, that bowl can be found. That would keep the price down for us po' folk. If you have to make it or have it made, the price would probably be prohibitive, especially if you distribute it with a mark-up for dealers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBx006_cLI
What I would like to see is a gimmick to fit a certain sized bowl and instructions only. The miracle is in the the simplicity of an everyday object. The bowls style is secondary.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22821 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magicians is correct, as I noted on the previous page, these bowls are very common in size and shape, I found a number of them on Amazon that would work very well.

Making a cereal bowl is over kill for this, as without the proper fitting gimmick, you can just eat out of them.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3494 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The cost is in the right gimmick mainly, yes. The correct and “everyday” bowls would be included for completeness and convenience. Michael’s props are always well prices for the quality and care that goes into them. They would arrive with at least two original presentations as a bonus

Wack-O-Magic has just come out with his dovepan layer cake, and only one can be molded and colored a day, so he’s been a little behind with the R&D for the rice bowls but their on the list. He also took the time to made a custom set of three Art Nouveau magic tables for my San Francisco Magic Parlor.

Magically, Walt
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
In another topic Bill Hegbli wrote about Zauber-Butike (located in Germany).
To look around I clicked: Klassiker Teil 1 (Duck) and I found:
Chinesische Reisschalen (chinese rice bowls) in a DIFFERENT SHAPE !!
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
SORRY I forget to tell:
when entering the site click at first in the right column on KUNSTSTUCKE
and (I don't work with animals- LoL): it's a CHICKEN, not a duck.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Ask Levent. He did a segment in his book about Roy Benson. He might have the original or know someone who does. Either way, he would be a good person to ask.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 16:14, magicians wrote:
Al Baker probably did not "manufacture" the bowls, he probably found some restaurant supplier of the day and then made up the gimmicks.

I think it was in the Jay Marshall 90th Birthday issue of Genii where there was an interview with Jay. He talked about painting the blue stripes on the bowls for his father-in-law, Al Baker.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22821 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Since this forum has started, I have noted several sites that have Al Baker Bowls for sale. Most have a old, unusable, gimmick with them. I don't know if there is a market for them, as it seems they are not selling. I do not see the cloth Charlie Miller used with his set of bowls in any of the pictures with the props. Is this cloth a regular part of the trick, or was it just how Charlie Miller used it?

The reason is possibly a sign of the times, not many want to go through the set up and carrying the props to a show destination. Not just for this water and rice trick, but for all props that need a extra table or assistant to perform, long with a tray and background music.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Charlie used a pot holder.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1080 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Here is a link to an original Baker set I have with the gimmick...one of the photos if it comes through shows the gimmick in place. If there is anyone seriously making the gimmick kindly let me know...Thanks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32829591@N......ightbox/

Chuck
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
For the young guys (and, perhaps a few old geezers) who may never have seen the Baker bowls performed, the Joe Stevens "Greater Magic Video Library" #17 has Charlie Miller performing HIS routine.

I was attending a 'mini' convention in Wichita KS, in the early '70s, and Charlie did the bowls on the evening show. It was hilarious!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3494 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Charlie was the BEST. As an update Wack-O magic still has it on his to-do list, but one of the challenges, along with making an effective gimmick today, is finding the right bowls with the correct design which is too tricky to paint on, and keep the set at a good price.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have an original set of Al Baker bowls,which have never been used. The gimmick looks just fine.

I bought it years ago, after seeing Charlie Miller do it at the Wichita KS "gathering" that I mentioned above.

It was in an estate sale. I paid more than I should have for it, I've decided that it's time to either use the bowls for my oatmeal in the morning, or dispose of them.

I imagine that if I used the bowls for my breakfast cereal, Al (or Charlie) would come back and haunt me!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22821 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I wonder who has the original manufacturing molds and equipment for the original bowls and gimmicks that Tannen's sold. I would not be surprised if they are wasting away in an attic or barn some place. Al Baker had a magic shop in New York, did Louis Tannen buy out the stock when it closed? So many questions and no answers to all the mysteries.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Bill:

I doubt that whomever has the mold for the original gimmick knew what it was. It would be an odd plaster thing and unless you saw it in use.. you might think it was an oddly shaped hard to clean ashtray.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Al Baker Rice Bowl help to get them back on the market? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL