The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Medal of Honor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-06-30 08:09, Woland wrote:
Hi Stone,

I thought that in Germany, all titles of nobility as such had been legally abolished, and those people who still wanted to be a Freiherr, a Graf, or a Prinz (I knew a Prinz) incorporated the titles into their family names.

No, the titles as such were retained. What was abolished was any legal rights or privileges or immunities connected to the titles. But there remain Freiherrs and Grafs and such. In fact, I had a Freiin as a student last semester. Her name was ****** von ******* und von ********. It was a real mouthful.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 17:42, rockwall wrote:
I think I heard that it's part of a first amendment right to be a bit of a blowhard, to lie about yourself, etc. It would be against the law to use these tall tales to commit fraud. Which begs the question. Is it against the law to make a false claim about minority status, (like being an Indian for example), to enhance your ability to get a job with an institution looking to improve their claims of diversity?

Quote:
On 2012-06-29 18:37, mastermindreader wrote:
We could also include those who claimed to have served proudly in the military, but who were actually AWOL most of the time. Or those who claim they wished they could have served in Viet Nam, but who got a series of deferments to avoid service all together, while at the the same time demonstrating in favor of the draft.

Yes, but those types of claims are more puffery meant to enhance a persons standing and different than the fraud in the example I listed which could be considered illegal. Your examples are more in line of, oh, I don't know, let's say someone making up large portions of thier autobiography to enhance their street cred or victimhood.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
LOL!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Gotta say I agree with Bob here. I mean, the biker bars may not take care of all of the false claims. But do we really want to have a European approach to this rather than an American one? It's the Europeans who think that titles are some kind of holy indication of superiority (even when the titles are earned rather than inherited).

Now, should I have to fight for my "doctor" title in a biker bar, I would surely lose. But my guess is that they would appreciate all the beer I paid for and consider me a good guy.

THAT is democracy.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The discovery of this kind of fraud and pretension usually brings a quick end to the liar's career, anyway.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Law or not if a claim is publicly made about a certain medam there is a group ready to rightfully discredit them. I knew the guy who headed up the SEAL association that verifies public claims of UDT/SEALS including the honors claims of actual SEALS such as Jessie Ventura who was a SEAL but not as tough of one he claims. I would guess other branches are the same way. You should have heard what they said about Kerry and I am talking years before he ran for president and swift boat.

Rule of thumb is if a guy out of the blue says he was spec war he likely wasn't. 165,433,076 people did not attend Woodstock.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2826 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 19:30, Magical Dimensions wrote:
What about the rap singers call themselves Doc. or Queen Latifah? Wouldn't this fall under the same thing?

If the singers and rappers can get away with giving themselfs titles, then everyone should be able to. LOL

I see loop holds here. Or double standards that can be played.

Ray

The guy who invented the disposable razor blade was named "King."
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
Impersonating a Police Officer

Section 90 Police Act 1996 creates several offences relating to the impersonation of police officers or the possession of articles of police uniform, namely:

impersonating a police officer (including a special constable);
making a statement or doing any act calculated falsely to suggest membership of a police force;
wearing a police uniform calculated to deceive;
possessing an article of police uniform.

The circumstances of the case may disclose more than one of these offences. It will seldom be necessary to charge more than one offence. You should select the most appropriate.

You should consider the motive of the defendant. Where the impersonation involves a threat to the safety of any person, or to property, or is done with a view to financial gain, then a prosecution should follow.

It seem to me a law something along those line could be made to fit the bill.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Medal of Honor (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL