The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using Logos and Graphic Designer's for Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
While I agree don't do it yourself, I disagree that moms give a hoot about it. You are right but not to the degree in which it matters. Birthday parties unless you are working for the ultra seaworthy the graphic design is not that huge a deal .

Sure it is a business but you reach a point of diminishing returns VERY quickly.
Are the kids having fun? Did they hear good things from the neighbor? There are things that mean far more in that market than if a logo is color balanced with the rest of the promo material. Or if someone else in the market has a similar style.

You look at it from a graphic designers point of view mixed worn a magicians point of view. That is a VERY narrow window to look through.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 12:26, magic4u02 wrote:
If you ask me, if you are a children's performer, you have to stand out even more. To the lay person, you are just another Joe Blow magician. They have no clue how to tell you part from all the other children's performers. It becomes magician A,B C or D.

In the realm of Kid show entertainers, there are so many out there "working" the market more so then most others. In this manor it helps to make sure you are branding yourself as effectively as you possibly can. Get them to know you are different, unique and a professional.

A well developed brand does this for you.

Kyle

I am going to have to agree with you because I am experienced as a children's/family performer. Especially if the performer wants to be full time.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 13:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
While I agree don't do it yourself, I disagree that moms give a hoot about it. You are right but not to the degree in which it matters. Birthday parties unless you are working for the ultra seaworthy the graphic design is not that huge a deal .

Sure it is a business but you reach a point of diminishing returns VERY quickly.
Are the kids having fun? Did they hear good things from the neighbor? There are things that mean far more in that market than if a logo is color balanced with the rest of the promo material. Or if someone else in the market has a similar style.

You look at it from a graphic designers point of view mixed worn a magicians point of view. That is a VERY narrow window to look through.

Ultra wealthy. Stupid tablet.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Yeah I hate auto correct. lol I hear you about things like "are the kids having fun" or "what did the neighbor say". However all of those responses only comes from after you have landed a gig. The reason for effective branding is to make sure you are marketing yourself in such a way that YOU are the one that they decide to go with and not someone else.

Word of mouth is a great thing but one can not rely solely on it if they want to have a well established magic business. I will say that lay people are not conscious of branding so much but it does effect and impact their decision. They may not even realize it because many times it is psychological in nature.

If I am a lay person I am am sorting through a bunch of magicians websites for a party or event, I tend to gravitate to the one that is branded well and marketed the right way. If the persons site looks trashy, unprofessional and does not market them well, I move on.

I can not tell you how many times I got booked first over countless others simply because my branding and marketing were far superior then my competitors. It does make a difference in more ways then some may realize.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Great discussion on the value of graphic design. Although I have not invested in such assistance yet, I think one consideration in favor of Kyle's position is that according to one of his earlier posts, it is not all that expensive to invest in it. I have relied heavily on word of mouth in the library, scout, festival and country club market for cross pollination as well as to develop birthday party leads. All but the birthday market really lend themselves to immediate future bookings (based on word of mouth) due to the unique nature of our performance. If I were to need more birthday shows from those unfamiliar with my brand, I can see where doing so very well would be to my advantage. So, perhaps it depends on where one plans on looking for their future leads as to how important your graphic design looks.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Good discussion. Any marketing that you do must not only be branded, and look good but it also must communicate effectively. That is what a professional graphic designer does. A professional designer knows that YOU are YOUR services you provide are unique. That means your branding and your materials but showcase your unique service offerings and communicate this effectively for you. It is not a matter of making something "look pretty." It MUST communicate or it simply does not work.

I have been working a lot lately on vertical banner display designs for some clients and that has been a real treat. I have also been doing a lot of business card set ups and creating professional invitations that you can send to your clients. I willl try and share some samples soon.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using Logos and Graphic Designer's for Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL