The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfields Appearing Car! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MagicMichealMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
349 Posts

Profile of MagicMichealMan
Wow...reading wanmagic's post was really cool...and I would be one of those people in magic and it was all because of him.

magic mike
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I don't think he's depressed (at least I hope not), but I DO think that he is tired. The man needs a vacation!! But I don't see him taking one any time soon. Even though he looks worn out sometimes, the guy is just too dedicated to take a break.

I admire him greatly. I've had the opportunity to meet him on a few occasions and I felt like a little girl getting to meet Britney Spears - well, before she went crazy and shaved her head...

And the car appearance rocks!!
Corey King
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Mike -

You commented about whether The Fan illusion was new. No, it was on one of his TV specials. Same music, same automatic revolving, same great presentation. I have all of his specials on tape.

To the others, here in Victoria, as a part of his "An Intimate Evening of Grand Illusion", he did The Fan instead of The Portal. He also did Kevin James' Floating Rose in his show. Otherwise, the show is pretty much as outlined above.

The show ran 1 hour, 20 minutes.

The Lotto was my favorite routine, too. I loved the appearing car, as well as the license plates.

- Donald

P.S. The spectators from "Thirteen" re-appeared about 10 feet from my seat. I also got to touch / bounce a silver ball in "Thirteen". I just wasn't holding it when the music stopped.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Wanmagic-

You quite simply cannot factually state that "he is the best, period." You can state that he is absolutely your favorite, but a categorical statement such as yours cannot be substantiated. We must all be careful not to state opinions as facts.

Due to his influence many young magicians have been inspired to take up the craft, but he is just a shadow of what he used to be. And Corey K, being "too dedicated to take a break" is not an excuse for giving consistently poor performances for years at a stretch. If he needs a break, then he owes it, first to himself, and secondly to his audiences to do so. I know if I'm going to plunk down my hard-earned money to see a show I'd much rather see someone who is doing more than merely going through the motions.

He's not going to go broke if he takes a break, and audiences will not abandon him if he takes a year off (witness many posts in this very thread!).

I've seen him both ways. In the earlier years his shows were very entertaining and engaging. Nowadays it's like he's performing "at" an audience rather than "for" them.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Frank Simpson,

What you stated is sad but true....

Anyway, I'll state that he is easily ONE of the BEST Magicians ever, right there behind Houdini....

In my humble opinion of course... Smile

Wish I could see his Car Appearance!
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Clinton W. Gray
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Clinton W. Gray
We just saw Copperfield in Kamloops last night(October 29th), and he was seriously worn out and tired. He mumbled through the performance, and I caught myself laughing at jokes, only because I knew the punch lines. People around me were all saying the same thing... "What did he say?" "What was that?" "I can't hear him."

However, as has been pointed out many times on the Café, this is not a new thing with him. I saw him in Vegas in 1996 when he was still ending with Flying and Snow, and it was the same tired, detached, and uncaring persona on stage.

But to be honest, with 400-500 shows a year, we all would be like that. The question is why do so many? Take a vacation, relax, maybe only do 30 cities in a year like most of the pop stars do. That way the shows would be special, and he wouldn't be so tired!

All that being said, the magic was still great. the car, the car, the car!

Cheers,
Clinton
Clinton W. Gray
Magician in Vancouver BC
Mattillusion
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
The lottery is certainly a masterpiece. He will always be one of my favorites.

Here is some interesting insight...particularly the 'Primetime' story:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CopperfieldChannel
barrypeters
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of barrypeters
Myself and 8 of my friends saw him on October 15 in Saskatoon, SK. None of us had ever seen an illusion show of this nature and magnitude before. We all enjoyed it immensely and agreed it was, by far, one of the best shows (not just magic shows) we had ever seen. Everything was done so professionally and in a way which heightened the quality and enjoyment of the show: timing, routining, pre-planned patter, adlib patter, lighting, assistant-work, sets, music, sound effects, video work, and on and on. He received two standing ovations (one after the little fan trick, one after the audience member vanish). We went out inspired to live life and do magic.

After reading these posts, I can definately agree that there could have been elements of being tired/bored. None of the magic seemed an effort to him, but he definately connected super well with audience.

I have also never seen him earlier, in his prime, so I don't have anything else to compare him with. But having seen him once, I can understand why he is as popular as he is and why he is (arguably) the most well-known magician on the planet.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
I never thought Copperfield was great with the audience. Good, but not great. Lance Burton really connects to the audience where as Copperfield's show is more layed out like a play, everything in sequence and in unison. Of the several shows I have seen he never has looked tired, bored on out of touch. He is not the same as he was when he was 20, but who is? I still think he puts on a great show and I think he is one of the best magicians of our generation.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
barrypeters
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of barrypeters
I'd agree with you Banester, on the play part. It was laid out very well and executed FLAWLESSLY. I haven't yet seen enough magicians, I guess, to be able to comment on comparisons with others.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Just saw Copperfield Oct. 20. Third, mayby fourth time I've seen him live. Yes, he does seem tired and Yes he did seem uncaring. His schedule must be very tiring. But his schedule is of his own choice.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-10-30 01:50, Frank Simpson wrote:
{...] a categorical statement such as yours cannot be substantiated. We must all be careful not to state opinions as facts.
{...]
Due to his influence many young magicians have been inspired to take up the craft, but he is just a shadow of what he used to be. [...]

"Oh what a gift the good lord give us;
To see ourselves as others see us."

Yes, Frank, we must ALL be careful not to state opinions as facts.

lol,
TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Clinton W. Gray
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Clinton W. Gray
Quote:
Yes, Frank, we must ALL be careful not to state opinions as facts.

That's funny. Great catch.
Clinton W. Gray
Magician in Vancouver BC
kenb123
View Profile
New user
Parker,CO
66 Posts

Profile of kenb123
Quote:
On 2008-10-29 00:12, pepka wrote:
The last time I got to see DC he did the Lotto prediction, but without the car at the end. I still loved that trick, and thought it was the most impressive thing that night. Evidently the car illusion will not work in every theater they travel to. I think I really need to see him when I'm in Vegas to make sure to see it.

Yes I'm sure that there are some requirements for the car appearance, I saw it first at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood - one of those OMG moments. Saw him in Vegas at the MGM and he did the whole routine minus the appearance, so I assumed that theater could accomodate it.

Went another time to the same Theater at teh MGM and boom - there was the car appearnce.

So I guess it's not always the theater that decides whether you see the car or not.

I had the pleasure of going a fourth time in Vegas with my kids, and was lucky enough to be one of the two guys on the floor underneath the car, holding the pylon that it ends up resting on.

Even though I know how it's done - I still consider it one of the most compelling visual illusions.
Son of a Beat
View Profile
New user
Montréal, Canada
82 Posts

Profile of Son of a Beat
Last spring, I had the chance to see the whole Copperfield show from backstage. The whole "Appearing Car Act" is a work of art. So many elements put together to make it convincing. The numbers, the recorded prediction,... the Car (even from backstage, the appearance is so fuc***impressively fast)

Technical restrictions are about stage depth and stage floor capacities. That maybe why they perform it or not, depending of the theatre where they perform.(even if the car is all fiberglass, the rest isn't). Look at the online tech rider for the weight details. It's alot!

The technical team is not a Super Duper Broadway team, they look like a bunch of drunked teenager running everywhere. And Copperfield himself is texting SMS when having his "coffee breaks" backstage and he looked like hell, like he haven't sleep in weeks.

The magic was not as fresh as ten years ago.
The light in his eyes is gone.
The kid refusing to grow up has grown.
Just like Michael Jackson did.
Innocence lost...
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
I will be seeing Copperfield for the first time in November. I canèt wait, and I know for a fact that I will not be seeing the car appearance because the stage wont allow it. He is performing in a hockey arena in which they are going to put a stage on one end of it.

Hopefully I will see the Copperfield that is filled with energy, and not a drained and tired human being. I cannot wait to see 13.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Don't be so sure you won't see the car... I've seen him do it in arena shows before.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Son of a Beat,

Care to explain how someone with such a low appreciation for Copperfield gets to watch from backstage? Are your really an illusionist or a flunky union worker?

John Smile
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
Well I have not seen Copperfeild since I was 12 and he is coming to Pensecola, so I am going to go see him, just for nostelgic sake, I hope he is good still
making the unreal, real...really!
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 23:35, Frank Simpson wrote:
Don't be so sure you won't see the car... I've seen him do it in arena shows before.

Sweet, at least I have a bit of hope.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfields Appearing Car! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL