The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The End of an Era...! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
It is bitter sweet that I announce that as of June 29, 2012, I am no longer the House Magician at Crystals Pizza in Irving, Texas. I performed at Crystals and was part of their culture for 10 Years, 1 month, and 19 days. It was a good ride that has finally come to and end.

Sadly, the restaurant has been dying a slow death for the last few years now. Back when I first landed this gig, the restaurant was a lively place always jam packed full of people with lines backed out the door. Over the few years, it's been dwindling down to near extinction and I have been told that the restaurant will likely be closed by the Fall...year end at the latest.

50 years ago, Crystals Pizza arrived in Irving, Texas as soon thereafter, there was long chain of Crystals scattered all over Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. As the years went on, they all began to close up shop leaving the original Crystals as the last...and soon, it will cease to exist as well!

Restaurants come and go and I have many leads and should have a replacement for Crystals hopefully by the end of the month. Fearing the end was growing closer, I found a new restaurant to fill my Friday Nights back in January and decided I no longer wanted to work restaurants on Sunday's so I could spend more time with my family. So I am only out 1 full day of work.

Some final shots of the place. Here I am having just moved out all of props, sound system, signage, etc. from my now empty stage...

The good news is that there was a small party taking place while I was loading out and I decided to go out on an up and did some magic for this group. These were the ONLY people in the place at the time which has been very typical as of late....

Also, over the years, Crystals Pizza has been the home to the Dallas Magic Club's lecture series. Many greats have passed thru our doors, done their lecture, watch my act, and have offered their friendship and their knowledge to me. Here are just a small few...

Wayne Houchin...

Jonathan Levit...

Jimmy Fingers...

Jeff McBride...

Axel Hecklau...

Jeff Hobson...

Jay Sankey...

Gimpy...

Bizzaro...

...along with countless other names in the magic fraternity who came out to share their love of magic with many! I will have great memories of Crystals Pizza!

I feel very strange writing this out to everyone, but I guess they say that all good things must at some point come to an end! It's a new beginning! As one door closes, many more shall open.

To close, I shall say goodbye to an old friend...

Christopher Lyle
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

...and one of the coolest moments for me during my tenure at the restaurant...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFBGn_ES0......ure=plcp
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Sad news, Chris. I'm very sorry to hear it.

I trust that you have already begun working to fill in you now vacant time slots. I'd say, "Best of luck," but I know that you don't need luck: your hard work will see it through.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Sorry to hear this. I look forward to hearing you have picked up a regular replacement gig.
Charlie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Very sad news. I was always impressed by the look of the place in your photos.

-Mary Mowder
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Love the cards on the ceiling. Whoever takes over the building will say "WTF is this??"

Jim
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
REALLY sad news! Despite the saddeness of the situation, I want to congratulate you for being so positive about your future as magician.

Heads up guys!
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Sucks big time. What caused the slow demise of the restaurant?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-01 20:20, slyhand wrote:
Sucks big time. What caused the slow demise of the restaurant?

The current owner really just ran the place right into the toilet (and he knows it too)! It's very sad. When I was booked to perform there, it was by a well established business person who ran many successful businesses. But he was getting up there in years and didn't want the stress of it all, so he sold off his restaurants and retired. Living out his days on the Golf Course last I heard...lol!

I don't really wish to bad mouth anyone but I will say that the current owner of Crystals has the Midis Touch! Everything he touches turns into a muffler!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Christopher, thanks for always sharing your amazing journey with us. I worked in a restaurant while in college and even kept the job part time because it was so much fun. And...it was sold and the new owner ran it into the ground. A sadness comes over because of the emotional ties.

We can't wait to hear of your new successes!
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Sad story. Can't wait for the announcement for your new venue.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Christopher, The MA Card on Ceiling was good but I think the best thing that ever happened at the restaurant was when the members of the Café' donated money and magic items to a young man that I believe has a single mother. I know that you had video taped it and maybe you can show that again. That was a highlight for me, for you and what you did.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
461 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
Crystals lost a treasure in you my friend!
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
At least it is not the end of the world Chris. I am sure you will find another spot. I hope you the best.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Sad to hear it, but many congrats on such a long run! I'm still in mourning over the closure of my longest restaurant...7 years. You really feel like the place is home and the staff is family. A talent such as yours will easily catch on somewhere else soon. Best wishes my friend!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-02 01:58, Rodney Palmer wrote:
Christopher, The MA Card on Ceiling was good but I think the best thing that ever happened at the restaurant was when the members of the Café' donated money and magic items to a young man that I believe has a single mother. I know that you had video taped it and maybe you can show that again. That was a highlight for me, for you and what you did.

Rodney

Rodney,

I removed this footage from You Tube and the Café' b/c I was getting a lot of negative comments both on here and You Tube from folks who felt I was scamming everyone. To protect the childs feelings, I felt it best to remove it.

One of MANY awesome things that happened inside those walls.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Chris...sorry tp see your run end at Crystals...but as you told me a while back, everytime you came to work you were wondering if the doors would be open or padlocked. (Also you had said you had cut back on your days there.) Now you can be freed from Crystals and move on to a better venue to make up that time.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-05 09:50, Mowee wrote:
Chris...sorry tp see your run end at Crystals...but as you told me a while back, everytime you came to work you were wondering if the doors would be open or padlocked. (Also you had said you had cut back on your days there.) Now you can be freed from Crystals and move on to a better venue to make up that time.

Right you are!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I know you will find a great spot to replace this one... GREAT SET OF PHOTOS OF ALL YOUR MAGICAL PALS. BE WELL.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Thanks for sharing this Christopher. I'm confident you'll find your way to another hot spot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The End of an Era...! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL