The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Baseball Card Collecting Once Again (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The thing is that with a fast ball you literally need to start your swing right after the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. A good batter often has to guess what's coming and where it's going to be. That's why the change-up is such a potent pitch.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-06-30 16:53, mastermindreader wrote:

Yes, I think that was it. If he had bet against his own team, that would have been unforgivable. I can't really place any moral blame at all, though, on anyone who bets on himself or his own team to win.

The Dowd Report says that Rose bet on various teams. When he bet on the Reds, supposedly (according to some witnesses) he only bet to win. However, John Dowd also said that Rose did NOT bet on the Reds when certain pitchers (a couple with low ERAs) started. Which contradicts what Rose said about betting on the Reds every night.

The Dowd Report is available for download:

http://www.thedowdreport.com/

What it is, for those who may not know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowd_Report
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-07-01 20:48, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-01 12:14, acesover wrote:
Talk aboaut throwing gas on a fire. Do you believe they would have done this to Pete Rose if he were Afro American? You know there would have been a huge uproar if they did. Just asking.

Yes- I believe they would have. And, no, the reaction wouldn't have been any different. I didn't see any major uproar when Barry Bonds got indicted. I'm amazed you'd want to make a racial issue out of this.

This was SO not racial and has NO racial component to it. 1919 not ONE of them was black.

God that is a ridiculous idea. I am glad you and I agree here Bob.

This is a gambling issue . Nothing more.

Bob just send me a PM lol. I am shocked what issues pop up. Now I bet a perfectly good thread goes away.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Danny-

I sent you a PM? Which Bob are you referring to?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think it would have been unforgivable (from the sport's point of view) if he'd bet against the Reds. As it was, it was still very serious for two reasons -

1) What he did still amounts to insider trading, and, more importantly (IMO);

2) The appearance of impropriety.

That being said, I think we're (long) past the point where reinstatement would be appropriate. I became a baseball fan in the mid-70s, and the Mets and Reds were always my favorite teams. I'm a Rose fan.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-07-02 00:16, mastermindreader wrote:
Danny-

You. I meant the only way to have a conversation not deleted is in PM.

Sorry not so clear. I just get frustrated with some of the directions even a baseball thread can take.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I heard long ago that the toughest thing in all of sports is to hit a pitched ball. Don't know so don't fact check me balducci.

When it Crosses the plate the fast ball looks no bigger than an aspirin tablet.

To this day one of the largest talent discrepancies in sports was when the Babe was at the plate.

Just this year I started to explain some of the things in baseball to my Spanish wife. Some of the HD coverage is astounding. Love to see Wriggly even if I am in Missouri.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-02 00:28, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Danny-

Sorry not so clear. I just get frustrated with some of the directions even a baseball thread can take.

No. You were clear. I misread "Bob send me a PM" as "Bob sent me a PM." That's what happens when I watch TV while I'm typing and have the wrong glasses on!

I agree, though. It seems that there haven't been many threads that politics or religion or race don't pop up. Even in the Medal of Honor thread. It usually goes something like this:

First poster writes- "That boxing match seemed suspicious. I think it was fixed."

Second poster- "Oh, you mean like the last election?"

or

First poster- "Anyone read any good fantasy fiction lately?"

Second poster- "You mean like the President's birth certificate?"

or, as in this thread

First poster- "Rose was justifiably suspended for gambling on baseball."

Second poster- "Oh yeah? Wouldn't have happened if he was black!"

:eek:
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Great conversation(s), all of you. I agree with Danny and Bob on the whole racial thing.

And nice article, Tom. SO MANY NUMBERS.......;(

And about the fastball; I can't help but throw in another one of my hometown heores--Aroldis Chapman. What more can I say? Has the fastest recorded fastball in history. A 90 MPH looping slider doesn't hurt, either. Smile

EDIT: When I say he's a hometown hero--he's from the DR. But he still plays in Cincy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Capra

Only die hard fans from the era might remember Buzz Capra. Only reason I know his is he is from my neighborhood. His mom literally lived a block from me.

Great, great people. One of my favorite people in sports was or should I say IS Buzz.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I was totally into collecting comic books. I've moved on, but I still have some first editions I'm hanging onto.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-07-02 01:07, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-02 00:28, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Danny-

No. You were clear. I misread "Bob send me a PM" as "Bob sent me a PM." That's what happens when I watch TV while I'm typing and have the wrong glasses on!

I agree, though. It seems that there haven't been many threads that politics or religion or race don't pop up. Even in the Medal of Honor thread. It usually goes something like this:

First poster writes- "That boxing match seemed suspicious. I think it was fixed."

Second poster- "Oh, you mean like the last election?"

or

First poster- "Anyone read any good fantasy fiction lately?"

Second poster- "You mean like the President's birth certificate?"

or, as in this thread

First poster- "Rose was justifiably suspended for gambling on baseball."

Second poster- "Oh yeah? Wouldn't have happened if he was black!"

Yep.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Remember how I said I was getting a free Moonlight Graham card? Well, I got the postage in the mail today. However, I did not get just one card. In fact, they decided to give me the entire set for free along with a nice personalized note!

I really was planning on buying the set, but now I own it all....Mr. and Mrs. Mike Kalibabky truly are great people, and I hope their scholarship fund continues to grow and help students in Chisholm, MN.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2928 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Wow.

You lucky devil. Smile

Sounds great. Enjoy the set.

Tom

Danny could be right with, "the toughest thing in all of sports is to hit a pitched ball."
Just think how many played baseball really well all their lives, in t-ball, little league, high school
and then in college, yet they fail to make the pros. It is a very special talent for sure.

Tom
The Daycare Magician Book
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazekids/the-daycare-magician/

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think if I closed my eyes and swung a few thousand times, I might catch a piece of one. Getting hit in the face by a prime Muhammad Ali and remaining standing, though...

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is unreal. It is why 3 out of 10 is an amazing average.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-02 20:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think if I closed my eyes and swung a few thousand times, I might catch a piece of one. Getting hit in the face by a prime Muhammad Ali and remaining standing, though...

Getting hit in the face by Ali and remaining standing is not exactly a "skill." Now AVOIDING getting hit by him would be a different story.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Or hitting him. I think I could hit Bob Feller before I could hit Ali.

Willie Pep once reportedly won a round against Jackie Graves on all three judges' cards without throwing a punch. His defense and ring generalship was *that* good.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-07-02 00:33, Dannydoyle wrote:
I heard long ago that the toughest thing in all of sports is to hit a pitched ball.

Especially a curve (more especially, one breaking toward you).
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-02 21:41, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Or hitting him. I think I could hit Bob Feller before I could hit Ali.

Oh yeah? I bet you wouldn't say that if Bob Feller was black!

(I couldn't resist.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Baseball Card Collecting Once Again (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL