The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Al Baker Rice Bowl help to get them back on the market? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1080 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have managed to get a very limited amount of the gimmicks manufactured, if anyone is interested in one let me know...

http://s295.photobucket.com/user/caputo1......html?o=0

chuck Caputo
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Charlie was the BEST. As an update Wack-O magic still has it on his to-do list, but one of the challenges, along with making an effective gimmick today, is finding the right bowls with the correct design which is too tricky to paint on, and keep the set at a good price.

I hope Wack-O will produce the gimmick.

If I may be so bold , I'd love to see a gimmick that would fit a large , wide-mouth COFEEE CUP , so the effect can be done with coffee beans and the final surprise is the appearance of coffee in the cup. This would probably require that the gimmick be THICK white material so that the dark brown of the coffee doesn't show.

Smile

http://www.lionsdeal.com/get-c-1001-dw.html

Click here to view attached image.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, Anverdi-museum wrote:
I have managed to get a very limited amount of the gimmicks manufactured, if anyone is interested in one let me know...

http://s295.photobucket.com/user/caputo1......html?o=0

chuck Caputo

YES.

PM me with price. Thanks.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Whoah.....

Those look GOOD!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5441 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Chuck, isn't someone offering these bowls of yours? I thought I saw something from Hocus Pocus, or Stevens?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22823 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2015, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Chuck, isn't someone offering these bowls of yours? I thought I saw something from Hocus Pocus, or Stevens?

Chuck, is only selling the gimmicks, which are unavailable anywhere else, he does not make or sell the bowls. No one has advertised the Al Baker Bowls to my knowledge in 55 years. Chuck owns an original Al Baker Bowl set, and needed new gimmicks, so he found someone to make some for him.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have an original Al Baker rice bowl set and gimmick. (New--never used) If interested,PM me.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
905 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2015, Wizard of Oz wrote:

Chuck, is only selling the gimmicks, which are unavailable anywhere else, he does not make or sell the bowls. No one has advertised the Al Baker Bowls to my knowledge in 55 years. Chuck owns an original Al Baker Bowl set, and needed new gimmicks, so he found someone to make some for him.

Incorrect....Chuck is selling the covers and bowls and Hocus Pocus was offering them.

Dick...pm sent.
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2015, Rudy Sanchez wrote:

Incorrect....Chuck is selling the covers and bowls and Hocus Pocus was offering them.

Not at this time (as of June 21, 2015) . Hocus Pocus no longer has that item available ( http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/pro......em=30462 )

I had a PM from Chuck and he does not have any of the gimmicks available , but hopes to make them available again soon. But no bowls.

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2012, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
I decided to hound Michael Mosher at Wack-O Innovative magic, he has the tools to make excellent ones, but was concerned they would not sell well enough to make the process worth pursuing.

I won… Michael is willing to look into making a limited number of Al Baker style Rice Bowl sets.

--However, he needs to find someone who has an original Baker gimmick. He’d need very clear and detailed photos from every angle of the gimmick both on and off the bowls to see if he can correctly mold one.

--And it would not hurt of have a description of your best handling for them, so he could provide very detailed instructions with the set. (Charlie Miller’s performance was a hysterical miracle!)

If he can gather all that info together, he’ll try to work up a prototype. These have not been available for decades, and even if you own a set the “certain something” wears out and needs to be replaced.

Sadly, this project to revive the Al Baker Rice Bowls seems to have never came to fruition. (unless a limited run were offered and I missed it ?)
I would still be interested if Wack-O-Magic or anyone else would release the Al Baker Rice Bowls and had a way of ensuring a supply of replacement gimmicks as needed (or sell it with at least two gimmicks , one to use and one to keep carefully stored as a back up if the first one should get damaged or lost) .

Apparently the big issue is making the gimmick, not so much the bowls.

The reason I'm reminded of this and am reviving this old topic is because I was recently looking at an auction catalog and came across a listing for the Al Baker Rice Bowls , which said: "Gimmick lacking, but easily replaced". Ha-ha. Smile Define "easily".

Click here to view attached image.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
524 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Just ran across this about the Al Baker gimmick for the rice bowls. I made one a while back by covering my bowl mouth with an 11 inch balloon, with its mouth cut off. Tape the balloon on the sides so it does not slip off. Get some liquid white latex from your large craft store and water it down slightly with distilled water, so it is the consistency of thin gravy. Coat the balloon with fanning powder or talcum powder for a release agent. Place the bowl on a lazy susan and spin it then pour the latex onto the middle of the bowl, which is covered with the balloon.

Let the latex fully cover the bowl top and run down the sides. The centrifugal force will spread the latex on the top and then runs down. Let dry for 48 hours and then coat with corn starch before removing cover. Cut the side lip so it comes down to the side colored ring on the bowl. If no colored ring on the bowl, put one on it, to mask the transition.

This was copied from a post in Feb 2020 by myself.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3510 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
This is a mint set of ceramic Al Baker Bowls I own that were put out by Tenyo a number of years ago. Gimmick is still pristine sealed in the blue plastic sleeve.

Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
905 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Love the Baker Rice Bowls....I had to change the name to fit my personality.

www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1856 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
If you drop the gaff, do like Al Baker, put it in you pocket and say "how did my shower cap get there", set the bowls aside and keep going.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Al Baker Rice Bowl help to get them back on the market? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL