The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Slide by De'Mon and Titanas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5293 Posts

Profile of RNK
Titanas,

Why is it so hard for you to show an unedited video?
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1984 Posts

Profile of Titanas
RNK,
Read my previous post.
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5293 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-06-27 15:01, Illucifer wrote:
RNK, the clean up is demonstrated repeatedly, which leads me to
believe you were fooled by it. Count that as a strength.

It is not demonstrated repeatedly. And you say you don't want to show a close up of the sliding because you didn't want to get the back of the specs head???? You could easily have gotten a close up of the effect which is part of where the skeptism begins.

RNK
Perseus Arkomanis
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Perseus Arkomanis
RNK
There are enough close ups of the sliding during the matchbook, bill, mismade card and buisness card animations...
I would suggest you wait for a comment from someone who has it and performes it before continuing this nuttshell. If you're trying to fish the method, that is not the way my friend...
Thanks!
P.S: Trust me when I say I would LOVE to shoot a short video with the whole process so you can see how clean and astonishing it is...but then again why should I do that? Just to prove something to you...No sir...No can do...
Peace out!
The things that are most real to me are the illusions which I create...everything else is quicksand...
<BR>
<BR>www.perseusmagic.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5293 Posts

Profile of RNK
Again, not fishing. There is not many ways this can be accomplished. With that being said, why shy away from an unedited video? If the effect is so fantastic as you are implying? If you have nothing to hide and as you say "would LOVE" to shoot a short video showing the whole process, then do it. There are only a few reasons why you would not shoot the video, but I won't be harsh and get into those. You stand by your product and I respect that. But not showing the full process introduces skeptism. That is why you should shoot it my friend!

Best,
RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5293 Posts

Profile of RNK
[/quote]

Titanas, I do not think RNK has actually said anything bad about the actual effect. His concern, and mine I admit... Is that we have yet to see an unedited video... Simply show the card being selected, signed , torn and restored... That is all... To many effects skate on showing unedited demo's... People rave over said demos... Then they get bitter when the effect is not what was shown in the original demo... I am not saying that you are doing this... I am simply stating that a lot of confusion could be avoided by simply showing unedited demos...
[/quote]

Very well stated. Sorry, maybe I am not expressing myself correctly. Show an unedited video and this will all be moot.

Best,
RNK
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
ALex and Titanas's names are enough for me. I'm so in on this!
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1984 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Zombie Magic,
Thanks for the trust, means a lot.

RNK,
My only concern of adding a full unedited performance is that next you will ask for another one and then for another one and I will end up uploading the full DVD.
So if I upload one full performance will it make you happy?

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1304 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
I think the balance of this demo is just right. In fact what editing there is doesn't hide anything contentious that I can think of.

I'm not hugely sold on the slide aspect of this effect, I think most people would be thinking about what was going on behind the card.

However the kicker, that dispels those thoughts, is the joined up card at the end-- particularly the mismade card.

Good stuff IMHO
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
At 1:53 we see Titanas do the mis-made Slide. That's what really sold me in wanting this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHiegVx2k......embedded
Perseus Arkomanis
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Perseus Arkomanis
I think Titanas answered fairly, if we begin uploading videos to sutisfy each and every one, we will end up uploading the whole dvd. Your point is taken RNK. I sujest you wait until it is officialy released and people that trust Paul Harris and Titanas buy this and tell you what they think. When we say it took us 3 years in the making we mean it and that happened for a reason. Peace out.
The things that are most real to me are the illusions which I create...everything else is quicksand...
<BR>
<BR>www.perseusmagic.com
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
870 Posts

Profile of Nechto
I have seen this over the years in its development process and it has turned into a monster!! I love the new gimmick and how it really makes it easy! I just want to say that first.

Now I will also say openly, I am friends with Titanas, I am friends with De'mon, (how you doing guys??!!?) and I also work for the Merchant of Magic where we have this for Pre Order so by all means disregard anything I have said previously if you like. But I assure you my comments above aren't ime hyping for sales, it is my own opinion free of bias based on what I have seen this routine start out as and what it has now become.

If you feel burned by pre orders by all means don't pre order, no one is forcing your hand, wait for reviews and then judge it. It is simply tere as an option for people who want to, that is all.

I think the demo is fair and let's face it it is not a review video, those will come after the release and I'm sure De'mon and Titanas cannot wait for them.

Good work guys,

Hope to jam with you soon, until then, just think of something you love...!!!

Best,

Ben Williams
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
870 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Also I shall also point out Titanas is no Dan and Dave with cards at all, are you buddy? Be honest now!! So the fact that he is performing this is a testament to its ease!!!

Ha ha!!

Ben
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Quote:
RNK,
My only concern of adding a full unedited performance is that next you will ask for another one and then for another one and I will end up uploading the full DVD.
So if I upload one full performance will it make you happy?

Quote:
P.S: Trust me when I say I would LOVE to shoot a short video with the whole process so you can see how clean and astonishing it is...but then again why should I do that? Just to prove something to you...No sir...No can do...
Peace out!...I think Titanas answered fairly, if we begin uploading videos to sutisfy each and every one, we will end up uploading the whole dvd.

OK,
Sorry guys, but that's ridiculous. As far as "fishing for method" goes, we all know there is a "slider gimmick" in play to do the animation of the restoration and that it will have to be put into play and out of play. All RNK and some others were asking for was a demo video that shows a full performance so that they can see what that looks like. The practice that has become commonplace now to show demo videos that are highly edited and/or abbreviated that may not give a true representation of the effect as it performs "in the real world", has a lot of working professional magicians skeptical whenever we see any demo video that does not show a full performance. In this case it's a very reasonable question/request so that we can see what the dirty work looks like fully and how it plays out in the routining and the with the audience. That's not giving away the secrets, it does not show us what the gimmick looks like, how it is used, etc. To dismiss RNK's comments for a full performance demo by stating that will lead to uploading the entire DVD of this product is a cop out. If you have been using this for 2 years in your close-up set, you definitely have the handling and routining worked out and polished. If that's the case, you should be able to show a full performance demo in front of some real spectators so that magicians like RNK, myself and others can see what the routine looks like and decide if the work required will work for them. You obviously have footage in the can of performances of this for "real people", why not just show us a nice clean demo of one of those performances from the beginning of the trick to the end? If it's as clean and user-friendly as you say, it can only boost sales and if it's a bit awkward in the handling, then those who would appreciate knowing that will be grateful for the honesty. Guys, I'm not bashing here, the effect looks promising, I'm just one of the many that are tired of getting jumped on here on the Café when we ask for some demo videos that TRULY represent an effect and all the work, issues, handlings, etc. that come along with it. Good luck with this one, I hope it goes over well in the Magic Community.

Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5293 Posts

Profile of RNK
Thank you Hank. Very well put. I wish I could have stated it that way that in the beginning. That's all I am asking.

Best,
RNK
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 14:40, Ray Chelt wrote:
I think the balance of this demo is just right. In fact what editing there is doesn't hide anything contentious that I can think of.

I'm not hugely sold on the slide aspect of this effect, I think most people would be thinking about what was going on behind the card.

However the kicker, that dispels those thoughts, is the joined up card at the end-- particularly the mismade card.

Good stuff IMHO

I agree here Ray. The demo strikes the right balance by showing the effect without laying the method out for all to copy.

The slide action is pretty and the effect is made all the more stronger with a well routined clean up.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Sorry, but as somebody has a strong affinity with Hanks gripes about demos in general I am afraid I don't see it here.

We see the card torn in two.

We see the two pieces joined up. (There could be a swap needed here but I feel to most magi that would be inconsequential)

We see the slide.

We see the the card made whole( and unfortunately Titanas I think there is a bit of a flash there !!)

All the extraneous stuff has been replaced with spectator reactions.

But I think you know precisely what you are getting from this demo.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 17:20, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 14:40, Ray Chelt wrote:

Good stuff IMHO

I agree here Ray. The demo strikes the right balance by showing the effect without laying the method out for all to copy.

The slide action is pretty and the effect is made all the more stronger with a well routined clean up.

Heck a time when Jamie and Ray agree.

What are the chances . Smile
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Everyone sell your house and go fulfill your bucket lists, the end is most definitely near! The 7th sign of the Apoclypse has just occurred right here on the Café...Ray Chelt & Jamie Ferguson have AGREED ON SOMETHING!!! Smile Smile Smile

Seriously though, while I agree that this demo is more "complete" than most of them nowadays, the responses from the creative parties involved were inappropriate to RNK's comments. To infer that it would lead to divulging the entire DVD for the effect or to state that you could easily show a complete demo of the effect from start to finish to illustrate
Quote:
you can see how clean and astonishing it is
is BS. If this effect is that clean to get into and to clean up after and you have been performing it for years, then do so. Why wouldn't you want to have such a strong demo? Again, with this particular effect, we all know there is a gimmick involved that gets brought in and rung out. Showing a complete performance would not change that fact or "give away the farm" in any way. What it WOULD do is show us how clean that handling looks when seeing the effect performed.

To me, that's part of the overall effect and an important component to anyone who is considering performing it. I don't want to derail this thread so I won't mention any details, but there is another TNR effect out right now and the creator of that effect chose to leave the "clean-up" portion of the effect completely out of the demo. I was so impressed by the tearing and restoration of the card, how clean and fair it looked, that I bought the effect. The clean-up is something that is hard to justify motivation wise and it should have been shared with poetntial customers of the effect. I personally believe that is exactly why it was left out in the first place.

Again folks, that's just my opinion, which wouldn't sell for $0.99 on EBay, so take from it what you will.
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4108 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hmmmm...

I as a magician feel that - if I like an effect - I should be able to create any motivation or motivated actions and whatever misdirection that may be necessary.

If the effect is such that I cannot, I suppose I would think twice before purchasing from that creator again...either because of the low quality of the creation, or my own lack of skill in presenting that creator's magic products.

One might then say, "But how can you know this if you don't see a complete, undedited performance?" Yes, this would help, but in general I tend to side with the creators in not wanting to show everything. If I get burned by someone, I would consider not buying from that person again without knowing more about his/her effect.

So - that is Titanas's track record on his effects? Have his effects been criticized because, once purchased, they are lacking compared to the demos?

I don't know the answer to this question. I've purchase only 2ce from him. I was satisfied both times, but 2ce does not a week make.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Slide by De'Mon and Titanas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL