The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Chael Sonnen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
The SBF can be a potent tool in the hands of an expert striker. It takes experience in timing and distance and all the other things that a great striker learns only by experience as a striker. Sonnen doesn't have that kind of striking experience.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
That spinning backfist was ridiculious. It was obviously something relatively new to his arsenal (I've never seen him throw one in a live fight) and like a new toy he was determined to play with it. It's never a good idea to decide in advance to use a certain technique, and I'd be willing to bet that's exactly what he did. And it cost him big. But I thought he was doomed from the start anyway. He had his chance to beat Silva in the first fight and he let it slip away. That was his one chance in ten of ever beating Silva.

I hope they don't try to push for a third fight. There is no reason for it other than right now there doesn't seem to be anyone who can beat Silva in his weight class. I guess there is talk of a super fight with Jones but, frankly, if I were Silva there is no way I would move up to fight Jones. I'd tell Dana to stuff it. Silva has already moved up to 205 twice at Whites request. Silva is the one with 15 straight wins and 10 straight title defenses and doesn't like to fight at 205. He doesn't need Jon Jones to cement his reputation, and he doesn't owe anybody anything.

Hopefully Dan Henderson will destroy Jones in Sept anyway.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I seem to remember Silva's manager recently saying Silva's never going to fight Jones.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 12:01, critter wrote:
I seem to remember Silva's manager recently saying Silva's never going to fight Jones.

Both sides have said they aren't interested in a fight. They are supposedly good friends. Dana says "we'll see". Obviously he would like to see it happen. I'm not a big fan of this "I don't want to fight my friend" stuff. I understand it, but they are supposed to be professional athletes and they are members of an organization. Not too many pro sports where an individual or a team can just decide they won't compete against another.

That being said, I'm not sure it's a great idea anyway. It would tie up two belts for a long time while they prepared to fight. There aren't enough title defenses as is, and they try to place title defenses stratigically in various shows to get he biggest PPV returns. Jones fights in Sept already so it would probably take a year to for the fight to roll around.IF they both remained healthy. That means it could be darn near two years before Silva defends his middleweight crown again. Look how long this rematch with Sonnen took to actually happen.

Plus Jones is in his prime and Silva, while still great, isn't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Chael Sonnen (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL