The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This one is for you kambiz... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Have a listen, hope you see what I see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY37l4PDsao&feature=related

You don't have to agree, just understand my point of view.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Here's an earlier cover of the item - only performed that once BTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waV9et1AfDo
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-06-22 18:59, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Here's an earlier cover of the item - only performed that once BTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waV9et1AfDo

Smile

Thanks JT...
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I'm sorry, but to me that song is a manifestation of nihilism, and plays right into the totalitarian game.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 08:28, Woland wrote:
I'm sorry, but to me that song is a manifestation of nihilism, and plays right into the totalitarian game.

Not at all. It expresses a beautiful, if unattainable, dream. Imagine that.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Thankyou for this Pakar. It really was a touching clip, and I am aware of several Emmanuels in the middle east. They are a sad victim of humans who lack a moral education, and I'm not just talking about his blood parents, but I'm also talking about the uneducated (the so called 'religious') people who run the countries in the middle east.

However, what can I do? These things will continue. You know I agree with Lennon. Imagine a world with no religion, seeing what religion has produced in the last 200 years, I would have NO hesitation to do what you did Pakar and give up on God altogether. But that is EXACTLY why I, as a man who does have his senses about him, chose to dedicate my life to the Bahai Faith, together with my fellow community members, we are striving every day to create a world withOUT 'religion'(in the traditional sense)......a new era has dawned my friend, there will be NO misinterpretations of the Bahai Writings, the love that is being created will embrace the whole world and I'm deeply proud to be part of that loving reconstruction.

No free access to heaven. No do as I say, not what I do. No free access to a thousand virgins in the afterlife if you kill the so called infidels. No, I am the way and the only way. Just pure and unadulterated JUSTICE. The guidance is clear, incredibly clear, you put in the hard hours to build loving relationships, build loving neighbourhoods and communities, you get the rewards in this world and the next. I'm proud to be part of a community that recognizes that you don't get something for nothing, but you get more by showing more selflessly servitude to ALL who may cross your path Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvmsMzlF7o

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 08:28, Woland wrote:

Woland, I would love to know what you think is a solution to the SAME problems that have plagued humanity since the beginning of time when social cohesion started taking form???

Kam
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Does your post assume that there is "a solution"?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'd like to put out there that the question of whether it would be "better" for the world if there were a God (as some believe) vs. if there were no God (as others believe) has no bearing (as far as I know) on the question of whether or not God actually exists.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 12:20, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Does your post assume that there is "a solution"?

Yes it does Smile

Kam
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Why?

kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Why what?

Kam
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Why the assumption that there is a solution?

kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
I see it.....I have vision and everything within that vision has come true so far, so I guess it's a good indication that the future vision may well be accurate too. Plus, I live the solution and it's d.a.r.n workable Smile

Kam
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I'm sorry, Bob, I think the song expresses a bleak, post-modernist nightmare, not a dream.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 18:24, Woland wrote:
I'm sorry, Bob, I think the song expresses a bleak, post-modernist nightmare, not a dream.

I was under the impression that it was about removing the hooks set in the imaginations of others; the promise of heaven (if you do as told) and the threat of hell (if you don't offer satisfactory compliance), the driver of an "afterlife" used to direct behavior in ways that don't serve in the here and now (living for today), national boundaries as used to justify war for the benefit of leaders and disrespect to others (no countries) ...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
If I can find the time later, Jonathan, I will go over this depressing lyric line by line with you.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 18:31, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 18:24, Woland wrote:

I was under the impression that it was about removing the hooks set in the imaginations of others; the promise of heaven (if you do as told) and the threat of hell (if you don't offer satisfactory compliance), the driver of an "afterlife" used to direct behavior in ways that don't serve in the here and now (living for today), national boundaries as used to justify war for the benefit of leaders and disrespect to others (no countries) ...

Smile
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
OK, I found a minute. Let's take it stanza by stanza:

Quote:
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

That stanza expresses one of the simple appeals of atheism. It posits a world without consequences. The appeal of a world without judgment and without either reward or punishment, is that you can do whatever appeals to you at the moment, without any over-riding moral control. "Nothing is true, everything is permissible." Or as the Marquess de Sade put it, " . . . j'y suis au bout du monde, soustrait à tous les yeux et sans qu'il puisse devenir possible à aucune créature d'arriver à moi; plus de freins, plus de barrières."

"Living for today" means no thought of ethics, morals, but only the hedonistic, libertine pursuit of immediate pleasures.

Next stanza:

Quote:
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

This stanza continues the theme of no values, no principles. The eradication of "countries" means the eradication of personal identity. Stripped of all of the particularities of your individuality, your language, your nationality, your cultural traditions, you are just a robot. "Nothing to kill or die for" because there is nothing meaningful, nothing worthwhile, nothing beyond the immediate pleasures of the hedonistic libertine solipsist. Defend your family? Why bother. But as the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. put it, "“I have a dream! To be free at last! Free at last! Free at last. And if a man has nothing to die for, Then his life is worth nothing." And he also said, “A man who won't die for something is not fit to live.”

The Lennonist has nothing to die for because his life is a depressed nihilistic pursuit of pleasure to distract himself from the emptiness of a meaningless existence.

Next stanza:

Quote:
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

This is another naive and antinomian inversion. Hunger can only be assuaged when there are possessions, when there is meaningful economic activity. The dream of "no possessions" means in practice, the "tragedy of the commons," with no responsibility for anything. Reducing people to the condition of wild animals will not end greed or hunger. Without hunger, without desire, without greed, there would be no striving, there would be no aspirations, there would be no life. Lennon describes a flat, dead, nihilistic condition of abolute entropy.

This song is really one of the most anti-life, anti-culture, anti-human lyrics ever written. Amazing how the psychopathology of a depressed individual resonates so strongly with the well-meaning and naive.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
All that just means freedom.

And that I think is where we differ...

You believe we will destroy ourselves given that freedom.

I believe we will prosper beyond our wildest dreams.

But to you, yours... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This one is for you kambiz... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL