The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Solid vs. liquid vitamins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I tried using liquid vitamins for my doves years ago. I stopped because they did not seem to like the taste. I tried a solid kind a year ago. It seem as though it made their feathers grow back quicker. Yesterday I purchased both, solid and liquid. Have anyone noticed a difference between the two?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5104 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I always used liquid vitamins and wheat germ. Just a few drops on top of the their seed was all that was necessary.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I forgot to mention I used the liquid vitamin in the water. One or two drops. They did not like the taste. I will try dropping the liquid drops on their seeds to see what will happen.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22569 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mike, if you really want to make sure your birds get their vitamins, just buy an eyedropper from the pharmacist, he can supply glass one, he may ask you why you need it, just tell him your a magician and need them for your birds. The pharmacist can sell you an eye dropper with a screw cap and bottle.

Take some in the eye dropper and put the eyedropper in their mouth. Go a little past the back of the mouth. Then squeeze the vitamins down there throat.

Another was is to see if your birds like orange juice, and put a little watered down orange juice in their water feeders, with the vitamins in the juice. I read this method in a bird book.

Remember vitamins is a food that will spoil and cause mold, so clean their feed trays and drinking containers after putting vitamins in them.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Vitamins in water for doves has an additional problem. Doves love to play in their water. Put directly on the food, you get better assurance that it was likely ingested. There is also special feed that already has it. Do remember that doves are seed eaters. Meats and animal biproducts in thier commercial feeds is not on the "want list".

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks guys. I will no longer place the drops in the water again. I will place the drops on the seeds only. If I see a major problem, I will place it down their throat.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5104 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, look at the vitamins your are buying. Some are made for water and some are made for seed. You need to have the right type.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It is by Ecotrition 8 in 1. It is called Vita-Sol Multi Vitamin. It reads:

"Directions: Gently squeeze bottle. Add 1 drop (0.05g) daily per fluid ounce of drinking water, and 1 drop (0.05g) per ounce of dry seed."
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5104 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ecotrition 8 in 1 is fine for both just as it says.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Like Dave, I use liquid vitamins and wheat germ oil...both mixed in with the seed. My birds seem to like it fine. The only minor complaint I have is that sometimes my doves get some yellow staining on their breast feathers.

Regan
Mister Mystery
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Regan ... to avoid those stains we have a wooden tray about a half inch thick, covered with 3/8 hex square hex mesh, the birds have to peck at the seed thru the square mesh, keeps them off their seed, and from spreading it all around, like they do when they are searching for their favorite seed.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Chris, that is a fabulous idea! Thanks so much for sharing it! I bought some cool feeders that are supposed to minimize the wasted seed, but it doesn't help a lot. My birds still manage to waste as much as they eat....or more. I will try to make a tray with the mesh when I get some time.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Solid vs. liquid vitamins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL