The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Forgetful Freddie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hestonsmagic
View Profile
New user
McMinnville, OR
92 Posts

Profile of hestonsmagic
Hi everyone I need some help. I picked up a vintage Forgetful Freddie this weekend. I thought it might be an Abbotts but am not sure. The thing that stands out the most on this is it is the "little boy" style, however he has bubble eyes. You know those old plastic eyes. I am wanting to find the orgins of the manufacturer. (please don't contact me to see if it is for sale it is not) This is a great piece in my collection but I really would like to know who made it... Can anyone provide some suggestions.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Abbott's, Hank Lee, Grant/MAK, Supreme all had versions including one that was called Frankie and look like Frankenstein. Can you post a picture?
hestonsmagic
View Profile
New user
McMinnville, OR
92 Posts

Profile of hestonsmagic
I will post a picture tonight. I know it is not Frankie, and it is not the origninal that looked like a man with shirt and tie... It is the freckled boy version, but an early one.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
hestonsmagic
View Profile
New user
McMinnville, OR
92 Posts

Profile of hestonsmagic
Not that style.. I am working off of memory right now and I think it was similar to this... http://magictrickcollection.com/mak/Forgetful_Freddy.jpg
will have to have my son text me a photo to post ...

Ahh forgetful Yogi... I sure wish I had that one.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It is easy enough to have a "Forgetful Whatever-You-Want" by printing out the cartoon of Yogi, or Charlie Brown, or Frankenstein, etc. on glossy photo paper, then cut it out and stick the body on the body and the heads on the heads using Craft Glue Dots which will hold them tightly, but also allows them to be removed so you can change heads and bodies as often as you want without damaging the original. The photo parts should be larger than the wooden base parts and it is OK if they stick out over the edges, which no one will be able to see but you. Change Your "Forgetful" with the seasons, if you wish, and combine a photograph of your own face on the head for extra laughs.
hestonsmagic
View Profile
New user
McMinnville, OR
92 Posts

Profile of hestonsmagic
So here is a picture. The googly eyes is a difference I am not familiar with, and the picture here actually makes it look "newer" than when your standing in front of it.
Thanks,

Click here to view attached image.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
http://magictrickcollection.com/mak-magi......jpg.html

http://magictrickcollection.com/mak-magic.htm

It appears to be a MAK. There is a cupola paint differences, like the shoes and the eyes.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-06-25 14:49, jimgerrish wrote:
It is easy enough to have a "Forgetful Whatever-You-Want" by printing out the cartoon of Yogi, or Charlie Brown, or Frankenstein, etc. on glossy photo paper, then cut it out and stick the body on the body and the heads on the heads using Craft Glue Dots which will hold them tightly, but also allows them to be removed so you can change heads and bodies as often as you want without damaging the original. The photo parts should be larger than the wooden base parts and it is OK if they stick out over the edges, which no one will be able to see but you. Change Your "Forgetful" with the seasons, if you wish, and combine a photograph of your own face on the head for extra laughs.

Careful discussing this. That is exactly how Warren Hamilton found his backside up against a hot stove with Hanna-Barbera after making Yogi, and he was actually using a company-commissioned die cut decoration of Yogi. You'd think that would have made a difference, since he actually purchased their licensed product. But HB still threatened him legally. That has a lot to do with why they are so rare.

Selling such a product is a no-no, but even making one for yourself could be considered a licensing violation if you are in turn making money from the item. The same would be true if you made yourself a Mickey Mouse costume and hired yourself out for birthday parties as such.

BTW - I do have one of the Yogis. Mine is un-numbered... somewhat rare among the rarities. Not for sale, though.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-06-25 15:07, hestonsmagic wrote:
So here is a picture. The googly eyes is a difference I am not familiar with, and the picture here actually makes it look "newer" than when your standing in front of it.
Thanks,

The google eyes could be something a previous owner added. I don't know enough about them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hestonsmagic
View Profile
New user
McMinnville, OR
92 Posts

Profile of hestonsmagic
The eyes could have been an add on but I am noticing several differences in the painting from the two. This one has less detail painting, positioning of the eyes, painted shoes, none of which appear to be secondary painting ... So I am wondering if the one I have is older or newer than the picture... Anyone know how to date such a thing?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Maybe you can write to Jimmy King at MAK.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hestonsmagic
View Profile
New user
McMinnville, OR
92 Posts

Profile of hestonsmagic
Thanks Michael.. I have sent him an email.
Lets see what that turns up...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Forgetful Freddie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL