The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does your name make life harder or easier for you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Easily Pronounced Names May Make People More Likable"

<<Though it might seem impossible, and certainly inadvisable, to judge a person by their name, a new study suggests our brains try anyway.

The more pronounceable a person’s name is, the more likely people are to favor them.>>

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/0......Previous
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It's said that, in English anyway, the best name for fame is a dactyl followed by a trochee. (Abraham Lincoln, Aleister Crowley)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
As long as your not followed by a pterodactyl, I have no problem with that.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
905 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I LOVE my name! Smile
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
My life started to improve when I dicovered my true name and not the moniker my parents stuck me with
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
When I was younger I used to get frustrated correcting people who did not pronounce my last name correctly, but then in the magic community my last name gets recognized quickly (even though many still don't pronounce it correctly).
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
My name has caused me huge trouble. I was crossing the boarder one year from Canada to USA around 20 years ago. They did a check on me, asked me to get out of the vehicle. From there they handcuffed me and told me I was under arrest for armed robbery.

I thought it was some practical joke, but it only took a few minutes to realize how serious they were. They shackled my hands to my feet, and then to the bench. I swore my innocence, but they kept insisting I was the person. My full name, my birthday, place of birth was all the same. After an hour and a half of thinking I was about to go to jail for a crime I didn't commit, they took me in to be finger printed. A half hour after that, I was told that I was not the same guy. I had the same first, middle and last name, plus the same birthday, and birthplace.

Apparently there is a person with the exact same name as me who is wanted for 3 counts of armed robbery, and four counts of robbery.

5 years ago I needed to have a criminal record check done. I was requested to come back in for further finger printing. When I came back in for finger printing, they handcuffed me. I asked why they needed to do that, and they said it was just proceedure. They took my finger prints and a half hour later came back and told me there was another person with the exact same name, birthday, and birthplace who is wanted for armed robbery. A few of the officers had a chuckle about the coincidence, but I found it hard to laugh about.

I sure hope they catch this guy.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 11:46, Danny Kazam wrote:
My name has caused me huge trouble. I was crossing the boarder one year from Canada to USA around 20 years ago. They did a check on me, asked me to get out of the vehicle. From there they handcuffed me and told me I was under arrest for armed robbery.

I thought it was some practical joke, but it only took a few minutes to realize how serious they were. They shackled my hands to my feet, and then to the bench. I swore my innocence, but they kept insisting I was the person. My full name, my birthday, place of birth was all the same. After an hour and a half of thinking I was about to go to jail for a crime I didn't commit, they took me in to be finger printed. A half hour after that, I was told that I was not the same guy. I had the same first, middle and last name, plus the same birthday, and birthplace.

Apparently there is a person with the exact same name as me who is wanted for 3 counts of armed robbery, and four counts of robbery.

5 years ago I needed to have a criminal record check done. I was requested to come back in for further finger printing. When I came back in for finger printing, they handcuffed me. I asked why they needed to do that, and they said it was just proceedure. They took my finger prints and a half hour later came back and told me there was another person with the exact same name, birthday, and birthplace who is wanted for armed robbery. A few of the officers had a chuckle about the coincidence, but I found it hard to laugh about.

Fortunately for you, his fingerprints were on file.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Locally (well, locally when I'm at home, which hasn't been very much this last year), we have a county supervisor with the same first and last name as I. He and I don't see eye-to-eye on a variety of political issues. (Some friends have suggested that I issue press releases - From the desk of . . . . - with my own enlightened views.)

Recently, we've been getting letters in the mail from a collection agency, for a delinquent account we've never had, with a company of which I'd never heard until we got the first letter. (Apparently their strategy is to find everyone with a name similar to the deadbeat they seek, then send threatening letters to all of them, hoping that they get the right person in the wash.) When I phoned the collection agency, they tried to insist that I give them the last four digits of my Social Security number so they could determine to their satisfaction that I'm not the person they seek. (So, let me get this straight: you want to extort from me information to which you are not entitled under threat of continuing harrassment if I don't capitulate; is that it?)

All-in-all: some good, some bad.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Quote:

That's a pretty odd coincidence. I'd check all your various accounts and make sure you didn't have your identity stolen.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I'm reminded of an autobiographical article by the early-XXth century American artist, Neysa McMein - a name she adopted at least partially on numerological grounds. I think the article was called "What's in a name?" It was published in a fascinating anthology called "How I look at life." Her article began, "We all have our crosses to bear. I was named Marjorie . . ." She was quite a character in many respects. She was engaged to paint portraits of Warren G. Harding, Herbert Hoover, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Dorothy Parker, Janet Flanner, Katharine Cornell, Helen Hayes, Dorothy Thompson, Anatole France, Charlie Chaplin, Charles Evans Hughes and Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin, among others.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
Being named Max Awesome, I often get catalogs for "Matt" Awesome. It's really annoying.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
My name made it difficult in basic training, the TIs had fun with it.
It makes it difficult bookings as well, do I use a stage name, based on my name.

It makes it easy with telemarketers though"Nope, no one by that name..." or "If you cannot say it, don't call it"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Tony-

I assume it's pronounced Eye-ah-ko-vee-ello. Is that correct?
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 12:44, Frank Yuen wrote:
Quote:

That's a pretty odd coincidence. I'd check all your various accounts and make sure you didn't have your identity stolen.

Odd coincidence indeed. I know the person has already served time in jail in the past, from little I've been told about him. He is a real person strange as it is. For all I know, they may have caught up with him by now. They say the Mounties always get their man. Smile
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-29 13:47, mastermindreader wrote:
Tony-

I assume it's pronounced Eye-ah-ko-vee-ello. Is that correct?

No sir. We pronounce it, Eye ko vel low, family members in Italy pronounce it Yak E oh vel low

Personally, I'd rather be known as Tony Eye than as Tony Yak. Smile.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Thanks, Tony. Now I won't embarrass myself when we eventually meet up!

In the Italian neighborhood in which I was brought up, my name was usually pronounced Cassadeetch.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
According to Freakanomics, the name you are given can definitely have an effect on your success in life. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152822/
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I am Spartacus. There are a lot of pretenders to my throne. I ignore them.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-29 14:23, mastermindreader wrote:
Thanks, Tony. Now I won't embarrass myself when we eventually meet up!

In the Italian neighborhood in which I was brought up, my name was usually pronounced Cassadeetch.

Bob, you can call me whatever you want.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does your name make life harder or easier for you? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL