The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Solution for scratched DVDs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I've got a non-copy-protected computer DVD that is badly scratched. I tried copying individual files from the Video_TS folder to a blank DVD, but some of the files are not readable because of the scratches. Anybody know anything that might work?
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I believe Staples sells a product to eliminate scratches on DVD's. Other sources might be Future Shop or Best Buy.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
There are devices that repair scratched DVDs. I have one similar to this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Digital+Inno......=7043503

Except mine is a hand-cranked version. I think I'll spring for this motorized version.

I can testify that I have saved scratched DVDs using the device. But it doesn't work 100% of the time. I guess it depends on the nature of the offending scratches.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Brasso works well on acyclic watch crystals, so I tried it once on a scratched DVD and it worked. I guess it will depend on how deep the scratches are, but if it doesn't work now, what have you got to lose?
Take your time.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Try taking it to your local video rental store. Many of them have disc polishing machines, and they typically only charge $1.00 per disc. It should work if the scratches are only on the reading side. However, if the scratches are on the label side, then you might not be able to recover anything else.

Good luck!
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Also try another DVD player / recorder on a different computer. They are not all equally good. What fails to read on one, sometimes may work on another.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2012-07-05 17:40, TomKMagic wrote:
Try taking it to your local video rental store. Many of them have disc polishing machines, and they typically only charge $1.00 per disc. It should work if the scratches are only on the reading side. However, if the scratches are on the label side, then you might not be able to recover anything else.

Good luck!

If the original poster only has one disc in need of help, that would be the least expensive option. The trick would be to find a video rental store that is still in business.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Depends where the scratch is located on your DVD.
Is the coating scratched or the burnt data side?

if the reflective coating is scratched off and
you can see through the dvd it is trash.
no repairs can be made, sorry.
The reflective coating is needed for the laser
to read the burn marks on the disc.

if it's the other side, it depends how deep and
large the scratch is in the plastic.
most DVD's can not be repaired.
those kits are a waste of your $$$
they don't work except on the tiniest of minor scratches.
I wouldn't waste my cash on that, buy another DVD
it will be cheaper, if it's not available, chalk it up to experience.

This is why you should ALWAYS make a copy of your DVD's
and put the master copy away in a safe spot.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
On 2012-07-05 19:43, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-05 17:40, TomKMagic wrote:

Good luck!

If the original poster only has one disc in need of help, that would be the least expensive option. The trick would be to find a video rental store that is still in business.

True... The Family Video near me does have a nice big polisher machine. If landmark were to send me the disc with enough money to ship it back to him, I would take it there or even try it in my computer for him. Of course, there's no guarantee it would work. And as Octopus Sun mentioned, it depends on where the scratches are. You might be in luck if it's a double sided disc, cuz then the reflective layer is buried in the middle.

Hope you find something that works.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for the advice all. I was able to recover enough of the Video_TS files to have it workable. The parts I couldn't recover were not absolutely essential, though they would have been nice to save. Discovered the problem only as I was making the back-up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Solution for scratched DVDs? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL