The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Karl Fulves "Color Flite" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Hello All,

In Karl Fulves' Big Book of Magic Tricks, there is a card trick called "Color Flite" that I cannot get to work properly. Briefly, the effect is that a red and blue deck are used, and a red-backed Joker changes into a chosen red-backed card, and a blue-backed Joker changes into a chosen blue-backed card. However, when I try it, the red-backed Joker changes into chosen blue-backed card, and the blue-backed Joker changes into the chosen red-backed card. As Fulves points out, this should be a very strong effect, but as it works out it doesn't make sense. Has anyone given this a try? Also, there is a discrepancy in that the decks suddenly switch colors mid-trick, but Fulves doesn't point this out -- are the specs not supposed to notice?

Thanks,

WalterPlinge
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Has anyone had a chance to try this one out?

Thanks,

WalterPlinge
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I've not come across this effect, but Fulves is known for very workable magic. Perhaps you need to read it one more time. I know that, sometimes, I need several readings to make sense of things. It is very difficult to explain magic effects with words. One of the reasons DVD is taking over...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 22:07, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
I've not come across this effect, but Fulves is known for very workable magic. Perhaps you need to read it one more time. I know that, sometimes, I need several readings to make sense of things. It is very difficult to explain magic effects with words. One of the reasons DVD is taking over...

Jim

Hi Jim,

I gave it another try -- same result. This seems to be a trick where there are 2 discrepancies but the spectators are not supposed to notice. Fulves states that the trick is a creation of Roy Walton -- whoever that is.

Thanks,

Walter
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5414 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
This is, indeed, a Roy Walton trick. I haven't seen the Fulves write-up of it, but it is clearly explained in volume two of The Complete Walton. No discrepencies and no unplanned color changing decks. PM me and perhaps I can assist you with it.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
"Fulves states that the trick is a creation of Roy Walton -- whoever that is."

Ohhh that line hurts...me maybe more than Roy Walton! ;-)
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 14:36, 723sabre wrote:

Sorry, I really have just never heard of him.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 15:50, WalterPlinge wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 14:36, 723sabre wrote:

Sorry, I really have just never heard of him.

Oh, no need to apologize! Just me being a smart a@@. Do look up Roy Walton online an learn about him. You will find he has been performing and creating magic a long time, and has published quite a bit of material over the years.
Just like you, I never heard of him till I got into magic (card magic is really where I started to learn about Walton.)The nice thing about magic is the journey of discovery- tricks, effects, skills, and most importantly, people. Enjoy the journey!!
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
No worries, 723sabre. Smile

A BIG thanks to Magiguy for helping me out. Color Flite is a terrific effect. There are some subtleties and a minor sleight that Fulves left out of his version that make all the difference. And now I know who Roy Walton is, and if this is representative of his effects, I have a newly found respect for him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Karl Fulves "Color Flite" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL