The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Worst Ever" Summer in the UK (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..14~15~16 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 15:24, Al Angello wrote:
You were talking about the predictions for January 2013, and I said that the two previous Winters will be hard to beat.

If you're responding to me, I wasn't talking about the predictions for January 2013.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 10:51, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Don't worry, life on Earth will do just fine.
Human life--well--that we're not too sure about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbResOr5mo
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 15:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:
But when you're just talking about record temperatures, regardless of time of year, it's ridiculous to be particularly concerned that it's happening during the summer.

Lobo,

Why aren't record summer temperatures worthy of our concern? And what WOULD it take, in your opinion, for us to be concerned?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I think that anything less than an epidemic of spontaneous human combustion wouldn't be sufficient to convince skeptics of the reality of global warming. (And even then many of them would probably argue that combusting humans is something nature does periodically on her own and has nothing to do with man's activity.)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 17:25, mastermindreader wrote:
I think that anything less than an epidemic of spontaneous human combustion wouldn't be sufficient to convince skeptics of the reality of global warming.

I think you're aiming low.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
When you refer to the "warmest Winters in recorded history," you are referring only to the past 200 years, since thermometers weren't standardized until the XVIIIth century, and even since then, the temperature records are sketchy and skewed towards places where people happen to live. The problem is, we tend to think of the current conditions that we have enjoyed during our brief lifetimes as "normal," "usual," and "desirable," when the whole period of systematic temperature measurement (as poorly standardized as those measurements are) represents a blink of the eye of climate history. There is really no reason to believe that the warm temperatures being recorded in the United States (or the cool temperatures being recorded in Britain) this Summer are anything out of the ordinary at all, oreven anywhere near to the extremes that may have occurred in the past.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 17:19, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 15:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:
But when you're just talking about record temperatures, regardless of time of year, it's ridiculous to be particularly concerned that it's happening during the summer.

Lobo,

Why aren't record summer temperatures worthy of our concern? And what WOULD it take, in your opinion, for us to be concerned?

Ron

I'll try the first half of that. The issue I have isn't about "record summer temperatures." It's about record TEMPERATURES, period. The article said that it's particularly troubling that record TEMPERATURES are being set in the summer. In other words, let's say Loboville's all-time high temperature was 105 degrees, and last week, it hit 106. NOT the all-time "summer" high. The all-time high.

The author is particularly concerned because in July, the earth is at its farthest from the sun. In other words, he'd be LESS concerned if it hit 106 in JANUARY, because the earth is closer to the sun then. That's the part that casts serious doubt on his credibility. When would EXPECT record high temperatures to be set, January, or July?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 17:25, mastermindreader wrote:
I think that anything less than an epidemic of spontaneous human combustion wouldn't be sufficient to convince skeptics of the reality of global warming. (And even then many of them would probably argue that combusting humans is something nature does periodically on her own and has nothing to do with man's activity.)

Please think like a lawyer who hasn't been retained by either side, and comment on this particular phrase:

"What's even more worrying is that, while all these temperature maximums are being set, the earth 94.5 million miles away from the sun, the farthest distance it will be this year, and we are breaking record high temperatures willy-nilly"

Note that per the link, the earth is farthest from the sun in July, and closest to the sun in January. So it's of particular concern that the record temperatures are occurring in July, not January.

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There is no limit to the deniers denying. Thank you Bob I will go watch TV now that we all know who's who and what's what on that subject.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 17:31, Woland wrote:
When you refer to the "warmest Winters in recorded history," you are referring only to the past 200 years, since thermometers weren't standardized until the XVIIIth century, and even since then, the temperature records are sketchy and skewed towards places where people happen to live. The problem is, we tend to think of the current conditions that we have enjoyed during our brief lifetimes as "normal," "usual," and "desirable," when the whole period of systematic temperature measurement (as poorly standardized as those measurements are) represents a blink of the eye of climate history. There is really no reason to believe that the warm temperatures being recorded in the United States (or the cool temperatures being recorded in Britain) this Summer are anything out of the ordinary at all, oreven anywhere near to the extremes that may have occurred in the past.

Don't you just love obfuscation?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 19:11, Al Angello wrote:
There is no limit to the deniers denying. Thank you Bob I will go watch TV now that we all know who's who and what's what on that subject.

It's a hot one, Al...you might want to double up on the Kool-Aid while you watch TV.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 17:46, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Please think like a lawyer who hasn't been retained by either side, and comment on this particular phrase:

"What's even more worrying is that, while all these temperature maximums are being set, the earth 94.5 million miles away from the sun, the farthest distance it will be this year, and we are breaking record high temperatures willy-nilly"

Note that per the link, the earth is farthest from the sun in July, and closest to the sun in January. So it's of particular concern that the record temperatures are occurring in July, not January.

That argument loses most of its effect if you stop and consider that whether January is summer or not has a lot to do with which hemisphere you live in. I guess we should look at temperature records set in Australia last January.

That's what you get for asking me to think like a lawyer. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Heh. Well done!

The argument regains its effect, though, when you look at the maps and read the post and realize that he's talking about North America (and more specifically, the United States).

But my fault for not directing you to an exhibit that had been entered into evidence: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/06......-alarmed

So now that you know he's particularly concerned by the fact that it's happening during the summer...

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"So now that you know he's particularly concerned by the fact that it's happening during the summer..."

I think the idea is that it is alarming to see it happening now, because what does that portend for records later in the year (in other parts of the world, when it is summer there) when the sun is closer.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16238 Posts

Profile of tommy
Oh so that is why its raining. Can't wait for it to come back.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It sure is odd that when I tell Lobo something he insults me, but when Bob says it Lobo thanks him. Curious very curious.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 21:28, Al Angello wrote:
It sure is odd that when I tell Lobo something he insults me, but when Bob says it Lobo thanks him. Curious very curious.

What's the thing that you and Bob both said where that happened?

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 19:49, balducci wrote:
"So now that you know he's particularly concerned by the fact that it's happening during the summer..."

I think the idea is that it is alarming to see it happening now, because what does that portend for records later in the year (in other parts of the world, when it is summer there) when the sun is closer.

Good read, if correct. I hadn't considered that possibility.

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
Insulting me just because you deny global warming is not a sign of class.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16238 Posts

Profile of tommy
In fire-ravaged Colorado, Gov. John Hickenlooper said Sunday that cool, wet weather allowed him to lift the statewide fire ban he ordered last month. The governor gave thanks to Mother Nature for "finally giving us some relief" as extreme fire conditions have abated in all of Colorado's 64 counties.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Worst Ever" Summer in the UK (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL