The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Scotty York's Copper/Silver Transposition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Jonathan Townsend
I have no clue what is going on there.

cablerock
Your words are very accurate, "...become an extension of their own unique character..." However, if that is the focus I percieve failure would loom. Part of my thrust in what I say is to establish a base of quality. I believe one must master the basics of the practice before one ventures into the realm of leaping outside of the envelope and extending ones character into the magic. In the classes I teach I attempt to force my students to do my vanish in a standard way. But I make it clear that once mastered, they must take it where it will do them the most good. I also point out that I do not do that vanish in the standard way. The performance depends upon the circumstances in which it is performed. This is one point I stress and many people on this forum hit me for. One must understand the basics of communication and presentation before one can competently present the "Art" of what one is doing. How can anyone do magic when they can't even display a coin to the audience? It is just the simple idea of walking before running.
Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Al, thank you for your response, I completely agree with you. It is absolutely necessary to have a solid foundation. Maybe I read it here, I don't recall, but somebody said too many people want to be great before they are good. This rings true in magic and any other art. You have to master the basics, really master them to the point where you do not think about them any more. Only when you spend countless hours of practice can one even approach this point.

I love this quote, and it rings so true to this process. From Bruce Lee: "Before I studied the art, a punch to me was just like a punch, a kick just like a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick no longer a kick. Now that I've understood the art, a punch is just like a punch, a kick just like a kick."

Anyways, I hope it was clear that I was not discounting practice, as it is the foundation on which the art is built. But with that being said, it is merely the foundation. It is the palette with/on which you can create your art, which is the real magic. The larger your palette the more freedom you have.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The fun starts at about 2:30 into the video
You might want to find a different audience managment strategy than the one shown.

wait

wait

wait...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Cablerock
You have no idea how much you ring my bell. I have spent a majority of my life in Tae Kwon Do.
I have competed in full contact competiion. I have been in the ring with fifth degree black belts.
Never beat them but at least I get their respect.
Your words make me think of golf. I once tried to master that sport. For three summers I would go to the golf driving range twice a week and hit 2 or three buckets of balls. Broke 2 clubs. The heads just flipped off one day. I never mastered it. However, after three years I realized one thing. To play the game one must hit the ball. It is fascinating that one day that insight overwhelmed me.
Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Al If BS was electricity you would
l be a powerhouse
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Al, What special move did you use on the heads of those golf clubs? Could be another classic in Magic!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2012-07-02 15:27, Al Schneider wrote:
Cablerock
You have no idea how much you ring my bell. I have spent a majority of my life in Tae Kwon Do.
I have competed in full contact competiion. I have been in the ring with fifth degree black belts.
Never beat them but at least I get their respect.
Your words make me think of golf. I once tried to master that sport. For three summers I would go to the golf driving range twice a week and hit 2 or three buckets of balls. Broke 2 clubs. The heads just flipped off one day. I never mastered it. However, after three years I realized one thing. To play the game one must hit the ball. It is fascinating that one day that insight overwhelmed me.
Al Schneider

LMAO!! It took you 3 years to realize you suck at golf.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
My wise father-in-law (91 years young next week) has wise words to be used in many situations.

The ones that applies here are most people's game(golf) improve when after they take lessons from a true pro.

I know that is true (not with golf) but with my harmonici(I have them from A -minor to a G(high range.

I learned not only things to do, but errors I wasn't even aware of.

This video reminds me of my approach to magic in the 70's and 80's. It also reminds me of my early comedy days...and the fact that comedy clubs are often bars with stages. These days my performing style (and character off stage) is much different.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Scotty York's Copper/Silver Transposition (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL