The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurants and Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wouldn't that be better PM?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
In hindsight it would have been...please forgive me.
link8822
View Profile
New user
Central Jersey, NJ
66 Posts

Profile of link8822
I wouldn't mind telling other magicians about my shows or where I work unless I have good reason to worry about that specific magician trying to undercut me or 'steal' gigs from me. I think magicians watching other magicians is a great way to advance the art and it seems like a win-win situation: the spectator magician may learn new ways of dealing with spectators and the performer gets another seat in the house.

I also think we shouldn't worry about other magicians stealing our customers, especially if the magician is indeed better. If you've already got a restaurant gig, you've already sold yourself to the restaurant & they like YOU, not some other guy. You already have a big advantage over everyone else....and in my experience, restaurants aren't flooding with magicians so there's usually a lot of options out there & hence little incentive to steal a gig.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Interesting...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 13:06, Dynamike wrote:
The #1 way a magician will try to steal another magician's job is by undercutting the price. All managers are not the same. Some just don't care. I notice that by certain managers/owners I see in the Detroit area from the Mideast. It is the culture to those in the Mideast. They would cheat to get the lowest fee.

I have had this happen to me several times. I remember a magician went after my job, he under cut me and charged less. I got another place that same week and filled up the night very fast. About three weeks went by and they guy got himself fired.

The restaurat manager that fired me had the honor of calling me up and offering my old job back. I had the pleasure of saying that I could not do it because that night was now filled up by another restaurant booking me.

I have had that happen to me about 8 times when I was performing in Chicago. And it is why I don't partner up or use a sub to fill in for me. Yes, I have had managers want to save some money by booking the cheeper guy. But in the long run they often find out they get what they pay for. And there are several reasons why I charge for what I do besides my skill - and my experience.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Rampage
View Profile
New user
Florida
62 Posts

Profile of Rampage
Mike & Koysta's team of magicians do a great job. I have been to several venues across Orlando and seen them perform. I have seen Koysta at the Melting Pot and at Del Frisco's. I have also been to several Orlando Magic Basketball games where these guys perform and they are very entertaining and good at what they do. I always enjoy watching Magic no matter where it is. Since I'm not a professional I do get nervous to perform a trick in front of other magicians but that is something I am working on, it seems that alcohol reduces the anxiety for me LOL.

Quote:
On 2012-07-07 01:25, eatonmagic wrote:
The problem IMO is that WAY too many magicians have huge and inflated egos. One minute they'll be your best friend and the next they're trying to undercut you. Me and a friend of mine always refer to the seagulls in the movie "Finding Nemo" when they keep saying, "Mine, mine, mine, mine!" lol.

That was one of the main contributing factors why we decided to start up our restaurant business company. Now, magicians don't have to do any selling whatsoever. We have our corporate office handle all the talking and negotiating. All the magician has to do is show up. We do an assessment with each potential magican as well as the restaurant owner(s) and/or managers. Each magician also gets their own page on our national directory website so they can promote their own business. Whatever shows they book are theirs. We do not interfere with those just handle the restaurant magic. They also receive a certification if the choose to attend our training seminar as well as customized business cards. Since everything is handled from a business model such as this, the restaurant to take us more seriously. We also attend several national restaurant trade shows and network with other nationally recognized restaurant groups as well as their marketing departments.

So, we welcome magicians to come into our partner restaurants and enjoy food, drink and fun.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
When you are a professional magicain, you are in business in the market. When you are in the market, you have competition and you have to compete. Competition is simply part of free market capitalism and is a fact of life when you become a professional in anything you do. However, I still like to talk with other magicians and exchange ideas with fellow magicians. But let's face it when you are a pro, you are a businessman and a business always has competition. Competition is what helps make free market capitalism efficient and give customers a choice in the marketplace.

Whether you own your own business as a magician or you decide to go to work for Restaurant Magic Business LLC, you compete to earn your keep. That's just the way it is in business. However, that does not mean magicians can't talk to each other in a civilized manner or not learn from each other despite the realities of competing in the marketplace.

Personally, I wouldn't steal or attempt to undercutt another magician who already has a gig because it's simply bad and unethical business practices and poor etiquette towards fellow magicians. I have walked away from restaurants once I was told by management that they already have a magician working their restaurant and made no attempt to undercutt or try to steal the gig. I simply told the GM that I wasn't interested in performing at their place given that they already have a magician working for them and thanked them for their time.

But, if a gig is up for grabs and nobody has gotten the gig yet, then yes, I think it's perfectly fine to compete for the gig. You have to earn what you get. Nothing in this world is free. Once the gig has been rewarded though to a magician, then I think it's off limits to other magicians.

Now if a magician breaks some of those unwritten rules and etiquette, then I simply just won't have anything to do with them (even if it was not me with whom they broke those unwritten rules and etiquette on). Just my two cents. I do think there are some unwritten rules that professional magician has to follow when dealing with other magicians and competing for gigs in the marketplace. Not stealing the gigs of other magicians and not attempting to undercut other magicians for a gig they already have are some of those rules.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
I honestly quite enjoy other magicians to come see me. I am young; only 21; and always look to learn. But where I live there are 3 "types" of magicians: 1. Those who help and have fun 2. A magic club here that thinks they are the best... ugh... 3. hobbyists. So when the awsome magicians around come by I offer to let them show something and sit back... they're doing my work for me. Same with those who do magic as a hobby... though I promote the local magic store here ( we're good buds). And when the egotistic ones come in... I say hey and ask if they want to see anything... then I just smile. I am one of the few working magicians in the area... because I REALLY try... they know more than me (for the most part)... but I'm working. So... it's all win win for me. I either learn something or get a pat on the back because I'm doing what I love!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurants and Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL