The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Setting up a Mem-Deck in front of Spectators (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Dayton
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of David Dayton
In Mnemonica, Juan Tamariz suggests several ways to set up a memorized deck right in front of the spectators, including card tricks which involve the spectators. I wanted to know whether anyone has had success setting up a mem-deck as a card trick with specators, and if so, how was the trick received?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2544 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Yes. And very well.

In general, the tricks used to set up a deck are necessarily longer than an average trick. The key is to keep the pace moving and keep it as entertaining as possible. Don't just play it as a filler bit until you get to "the good stuff." Make those tricks real events and keep the excitement level high. Maybe not Tamariz-level excitement, but excitement nonetheless.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
I have used it to great success as well. A few things you might want to consider (these have helped me) think of the deck in sections, for example I use the the top 16 the next 15 and the last last 21. Mainly because I use the 31 card deal thing from Mnemonica and I also have a nice shAnuffle bored effect with the last 21 cards..

I find by keeping the cards into groups it helps keep the effects flowing as you are resetting the deck. another idea is to mix effects that use blocks if corrected cards in between effects where you are resetting the order.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3852 Posts

Profile of JanForster
You'll find many variations of Hugard's "A Subtle Game" (see "Encyclopaedia of Card Tricks") or find an own variation (I did) of it. It is a quite strong trick in itself and does exactly what you are looking for. I use it sometimes. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
458 Posts

Profile of mfeld
I've also heard that there's a very interesting method for getting into stack in front of spectator's on the 21 DVD (Magic of Sweeden)
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Or follow me on Twitter - @magicianmike
And Instagram - @magicianmichaelfeldman

Check out my newest book with Ryan Plunkett: A New Angle
https://www.ryancplunkett.com/project/anewangle
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
While I don't do this, I'm thinking there are a lot of effects you can do with a portion of a set up deck.

One of those might be a good place to start and get some practice without having to do the whole deck.

-Mary Mowder
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2544 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Mary raises a good point here. Using a half stack is a great way to achieve effects with both a shuffled (half) deck and a memorized (half) deck.

Mnemonica is filled with effects that only require a half stack and in fact, Tamariz names his favorite effect that he uses to set up a half stack. It's the first trick in the half stack section and is called "Memory Jumble." It's much quicker than the setup for "A Subtle Game" as Jan mentions above, which is a great choice if you do need to set up an entire stack.

Don't overlook the power of a deck switch either. There are many excellent switches out there, both for standing and seated work. One of my favorites is freely available at Simon Aronson's website and is called "Shuffle Tracking". You ring in a memdeck during the course of the trick. Be careful to ensure that your memdeck stuff is as powerful as this trick or you risk upstaging yourself with your setup routine!

Here's the link: http://www.simonaronson.com/shuffletracking.htm
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
David Dayton
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of David Dayton
Many thanks to all. Your ideas have helped and inspired. This has now become my #1 resource for all things magic.
tomboston
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
88 Posts

Profile of tomboston
I've had sucess using "Memory Jumble" from Mnemonica to set up the half stack. Then I do a few tricks with the half stack before doing a memory demo of calling out the second half, similar to "A Subtle Game". As Jan mentioned above, it is a very strong trick in itself and you now have the whole deck stacked over the course of a couple of tricks.

Tom
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
To tomboston,
For setting up the first half deck you use Memory Jumble which is a card memory effect,and for setting up the second half deck you also use card calling which is also card memory effect.
Will it appear to be repeated effect and bored spectators?
I never perform A Subtle Game to sett up whole deck because I am affraid the long procedure of calling out whole deck will bored spectator,
does it play well for real world audience?thanks
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3852 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, it does. But you've to be a showman making it interesting and spectacular. I use 4 spectators to speed up. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
tomboston
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
88 Posts

Profile of tomboston
To sychou,
Despite its name, "Memory Jumble" is not a card memory trick at all and does not involve card calling. The effects that set up the deck in these 2 stages are not similar. Tamariz describes several mulit-stage methods for setting up the deck in one of the appendices of Mnemonica.

Tom
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Sorry,I checked again and "Memory Jumble" is a card divination effect with card mixing face up and face down.
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
413 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Hi,
There is a good DVD called Euphoria by Adrian Guerra. In it he explains his routines for creating the Tamariz stack from a spectators shuffled deck. I would recommend anyone who uses the Mnemonica stack to buy the DVD.
I have tried an alternative to his separating the top half of the stack from the bottom 26 to 52 of the shuffled cards.
I use a phoenix deck which has a subtle one way back design implemented into all the Phoenix decks. You just have to reverse the direction of the backs of the bottom half of the stacked deck before your performance and as long as you are careful who and how the spectators shuffle the whole deck you can easily sort the top half from the bottom half without looking at the faces of the cards as Adrian Guerra does in his DVD.
Adrian Guerra has a few tricks to get the shuffled deck into Tamariz stack.

You could also reduce the amount of sorting if you only gave the spectators half the stack to shuffle and you then false shuffled your half. When the spectator returns his shuffled half deck you could false shuffle this into your half of the stacked deck. Then continued with Adrian's routine to sort out the remainder of the cards.
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
413 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2015, TazBo wrote:
Hi,
There is a good DVD called Euphoria by Adrian Guerra. In it he explains his routines for creating the Tamariz stack from a spectators shuffled deck. I would recommend anyone who uses the Mnemonica stack to buy the DVD.
I have tried an alternative to his separating the top half of the stack from the bottom 26 to 52 of the shuffled cards.
I use a phoenix deck which has a subtle one way back design implemented into all the Phoenix decks. You just have to reverse the direction of the backs of the bottom half of the stacked deck before your performance and as long as you are careful who and how the spectators shuffle the whole deck you can easily sort the top half from the bottom half without looking at the faces of the cards as Adrian Guerra does in his DVD.
Adrian Guerra has a few tricks to get the shuffled deck into Tamariz stack.

You could also reduce the amount of sorting if you only gave the spectators half the stack to shuffle and you then false shuffled your half. When the spectator returns his shuffled half deck you could false shuffle this into your half of the stacked deck. Then continued with Adrian's routine to sort out the remainder of the cards.

The deck sorting from a shuffled borrowed deck is stack independent. There are many routines on this DVD that are stack independent.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
As soon as you are handed a shuffled deck you can just force a card then seperate half stacks while looking for their selection. I use a cull I think is John Riggs cause it's simple and looks like you are just spreading through the cards. Once the half stack is separated you can stack it in the next couple of tricks while looking for other cards and the like or asking some questions or just removing certain cards. Its surprising how quickly you can stack half a deck. A little tip that I use is that if you stack say 20 to 26 first in a face up pile then turn them face down then do the same for say 13 to 20 then turn them face down and throw on top of the previous cards you not only get a hap hazard feel but it almost looks like you are mixing the cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Setting up a Mem-Deck in front of Spectators (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL