The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting back into magic, help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

staythatway
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of staythatway
Hey everyone,

I am a college student, going to school for Theater Design & Production. In my earlier teenage years, I was really into magic. I collected lots of tricks, went to conventions, and went to Tannens Magic Camp. I was always really into card magic, and some mentalism stuff, and performing for friends. Unfortunately, in my transition from high school to college, I stopped doing magic. I don't remember much of what I used to do, and really fell out of the art.

I am not working much this summer and wanted to use my free time to try to get back into it, so I can have something on the side to show friends when I get back to school. I really would like to get back into impromptu card magic, and some small mentalism stuff.

I have been out of touch with the magic world for a long time now, and am looking for advice. Any DVDs, books, tricks that I should check out? I would really appreciate any advice on getting back into magic. Thanks everyone!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic, Tarbells, Card College, Royal Road to Card Magic, Harry Lorayne's Magic Book, Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism, all should keep you busy for a while.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
The Card College 5 Vol. Set (books), Great resource.

Howard Hamburg's DVD

Jay Sankey has a lot of great stuff (both books and DVDs)
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic is a good choice. Also check out the Fooler Dooler set by Daryl. It has a great selection of card, sponge, rope, coin and much more.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
staythatway
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of staythatway
Thanks everyone for their advice.

I, unfortunately, have all of these suggestions made so far. Is there anything else, maybe newer material that I can check out? Thanks again
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2012-07-04 00:53, staythatway wrote:

I, unfortunately, have all of these suggestions made so far. Is there anything else, maybe newer material that I can check out? Thanks again

Excuse me, but you are telling us that you've been away for a while. Right?
I reckon you might be out of practice. Right?
So if you have more or less the stuff suggested in this thread, you have a number of the classic books which are good to learn and master some classic material. Right?

So, why don't you re-start from there and postpone the new rubbish you often find nowadays to much MUCH later?
My magic comeback was after more than 25 years. I bought the Card College series (I like cards mostly) cos this way I could start from scratch with a text that did not exist in the 80's and which was more updated than Royal Road.

Once I was good enough with some basic sleights, I started practising effects and routines from the classic books I ALREADY OWNED (Dai Vernon's material, Harry Lorayne's books). And it's working out beautifully!

Give it a thought...

mlippo
Albatros
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
132 Posts

Profile of Albatros
Quote:
On 2012-07-04 00:53, staythatway wrote:

First of all: Hi there and welcome back to magic!
But then I have to wonder - you have all those classic (and still very high regarded) books - and you don't know where to start? The easy thing to do would be cruising through those ressources you got, reactivate the muscles for some basic sleights you once did and practice w/e you like most. I would advise against tons of new books - most of them depend on the basics that you own anyways, so why not start there? Have fun!

All the best,
Sven^^
"Palming cards... Like sex, it can be learned by almost anybody,but doing it well requires some native talent and assiduous practice." (John Scarne)
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I don't disagree with the advice you have received so far but, when I returned to magic I wanted some new stuff to prime the pump. Once I got back in the classics started to call to me.

Some names I would recommend for a fresh look would be Joshua Jay, Jeff McBride and Greg Wilson. The link for Josh:

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magician/joshua-jay/

Fun stuff... but don't forget those classics...

Good luck,

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
The great Karrell Fox was famous for saying "Don't ask me what's new, ask me what's old."
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
I also got back into magic not too long ago after a very long break regretfully. I also struggled with reviewing the old and getting the new. I've found the path I'm enjoying is reading up on magic theory and reviewing some classics (i.e. Royal Road to Card Magic) and getting to know the works of masters I hadn't heard of in my teenage years: Juan Tamariz (finally got my hands on The Magic Way after 2 years of searching), Jeff McBride, Eugene Burger, etc etc etc. Some of the other guys who's stuff I've enjoyed include Jay Sankey, Josh Jay, Cameron Francis, Guy Hollingworth, Aldo Colombini (and his wife) and several others. My word of caution to you: don't overbuy. Read as much as you can and practice often.

It's worth checking out your local magic scene (i.e. club and lectures). Reading magic magazines has also been a great source to learn both history and biography. Finally, I would check out the on-line EMC conference next week if you have the resources for it (internet connection and about $90). It's fantastic in so many ways.

It's been a challenge getting as much out of magic (and putting as much into it!) as I'd like while trying to balance a full-time job and family, but it's certainly a worthwhile pursuit nonetheless. I feel like it's taken me 2 years to get to where other guys have gotten to in 6 months, skills-wise. However, the methodical approach has been worth it. There's nothing like that genuine look of wonder and surprise on a participant's face when the effect comes together...and they scream with joy!

From one re-beginner to another...
AK
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Into impromptu card magic? I've written quite a few books just for you!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
How could I have forgotten?!?!?

When I first got back into magic I happened across "The Magic Book" by Harry Lorayne. I spent a lot of time with this great intro to magic book learning about card handling that I wish I had learned my first time around as an early teen... I still have several pages tagged to go back to. I recently picked up a copy of Deck-Sterity after reading some posts in the Café about it being a good source for some false shuffles. Just came in the mail recently so haven't gotten to it yet...

Yes, Mr. Lorayne's books are great for beginners, and I'm assuming for more experienced folks as well.
Thanks for the gentle reminder!
AK
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
My pleasure sir, and if you go to my magic website (3rd one listed under this post) you'll see what's currently available. Best - HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
I'll be sure to check it out. Got the book reference wrong... one with false shuffle was Rim Shots I believe. You've certainly produced a lot of material!
AK
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
You might want to access your current skills and see if they are up to par with what you used to know. Relearn what you liked before and get proficient with handling props and muscle memory.

For some new juice, you can go on Penguin and see knew products. You can keyword best magic of 2010 or 2011 on the Café or elsewhere and see what's new.
CdnAndrew
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
I agree with Dr. Art above. I too have a large wealth of material in the library (full collection of Tarbell, Bobo's, Ammar's big green book, Simon Lovell, etc), and am working on getting back into magic. I found browsing the "Latest and Greatest" and the "Review" section a great way to prime the pump. Sometimes it takes a small investment; a new 'self-worker' or a new DVD that everyone is talking about, to get the bug back. Check out what people have said were the 'best of 2011', or see what everyone else is talking about in the other forums. It might not even result in a purchase, but if it gets your mind in gear and remembering the illusions you used to create way back when, then all the power to you. Good luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting back into magic, help? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL