The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Diary of a Beginning Street Magician - Busking Lessons learned on the pitch! (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I´ve had these cups for a couple of years now, and I love them. Good choice and good luck!

HÃ¥kan
:wavey:
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Thanks to gr8gorilla I was just in contact with Tom Frank. It appears the last set will be mine. For only $200 that is a great deal. Now the Question is do I Perform with them, or nicely Display them in my magic room next to the awards I have won at local competitions.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Andy,

It would be a shame for such a set of cups to sit on a shelf unused. How else could they develop the beautiful patina and character that only a set of cups well used in many performances can get? Tell me Andy, which would you rather have as a collector:
A. a set of Gazzo Cups that came from the manufacturer and were never used.
B. a set of Gazzo Cups that he used to perform every day for a couple of years.
or
A. a set of cups from Dai Vernon's personal collection.
B. a set of cups that Dai Vernon used in countless performances.

Coincidentally, when I contacted James Riser (who is not making cups right now and says he may never spin another set) he was very emphatic that he would not make any props if their purpose was to sit on a display shelf. He would only make props for working magicians that they planned to use.

So do the right thing Andy! Take those cups, set them on your table and beat and bang on them with that nice Ironwood wand that comes in the set. Try to dent them, as thick as they are I believe it will not be a simple task. Use them as they were intended, as a tough workers set of Cups!

I just don't see how letting them sit on a shelf could make them more valuable. I think using them will only increase the value. Now, if the set was a collector's item like the Vernon Cups, I wouldn't use those, as they are attached to another and probably wouldn't want to perform for me like they did for him (just kidding), but really I would want the last performance they were used in to have been by the master himself.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Thanks. I needed that slap in the face. lol. Yes I was using oranges as my final loads. I am not sure what type of cups they are. I bought them at the magic shop I work at (bigguysmagic.com) They were just labeled as Jumbo Cups, I will take a closer look tonight when I am at the shop. The cups are made of brass, but got beat up pretty good at summerfest. One of the cups got a nice little dent on the lip, so now they stack a little funny.

Now that I think about it, I really enjoyed using oranges as a Final Load. I know the phoenix cups won’t allow a full size orange. I’m not second guessing myself to buy a set of Super Street Cups from rings and things, rather than the phoenix cups. Seeing they will allow a full orange.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I just realized I answered a question you had in a different thread in the previous post, I hope this does not confuse anyone. I'm Polish, I tend to get confused easily.

Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
So very jealous of those cups. Awesome deal!
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

You can add Andy to the list of those to envy! And my new Signature....
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Payment sent and recieved. Tom Said he will be shipping the cups out today or tomorrow at the latest.

Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I took the cups to Kroger with me tonight, well one, and found some stuff that fits. Here is the image:

I think these loads are sufficiently large compared to the balls used in the effect. They are not massive Gazzo Loads or anything but they should be sufficient. Potato, Lemon, Onion. I suppose a trip to a farmers market could come up with some more exotic organics that would work.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Great Photo. I love it. and It's Saturday. I am excited to hear about how things are going on the pitch.

Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I got up late today because I stayed up late working on program I am writing for work. I got there about 11:30 and left a 4. It went well! I will elaborate when: I arrive home!
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

OK. Yesterday was my best day yet. I worked a total of 4 hours because I had a project I had to work on. I?made a few mods to my show. First, I have all but removed the linking rings. Second,I have increased my use of the silk vanish at the beginning, repeating as many as five times with talking in between to help build a larger edge. I have put the invisible deck into my show as the middle effect permanently. So first its sponge balls then id then pofs nightmare. These get the best reaction.

I have been working on connecting with the audience more. Introducing myself and my show. Talking about being an engineering student,announcing my finale, explaining that I will pass the hat after, and some modified hat lines.

I am getting better every day. This Saturday I averaged $35/hr. The most for me yet on the street.

I have been focusing on my Busking skills mainly the last few days out. Next I plan to review the entertainment value of my show and work on the non magical entertainment that I am attempting.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

And now on to my project that required my leaving early (I was really torn and wanted to stay because I was doing so well), I needed to prepare for adding the new set of Phoenix Cups I just got to my show. I needed a table and a place to load the cups from. I had been planning to make a table already and getting the cups in made me decide to do it this weekend. I had bought some nice black velvet from Joann Frabrics a while back because I got it for 40% off. I had planned on using some of it to make the table and some to make some nice closeup pads.

I used fiberboard for the table surface and I made a frame for it from 1/2" x 2" Maple boards. I reinforced the bottom with some 1" x 2" pine boards. This was my first attempt at a real woodworking project since I took a woodworking class in middle school. I screwed up some. I messed up the 45's on the frame, I didn't have a table saw to cut the fiber board to size. I did have a chop saw, and a framing saw. I didn't worry too much about the fiberboard being perfect because I was framing it so that part was OK. I also stripped out about 4 screws in the process of putting it all together, requiring me to drill out the heads and then twist them out with pliers. I then pre-drilled each hole prior to putting the screws in.

The working surface of the table is about 30" x 14". I will also be able to store other props in the Servante and work out of it some for Audience Conditioning. The velvet also makes a nice surface for some effects that you just can't reliably without a closeup mat, like Mexican Turnover, pretty card spreads, a matrix effect...the list goes on. I do a lot of walking around and interacting with audience members but having the table there, gives me more options. When doing sponge balls or ropes, I can walk out to the edge, in front of the table, and do my magic, when building the edge, I can get people right up close to the table if I want, I can also use the Servante for clean vanish purposes....

The table is not perfect but I learned a lot making it and will try again for a more perfect version later. I also made my own servante to attach to it and load out of. A while back I applied for a job at a Fine Dining restaurant and got hired. When I got hired they gave me a uniform that included a tie, vest(with a built in topit I might add - well, it required a small modification but it really did basically have a topit already in it on both sides), and a waiters apron. The apron is made out of polyester. I modified it to create a servante. It already had two pockets on the front like you may be familiar with, and I folded it in such a way that it made a large pocket the size of the entire apron. I suck at sewing so I used Gorilla Glue for most of the bonding. The stress points I sewed a stitch to help stop it from pulling apart there at the top. I used Velcro to attach it to the back of the table, and also put a screw in each side of the table to tie the apron strings to. I need to color the glue that bled through with a sharpie because it looks bad. I am using a keyboard stand as the legs. The only thing I am worried about is how I will level it if I am on slanted bit of sidewalk. The wood of the frame was finished with Teak Oil, so it keeps it's natural color. I actually glued the Velvet to the fiber board with wood glue.

So here is the setup I will be using to add Cups and Balls to my show:

Top View:

Front View:

Back View:

Servante:

Looking into Servante holding balls and loads:
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Sounds like you had a great day. I am glad things are looking up. Table looks good as well.

Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Actually Andy, I know it is screwed up, but it will get the job done. I did have a good day, they just keep getting better. I am honestly shocked at the progression of my per hour income. I mean really, Day 1 - feeler, 0, Day 2 - $7.5/hr, Day 3 - $10/hr, Day 4 - $17.5/hr, Day 5 - $20/hr, Day 6 - $35/hr. Now, if judge my success strictly on that metric alone, I am consistently getting better and better. But anyone reading this has to realize that right now I am only working Saturdays, I have a lot of experience performing and in magic in general, I spend a lot of time in between days out on the street evaluating what I can do to do better. I don't think a beginning magician could quit his job, go out on the street on Monday and by Saturday be like: "WooooHooo, I made the right choice, I was working at McDonald's for $8.50/hr and now I am performing magic and making $35/hr, I made the right choice." I am not saying I am gifted or anything, just that I worked for Magic Masters for a long time and my job as a salesman was very similar to how one should perform on the street. That experience has had a huge impact on my ability to adapt to the street.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I don't think the table looks bad. It's not perfect, by neither is mine. And yes any Formal training or natural skill with sales it critical in street performing. In essence you are selling something (your show) to people who do not have to pay for it. Those who do decide to pay are doing it because the show meant something to them. Therefore, your performance (sales pitch) is more Important than your magic. (I know we talked about this before). I know there are tons of other reasons people do and do not tip, but we're not going that deep.

As you already stated, someone working at McDonald's just starting out in magic is highly unlikely to be successful their first run on the pitch. There are just too many variables. Because of your experience it's making things easier for you. But you still have learned so much. The same is with me, I have a good amount of magic in my background, it was easier for me to try bucking, but *** I learned a lot and look forward to learning so much more.

Keep up the great work. I'm excited to see your improvements, and I can't wait to hear about your cups and balls routine.

Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I agree that I have learned a lot, part of my earlier statement was meant to convey that I seriously review what went wrong each day on the pitch. Why was the crowd not into the show, what was filler, what was too long, where did I screw up with the hat lines, did I use hat lines, how did I interact with the crowd, did I personalize the experience by using their names, did I educate them during the show so passing the hat was not a shock? The list goes on and on. Now I am seriously evaluating the actual entertainment value of my show. The lines, the reactions, the ride I take the audience on. The show is working but I know it can be better.

The reason I have done away with the rings is because people like it when I do the first link and unlink, but after that they pretty much lose interest. When I can find a way to do just that and work in enough actual entertainment to make a crowd like it I may bring them back, I like the Rings, I always have, I just don't think it is one of the more entertaining effects as far as street crowds are concerned.

Each aspect of the show I perform is evaluated based on audience reaction. If the reaction is poor, the effect either gets cut or modified. If I am trying something new, I may attempt different versions of it, some of which I create in between performances in an attempt to get the audience reaction that I want. If the audience isn't reacting well to your material you cannot expect the hats to be very impressive. If you go out to the street and perform your show and people don't react correctly it probably isn't the trick or your mastery of it (this is possible, but if you put in sufficient practice it isn't likely). It is most likely to be your performance or your entertainment value. Each of your effects has a time limit, if you exceed that limit you get walk-aways, bored spectators, and ultimately smaller hats. You will find that you do much better when you cut all the extra crap. A prime example is my rope routine. I started out doing Professor's Nightmare, Fiber Optics style. The thing is a street audience has a short attention span. After you stretch the ropes, count the ropes, restore the rope to a long one, cut it, and restore it again, they are amazed. If you do this for 10 more minutes they get bored. Why? Because you are doing the same thing over and over again. I pretty much cut out all of the fancy Sanders moves. The "it's static" bit, the end switch, the slide down ends, the different end throw on's. I got rid of them because, to a lay person it is all the same, to another magician it is cool or to someone into magic it may be cool, but the average person on the street is like, "OK, how many times is this guy going to cut the rope with his fingers and put it back together anyway, it was cool the 4th time, but the 45th time, not so much." Also people on the street are trying to figure out your tricks. They didn't pay to see a magic show, at least not until the end, so anything that gives them a chance to figure out your trick or even to think that they figured it out, is going to lessen your credibility and in turn lessen your hat.

The audience that goes away thinking "WOW, that guy was awesome, I have no idea how he did any of that." is going to tip way bigger than the audience who thinks, "He did that trick with magnets, or whatever...." even though you didn't and they really have no idea what happened, you performed the trick long enough that they created an explanation and now they found you out and your not mysterious, and you don't deserve their $5, now you get the Sacajawea $1 coin instead. All of these things are things that you can only from the street, actually performing your show for crowds and seeing what you can do that pulls in the big hats. What works for me may not and probably won't work for you. You have to adapt your performance to your personality and you have to do it based on audience reactions.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Most have to get advanced degrees to make $35 an hr.

Well done!
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 22:37, Gr8gorilla wrote:
I agree that I have learned a lot, part of my earlier statement was meant to convey that I seriously review what went wrong each day on the pitch. Why was the crowd not into the show, what was filler, what was too long, where did I screw up with the hat lines, did I use hat lines, how did I interact with the crowd, did I personalize the experience by using their names, did I educate them during the show so passing the hat was not a shock? The list goes on and on. Now I am seriously evaluating the actual entertainment value of my show. The lines, the reactions, the ride I take the audience on. The show is working but I know it can be better.

The reason I have done away with the rings is because people like it when I do the first link and unlink, but after that they pretty much lose interest. When I can find a way to do just that and work in enough actual entertainment to make a crowd like it I may bring them back, I like the Rings, I always have, I just don't think it is one of the more entertaining effects as far as street crowds are concerned.

Each aspect of the show I perform is evaluated based on audience reaction. If the reaction is poor, the effect either gets cut or modified. If I am trying something new, I may attempt different versions of it, some of which I create in between performances in an attempt to get the audience reaction that I want. If the audience isn't reacting well to your material you cannot expect the hats to be very impressive. If you go out to the street and perform your show and people don't react correctly it probably isn't the trick or your mastery of it (this is possible, but if you put in sufficient practice it isn't likely). It is most likely to be your performance or your entertainment value. Each of your effects has a time limit, if you exceed that limit you get walk-aways, bored spectators, and ultimately smaller hats. You will find that you do much better when you cut all the extra crap. A prime example is my rope routine. I started out doing Professor's Nightmare, Fiber Optics style. The thing is a street audience has a short attention span. After you stretch the ropes, count the ropes, restore the rope to a long one, cut it, and restore it again, they are amazed. If you do this for 10 more minutes they get bored. Why? Because you are doing the same thing over and over again. I pretty much cut out all of the fancy Sanders moves. The "it's static" bit, the end switch, the slide down ends, the different end throw on's. I got rid of them because, to a lay person it is all the same, to another magician it is cool or to someone into magic it may be cool, but the average person on the street is like, "OK, how many times is this guy going to cut the rope with his fingers and put it back together anyway, it was cool the 4th time, but the 45th time, not so much." Also people on the street are trying to figure out your tricks. They didn't pay to see a magic show, at least not until the end, so anything that gives them a chance to figure out your trick or even to think that they figured it out, is going to lessen your credibility and in turn lessen your hat.

The audience that goes away thinking "WOW, that guy was awesome, I have no idea how he did any of that." is going to tip way bigger than the audience who thinks, "He did that trick with magnets, or whatever...." even though you didn't and they really have no idea what happened, you performed the trick long enough that they created an explanation and now they found you out and your not mysterious, and you don't deserve their $5, now you get the Sacajawea $1 coin instead. All of these things are things that you can only from the street, actually performing your show for crowds and seeing what you can do that pulls in the big hats. What works for me may not and probably won't work for you. You have to adapt your performance to your personality and you have to do it based on audience reactions.

Incredable post. I could not have said it better myself. Far too many magicians do not understand this concept. Keep it up, you're going to be great.

Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
Concerning hourly pay: I'm surprised by how closely your "pay grade" matches my experience. I've only been out busking twice, but here's what I made:

Try 1: $7.50/hour (about minimum wage)
Try 2: $10/hour

Secondly, that table is Suh-WEET. I gotta make me one.
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Diary of a Beginning Street Magician - Busking Lessons learned on the pitch! (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL