The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Tarology Banner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Hi all,

Please check out our banner on the main page. You'll be directed to our site where you can watch a trailer for the feature documentary, Tarology. Some really great reviews have already come in from members of the Café' and within the tarot community

If you decide to order the DVD, let us know in a paypal note that you found us through the Café'.

Thanks

Chris
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
I just bought it, but forgot to mention the Café! So this is where I heard about it! Smile
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Great... Thank you, Paul.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Rachel Pollack's thoughts on Tarology DVD:

"My copy of Tarology, the wonderful film about poetic Tarot reader Enrique Enriquez, arrived today and it's even more fascinating than I'd expected. (Every now and then you have to sit through that Pollack woman spouting off but mercifully not too much.) the film makers, Chris Deleo and Kimberlie Naughton, have done a great job. Really enjoyable."
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1024 Posts

Profile of kannon
This is great!
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Here's a fantastic and detailed review published yesterday. Tarology is fast becoming a "talked about" film within the tarot community. DVD's are shipping worldwide:

http://theworldoftarot.wordpress.com/201......f-tarot/
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1845 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
L'Roy Hooting:
E.E. and the Tarology Film
A Review
by
Todd Landman

I grew up in rural Pennsylvania with a Dutch father who was simply mad about modern jazz. MJQ, Miles Davis, Blood Sweat and Tears, George Shearing, Ahmad Jamal...to name a few.

A trombonist myself, it took me over 30 years to learn and 'unlearn' how to play in order to begin to 'feel' my way through improvisation. Making a spontaneous melodic line across an underlying harmonic structure looks and sounds easy, but it is the true sign of unconscious competence and the hallmark of expert knowledge. It is also emblematic of what Aristotle calls phronesis, or 'practical wisdom'.

Watching Enrique Enriquez work with the Tarot de Marseilles is analogous to hearing a musician like John Coltrane at the height of his jazz career. E.E. weaves a dialogical and co-created narrative (or melody) across the underlying structure of the cards on the table. He transcends the rigidity of set meanings, esoteric correspondences and the traditional way of reading, and focuses on the images themselves. It sounds simple:

‘Look at the cards’
‘Tell me what you see’
‘How do they make you feel?’

These three framing devices allow E.E. to work his own magic with and through the cards. But his work with the cards is made all the harder as they are randomly selected from a mixed deck and the Minor Arcana in the Marseilles deck are famous for not having pictorial illustrations.
We hear of movement in the cards, colours, the direction the characters are looking, the negotiation between them, the growing complexity across the number cards. This is free form jazz at its best!

My perceptions from E.E.'s work come from his visit to London a few years ago and my own good fortune of visiting him in New York last November where we walked through many of the settings that feature in the film.

A bright and clear Sunday morning brought me into his domain, far from his native Caracas, but somehow very familiar to him. After a chat in his favourite coffee shop (where I acquired Jodorovsky's own notes on the Marseilles tarot) we strolled through Soho and visited Evolution, a bone shop dedicated to the science of natural history. What an appropriate location to discuss the relevance of a set of 78 enduring images from over 350 years ago.

Tarology captures E.E.'s attempt to deconstruct and 'post-modernise' Tarot in ways that continue to make it relevant to our 21st Century lives. Gone are the woeful pronouncements from the 'knowing one' as E.E. makes the querent the subject of the reading not the object. Evocative of action research, E.E.'s approach involves the querent in developing the reading in ways that speak to his or her concerns.

The many cutaway quotes and vignettes from Tarot experts, occultists, filmmakers and others illustrate the profound ways in which E.E. has 'disrupted' their world and has catalysed a paradigm shift in the way we ought to think about the Tarot.

In addition to the New York scenes and the visions of Tarot throughout the urban landscape, the film also lets us into E.E.'s study of language, not from any Wittgensteinian notion of 'language games' but at the 'pataphysical' level of the shape of letters as they relate to Tarot shapes and to the reordering of letters as if they are the very cards of Tarot themselves. Shuffling letters allows E.E. to produce extraordinary surprises and the distinction between words, images, actions and meanings becomes exceedingly blurred.

E.E. calls this the Language of the Birds, in the French tradition, but I couldn't help thinking of the Alchemists who also spoke the language of the birds to hide the true meaning of their 'great work'... In receipt of E.E.'s Tongue Exercises, I have had my own play with words (some may have noticed that the title of this review is an anagram of Ornithology, the great jazz standard from Charlie 'Bird' Parker...the French looking result was a bonus!) and enjoyed the many surprises that can result.

This film is an intellectual, visual and cultural feast that lasts for over two hours. The cinematography from Chris Deleo is fresh, modern, personal, and gripping while the narrative carries the viewer along through E.E.'s enchanted world. The music is hip and fresh. Throw away all your preconceptions, watch it, enjoy it, live it...who knows what image is lurking around the next corner of your neck of the woods...if you can't see it, listen to the birds!
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Thank you, Todd
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1845 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 16:02, VernonOnCoins wrote:
Thank you, Todd

You are welcome...amazing film.

T
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2185 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I've been following its production for a while... and I finally bought my copy.
Can't wait.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Thank you, Todd
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
(Posted in Spooky, right after Todd's extensive review)

I enjoyed Tarology on so many levels I wouldn't even know where to begin. Plus Todd's review as well as other posts cover so much ground it would get repetitive.

I am fortunate to call Enrique a friend and have met up with him in Miami several times now. I've seen his lecture on the Marseilles as well as his experiential "Bookstore Of Crossed Destines." But the best times have been just hanging around Miami and getting to know one another.

And I’d be remiss if I didn’t share that I have had the privilege of Enrique reading the cards for me as the kids splashed in the pool. What juxtaposition! And a memory I'll always cherish.

We have corresponded for many years now and I have learned so much as he has developed his ways of working with Tarot. And life for that matter. We lost a mentalist but gained far more in return.

I wondered how such a unique person and his revolutionary thinking could be captured in a documentary but Tarology exceeded my expectations. It is a joy to see Enrique's way of perceiving the world made so explicit.

A lot of the "little" moments, such as Enrique with his family, added a dimension that grounded the film and gave me big smiles. Having met Vanessa and the children I was very touched to see them included in Tarology.

I cannot imagine anyone, reader or not, who won't find their boundaries and world view challenged and enhanced by this documentary. If you are already a fan of Enrique's work this is a no brainer. If you aren't familiar with his way of conceptualizing reality, such as The Language of the Birds, you are in for a treat that I envy.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Thanks Bill.

We're very proud to have been given the opportunity to make this film and we are thrilled by all of the kind reviews and feedback.
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Anyone know a link to where you can actually purchase the DVD? There doesn't seem to be alink on the main page http://www.tarologyfilm.com/.

Am I missing something?

Dave
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Dave

I believe it has been picked up by a major distributor and will be offered by them shortly. That is why Chris cannot offer it any longer.

Tony
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Tony - Thanks.

Dave
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
Who is the distributor?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
From Enrique on October 22
Quote:
We have BIG news:

Tarology will be distributed WORLDWIDE by FilmWorks Entertainment. We signed a deal this week and we're currently looking at a release date of January 2013.

Tarology will be available on Netflix, iTunes, VOD and retail stores, too.

More to come...
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Amazon now lists it for pre-order for $19.98.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Tarology Banner (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL