The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mark Mason Presents X-act By Mike Kirby (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Your assumption is right, reset is minimal. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
bob44leo
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of bob44leo
Concerning Grail versus X-Act workability, there is an issue of professional magician versus amateur. If I was a professional doing magic daily or weekly the "move" required with the Grail is attainable. If I'm a amateur I might be able to master the "move" but if I didn't do the trick for a month I'd be very concerned of my ability to perform it flawlessly. Not so with X-Act. It's super clean and reliable. I love it and based on the effort and materials put into making it, it's a bargain.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Just for the record, I definitely see Platt's point on this. To the audience, the tricks look the same - almost. And, there's a lot to be said for doing this without a fully gaffed deck.

But, personally I prefer to do this without any suspicious moves - no matter how minimal they may be. Peter Nardi handles it extremely well. Here's the demo again showing the possible outcomes. The "move" occurs at the 3:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiRA9r0gSvI&feature=youtu.be

For me, it's worth using a gaffed deck (and what a gaffed deck it is!) to accomplish this effect in a totally clean and consistent manner. After all, isn't that what ACAAN and CAAN effects are supposed to be all about?

X-Act duplicates the CAAN effect without any suspicious moves. That's why I think it's so great.

Robert
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
[quote]On 2012-12-10 09:37, Robert M wrote:
For me, it's worth using a gaffed deck (and what a gaffed deck it is!) to accomplish this effect in a totally clean and consistent manner. After all, isn't that what ACAAN and CAAN effects are supposed to be all about?

I agree with Robert, if I have a gimmicked deck, I'll have it do as much as possible. XA has quite a bit more gaffing in it than the Grail. But I'll take a little bit more ease in accomplishing it. Any ACAAN or CAAN is a trade off of what someone is willing to give up. For me I'm happier with X-Act, but someone who wants a little cleaner deck will like the Grail. If you buy either and don't like it, you can probably sell it on the Café.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On 2012-12-10 09:37, Robert M wrote:
Just for the record, I definitely see Platt's point on this. To the audience, the tricks look the same - almost. And, there's a lot to be said for doing this without a fully gaffed deck.

But, personally I prefer to do this without any suspicious moves - no matter how minimal they may be. Peter Nardi handles it extremely well. Here's the demo again showing the possible outcomes. The "move" occurs at the 3:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiRA9r0gSvI&feature=youtu.be

X-Act duplicates the CAAN effect without any suspicious moves. That's why I think it's so great.

Robert

Peter does handle it well on a shoot as many times as you like youtube demo . Seen in person live it wasn't smooth at all .Not saying he can't do it but if the dealer struggles it can be a worry .
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Right, nanaswan. I own The Grail, and sometimes the move would go well, and other times it would not. So I shelved it. Maybe now I'll open it up again and try it out, but now that I have X-act I don't see a reason why. Some people may have a better knack to do the move than I do. And don't get me wrong- the move is not difficult, but in my case I could not always get the correct outcome.

With X-act, the move is done before anyone would even suspect a move to be made. It would have been done sometime before the 3:00 mark in The Grail video. It's that clean and simple. And it is virtually foolproof, although I say that with caution.
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Matt Mello has a very similar effect on his Modern Mentalism DVD that uses no gimmicks. In fact I highly doubt a spectator would notice a difference between Matt's effect and X-act.
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-10 19:32, sabitu wrote:
Matt Mello has a very similar effect on his Modern Mentalism DVD that uses no gimmicks. In fact I highly doubt a spectator would notice a difference between Matt's effect and X-act.

I saw a similar post like this in another X-act thread. If the Matt Mello version is as clean, or cleaner than X-Act or Grail, then Matt's version might very well be the true 'Grail' of CAAN effects? I will have to see to give my final verdict. Can anyone who has this weigh in here? Thanks for sharing, definitely sparked my interest in this DVD you speak of. Smile
Posting ever so slightly.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 18:49, Silver Glove Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-10 19:32, sabitu wrote:

I saw a similar post like this in another X-act thread. If the Matt Mello version is as clean, or cleaner than X-Act or Grail, then Matt's version might very well be the true 'Grail' of CAAN effects? I will have to see to give my final verdict. Can anyone who has this weigh in here? Thanks for sharing, definitely sparked my interest in this DVD you speak of. Smile

so long for "very similar": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLsvKEqSQtE
It's more similar to Insane, Subzero and others.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 18:57, paperinick wrote:

so long for "very similar": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLsvKEqSQtE
It's more similar to Insane, Subzero and others.

Yes the methods are completely different. I was referring to both effects being similar (if not the same) from the spectator's point of view.

P.S. Sorry to go off topic, but to see a better performance of Matt's effect take a look at Craig Petty performing it at the 11 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFRSYeBxLYA
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
334 Posts

Let me just say, I dig the fact Mark uses old box covers from previous effects. I opened my copy of XA and I could see the box was an old "Solo" cover before. Way to be eco friendly Mark!
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
I don't think he is reusing old covers: he has just them print them both sides with different tricks, so depending the way they are wrapped they can box different tricks. Smile
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
334 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-11 19:55, paperinick wrote:
I don't think he is reusing old covers: he has just them print them both sides with different tricks, so depending the way they are wrapped they can box different tricks. Smile

Either way, its still smart and eco friendly. Plus I'm sure it saves on a little cash.
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
westo
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of westo
Perfect for me, does Wat I need it to do, got it in 5 days from the US . Happy customer.
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Question for Mark,

Any plans to offer replacements for those that loose their buttons(lol)

Or need to replace the box?
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
I will second magicHart's question. Box and button refills would be nice.
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Great premise. Love the CAAN plot. The only downside if there is one is that you have to carry that deck with you. Apart from that X-Act is a perfect solution to the CAAN. Very clever,incredibly devious & a down right killer. G.Ewen
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
I have tried many of these types of effects and have to say that this one in my opinion is near the top of the tree. I also like insane which is a great effect but this seems cleaner and a little bit smoother in performance.

Highly recommended .

Barry
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Check out Jamie Grant's review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAQxoE0_g_Q

LOVE Magic Friday's!

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mark Mason Presents X-act By Mike Kirby (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL