The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something everyone should view » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
The most Iconic images in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwIsE-awTjU&feature=related

Don't miss this. Truly fasinating. Makes one...I don't know what to say.

It is only 5 minutes 34 seconds out of your life. Watch a few seconds of it and you will watch it all.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I find it sad that so many of the "iconic" images depict man's inhumanity to man. War, starvation, death, suicide, terrorism, jingoism, intolerance, disease, poverty.....

Maybe I could have done without that today.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 14:10, Slide wrote:
I find it sad that so many of the "iconic" images depict man's inhumanity to man. War, starvation, death, suicide, terrorism, jingoism, intolerance, disease, poverty.....

Maybe I could have done without that today.

Just a reminder to be thankful for what you have, remember what has happened. As they say, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

So I don't believe a day should go by that you don't need to think about this. Not dwell on it but never forget it. .

So I say again, no you could not have done without this. Maybe you have done without this to long. Lest you forget.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Who is this race of war-mongering violence worshippers you speak of? They are a scary bunch indeed.

Now break out the fireworks.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Maybe Slide will tell us a story that we need to hear. So let us listen.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Here's the problem. YOU don't get to define anyone else's experience. If your own inflated sense of self importance or lack thereof is causing you to berate those who were actually personally affected by an event, you are the one with the problem.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 15:12, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 14:33, Slide wrote:
Dude, I was at ground zero on 9/11. Please don't lecture me on forgetting.

What is your point? Do you feel that gives you the privledge to forget?

As a third-party observer who's at no risk of getting offended or excessively upset at the escalation here, let me offer this:

I think we started to go off the rails at or shortly after this point. So, taking Aces's questions at face value, we can infer that he simply missed the point of Slide's previous comment (first question), and asked a second question in a way that could be construed as antagonistic (regardless of whether it was intended that way).

So let me back up to Slide's comment about being at ground zero. I think (in fact, I'm pretty certain, but I don't want to put words in Slide's mouth) that what he might be this comment was not that he has any special right to forget, but rather, simply, that there is no danger of his forgetting. He doesn't have to watch the video, or engage in any discussion, or read commemorative articles or news specials...he's was there; he's not going to forget; don't worry about his doing so.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pre-holiday.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Well, Aces, I don't have the option of forgetting. I spent months taking food each day to my neighbors who had lost fathers, brothers, wives and sisters. I held the hand of my firemen friends who had gone to over 50 funerals in a 30 day period. I led over 1000 people in my town singing This Land is Your Land while the smoke was still billowing in the distance. I sat at my daughter's high school graduation where scholarship after scholarship was awarded to former graduates of the high school who had lost their lives in 9/11. I watched the towers come down and walked the 40 blocks to my car to get my mother in law out of the city. I sat in the memorial services for those in my church who died and who are remembered each day. I was there a few days later to see for myself and that image will never leave my mind. And now, I get the opportunity to watch friends of mine who were first responders die of cancer they contracted on site. I think about my own exposure and if I too will face lung cancer because I was there that day.

So, no, I don't have the option of forgetting.

What I truly despise is people who weren't there co-opting 9/11 for their own agenda. You weren't there.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Don't get Landmark started on "This Land is Your Land."

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 14:33, Slide wrote:
Dude, I was at ground zero on 9/11. Please don't lecture me on forgetting.

Me too. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks from inhaling the fumes.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I'm sorry to hear that scratch. I hope you are okay now.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 15:49, Pecan_Creek wrote:
Here's the problem. YOU don't get to define anyone else's experience. If your own inflated sense of self importance or lack thereof is causing you to berate those who were actually personally affected by an event, you are the one with the problem.

So in essence what you are saying is that my experiences in Nam or experiences of others in, let us keep on topic and use 9/11, are because of out beliefe in our self importance? Wow that is quite a theory you have there.

Let me ask you something. Have you ever seen someone killed or mulitated other than in a movie? I mean really up close that you can tell they lost control of their bowels and just a second ago they were as healthy and vibrant as I hope you are now? Well if you have it is not something you will forget, especially if it could have just as easily been you. Until you hve walaked in someones shoes do not judge them. I just do not see how if someone was on the scene of 9/11 and experienced it first hand can forget it. I honestly do not know if that makes one a better or lesser man.

That is not what the original post was about. It was just to show a few people a time capsule of several events of the 20th century. Unfortunately someone had to twist it. What a surprise here on the Café. I should have known better.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I wasn't there--I'm glad I wasn't.

Whether we remember, or fail to remember, 9-11, Oklahoma City, The Holocaust, Pearl Harbor, The Maine, The Alamo, Masada or whatever, one thing holds true:
We live in a global madhouse and we're all mad here--no exceptions.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
For what it's worth, I offer two things:

1. I can't watch the video. It apparently contains music that is copyrighted and which the German agency (GEMA) which collects royalties forbids me to watch. I've tried using proxis, but still haven't seen the video.

2. I live in Germany. I was nowhere near New York on 9/11. And while I honestly sympathize for those who were there on that day, I also think that one ought not underestimate how other Americans felt on that day. By that I mean: Americans world-wide. I honestly, truly, in-my-heart, felt attacked. I didn't smell the smoke or see the explosions. But I cried when I saw the pictures. I cried when I thought about the firemen who died. I cried, simply.

Put those two things together, and I'll say this: we all were hurt on that day. All of us. We all lost something. Let's not argue about who lost the most. Who can know that? We all lost a lot. All of us.

All of us.

Now, shut up and let's argue about David Blaine or something like that.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 16:09, acesover wrote:
if you have it is not something you will forget, especially if it could have just as easily been you.

That's Slide's point.

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 15:56, Slide wrote:
Well, Aces, I don't have the option of forgetting. I spent months taking food each day to my neighbors who had lost fathers, brothers, wives and sisters. I held the hand of my firemen friends who had gone to over 50 funerals in a 30 day period. I led over 1000 people in my town singing This Land is Your Land while the smoke was still billowing in the distance. I sat at my daughter's high school graduation where scholarship after scholarship was awarded to former graduates of the high school who had lost their lives in 9/11. I watched the towers come down and walked the 40 blocks to my car to get my mother in law out of the city. I sat in the memorial services for those in my church who died and who are remembered each day. I was there a few days later to see for myself and that image will never leave my mind. And now, I get the opportunity to watch friends of mine who were first responders die of cancer they contracted on site. I think about my own exposure and if I too will face lung cancer because I was there that day.

So, no, I don't have the option of forgetting.

What I truly despise is people who weren't there co-opting 9/11 for their own agenda. You weren't there. I was. Don't lecture me on forgetting 9/11. The fact that you could imagine ANYONE who was there would have the ability to forget what they experienced, shows how completely and utterly clueless you are.

That is all I have to say on the subject.

I can only respond to this post of yours by saying read your first post about not needing this today. Well I say you need it every day and should never forget. Your response is childish especially your past line. Just in case you don't know it is a physcial impossibility. Smile Grow up. How old are you? The whole country mourned because of this. However they experienced it second hand and you supposedly experienced it first hand so you of all people should not have to be reminded to remember. I stand by what I sais. Don't ever forget EVER.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 16:03, Slide wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that scratch. I hope you are okay now.

I'm fine. That was a long time ago.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5725 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I wish I could forget.

Really.

You cannot even if you tried.

I think honouring their lives by living ours to our best abilities is the thing to do. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I'll never forget. I didn't think I would get out alive.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5725 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I don't just mean 9/11.

I mean all tragedies where human lives were taken.

We, who are still here, should do our best.

At least we still have life.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something everyone should view » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL