The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gettysburg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I suppose we are all drawn toward certain things or events. One for me is the Battle of Gettysburg. Perhaps because I had to learn Lincoln's address in school. Next year will be the 150th anniversary.

Been there several times. Once it was about this date and about this hot. Very hot, very still, very quiet. Think me wacko, but I could hear the battle noise and yelling. Very eerie. Lotta death that few days. Think I will try to go back next year for that anniversary...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-01 09:22, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Think me wacko, but I could hear the battle noise and yelling.

You're not wacko. Gettysburg is haunted. And no, I'm not kidding. Lots and lots of ghosts there.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'd be curious as to where you live (or lived) that your upbringing focused so much on Gettysburg. I was raised in Illinois, so naturally the history of Lincoln was taught extensively. For my son, raised in Alabama, the opposite was true. Go figure...

I've never been to Gettysburg, but I'd imagine it would be quite sobering and humbling.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
One of my very favorite places. I've been there for the anniversary of the battle, they have a lot going on, but weather-wise, not recommended.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
See Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter for an interesting amusing Gettysburg take.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Gettysburg is one of my favourite places to visit.

Can't recall the name of the place, but there was this GREAT restaurant that was in a very old house. The tables were placed in what would have been bedrooms, etc... Narrow halls and stairs. A table hopping musician and fantastic food. Any one know this place?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Strongly suspect you're thinking of the Dobbin House Tavern.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-01 11:05, Michael Baker wrote:
I'd be curious as to where you live (or lived) that your upbringing focused so much on Gettysburg. I was raised in Illinois, so naturally the history of Lincoln was taught extensively. For my son, raised in Alabama, the opposite was true. Go figure...

I've never been to Gettysburg, but I'd imagine it would be quite sobering and humbling.

Michael-

I am from Columbus, Ohio with some years of youth spent in Boston and Buffalo, NY. I would say a teacher who was fascinated with the Civil War got me started. It is a bit of a fur piece to Gettysburg, but just the better part of a day driving.

Yes, Gettysburg is a powerful experience. It is getting commercialized, but folks are trying to keep the essence of what it is and was. A few years back I joined a well-known horseman named John Lyons for a long weekend of Gettysburg by saddle. We were taken to places that are off-limits otherwise, and we camped in an area that was used to bury the detritus of the many amputations. Great ghost stories at night and a bit unsettling.

I have seen the Ken Burns film 5 or 6 times, and Ashokan Farewell is one of my favorite pieces of music.

Jim

p.s. Thanks, Stone! The odd thing is, I am certain this was NOT my imagination...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I was raised almost as far from Gettysburg as you can be in the continental U.S. For me, it just took one reading of Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels and one visit. Hooked ever since.

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-01 11:17, LobowolfXXX wrote:
One of my very favorite places. I've been there for the anniversary of the battle, they have a lot going on, but weather-wise, not recommended.

Agree, except it does give you a bit of a feel for what it must have been like. Of course, shorts and a smoothie kind of ruin the moment. The battle certainly was not during a heat wave like what we are experiencing now, but it was 87 degrees at the time of Pickett's Charge...

And, yes, I had forgotten about Killer Angels- just a really great read!

Jim
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-01 11:49, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Right. Lots of ghosts there, too.

(For those who have forgotten: http://stoneunhinged.wordpress.com/2006/......part-1/)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Hey, Stone...you think you'll ever reside in the USA again?

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I dunno. I've heard of people who retire after thirty or forty years in Europe going home. I'll have to wait and see.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Quote:
On 2012-07-01 11:49, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Thanks.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It's also the 100th anniversary of the FED next year. As Abraham Lincoln issued the stuff that we call money to win the Civil War, rather than off the bankers at interest, so it maybe a good time next year to evoke Abraham Lincoln’s' spirit to slay this ghost in the machine that haunts America. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-07-01 09:40, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:

You're not wacko. Gettysburg is haunted. And no, I'm not kidding. Lots and lots of ghosts there.

Do the reinactors do a ritual of possesion before doing their stuff - and an exorcism after?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
My grandfather just returned to Gettysburg for a while recently for his 70th college reunion.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-07-02 10:20, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do the reinactors do a ritual of possesion before doing their stuff - and an exorcism after?

I think if you asked that question to actors who have played historical figures, many of them would agree that something like what you describe occurs.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have been booked in Gettysburg a few times, I never went to the battle field, but I have been to Valley Forge, Washington's crossing state park, and the Brandywine battle field many times. We have revolutionary war grave stones on people's front yards around here.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-02 10:20, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can't beat a good exorcism. I'm aboubt due for one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gettysburg (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL